1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Nerf Bar Repair?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by oklahomastig, May 23, 2014.

1. May 23, 2014 at 11:56 AM
    oklahomastig

oklahomastig [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TSS 4x4
    I have a 2013 TSS Double Cab 4x4, with stock Nerf Bars (Step bars). I scraped a parking lot pole while on vacation and messed up the nerf bars and my rear door. I'm probably going to have the body shop fix the door, but for the nerf bars, I'm going to fix myself since structurally, they're still fine. Under the rear "Pad" for the step, it got bent in about an inch and the whole length behind the bracket is bent a little bit. I might try and get a picture later. Anyway I got most of the yellow paint off by using 150 grit sandpaper, however there are still a few areas of bare metal exposed now and the rough finish is now smooth in that area. I dont' care about the texture as much as I do the bare metal. The guy at the body shop recommended spray on rubber undercoating to cover that up. I was also thinking spray on bedliner from my local auto parts store. What do you guys think is the best way to go about it? Do I need to sand it down to bare metal before attempting a fix? Or can I spray right on top of the black material that's already there?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  2. May 23, 2014 at 2:28 PM
    welterbf123

welterbf123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    12voltsolutions.com plug-n-play remote start system. OVTuned OEM Bed lights Underhood and footwell lights Garmin dash-cam Weathertech side vents, bug shield, mud flaps and floor mats Extang Encore tonnau cover OME BP51 Suspension Front & Back / Dakar Leaf Springs Light Racing UCA's XD Holeshot 17" x 9" Wheels Nitto Trail Grapplers 265/70/R17 TRD Pro Grille Raptor Lights iJDMToy 30" LED Hidden Bar Light Toyota Bed Step
    Take the bar off and use some ingenuity to bend it back...

3. May 23, 2014 at 2:30 PM
    XPOTRPR

XPOTRPR CNC Programmer/Machinist

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    [2009 Supercharged Adventuretruck] & [1986 22r Minitruck]
    > BUILD LINKS >
    pull em off and do weld on sliders. you'll never have that happen again.

4. May 23, 2014 at 4:08 PM
    oklahomastig

oklahomastig [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TSS 4x4
    I'm not interested in bending it back, I'm fine with leaving it bent in like it is, I just want it to look more seamless. I did some more research and someone suggested instead of undercoating, which never really dries and is tacky, to do bed-liner, which I think is a much better option. I'm probably gonna tackle it this next week once the rains stop here. I was just looking for guidance on how to go about fixing it, as i'm a big noob when it comes to body work.

5. May 23, 2014 at 4:14 PM
    RacecarGuy

RacecarGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB OR
    Pelfreybilt front and rear HC bumper w/swingout, BAMF LCA Skids, BAMF Diff skid, Pelfreybilt IFS and Trans skid, RCI gas tank skid, Bronze SCS F-5's, Icon RR's ext travel, Dakar leafs, Archive Garage shackle flip
    I did my front bumper and sliders in Rustoleum Bedliner. It has a little bit of texture to it, and since its a spray can, I can touch it up whenever. Haven't had to yet, buts its only been 6 months.

6. May 23, 2014 at 4:15 PM
    vssman

vssman Rocket Engineer

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Naugatuck, CT
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 double cab
    Get yourself a can of spray on bedliner, good masking tape and a roll of either paper or plastic. Mask the truck well and spray away. Follow the directions on the spray can as you'll have to shake it ever so often.

Products Discussed in

To Top