1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ENGINE PINGING V6

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by pjs42, May 16, 2014.

1. May 18, 2014 at 2:53 AM
    triplejjj

triplejjj Pictographer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 XSP-X 4X4
    LoPro QT, Toyota Bed Mat, Husky Liners, ScanGauge, WeatherTech Deflectors, Drop in Billet Grill, Train Horns, PanoFlex Window Tint, Viper Alarm, Remote Start, Console Vault,
    Better get used to it, I tried all grades of gas as well as brands and I still get the tick, tick tick sound. Higher octane did help but just until the computer got used to it and made it's
    adjustments. I switched to mid grade now, I get about three tanks and it comes back again.

2. May 18, 2014 at 8:49 AM
    BBBsti LTD

BBBsti LTD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ashburn, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4WD
    Under what circumstances your truck pings?

3. May 18, 2014 at 12:25 PM
    BBBsti LTD

Member:
    Ashburn, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4WD
    72 degrees ere in SoCal with same gas in tank and I can't make the truck ping. My case I'm sure is correlated to air temperature. I have confirmed that few times already.

4. May 18, 2014 at 7:18 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    The ticking and pinging are unrelated.

5. May 19, 2014 at 3:21 AM
    Alloutdrs1

Alloutdrs1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    12' Mag gray Doublecab 4x4
    Distinct Offroad light bar, Rigid E-series and amber duallys, Leer 100xq, Oem roof rack, Oem bed mat, Bullculla trailer plug relocate bracket, Rear diff vent mod, front mud flap chop, Color matched Grille w/Andres devil horns, Wet okoles and weathertechs
    Mine was pinging real bad on 93 shell! I changed my plugs last week and i could not make it ping after that, and I'm on the same tank of gas that it was pinging on before the new plugs. This week I will be trying some 87 again when i fill up and see if the plugs have really made a difference. I also don't think temperature is a huge factor as mine would Ping if it was 50* or 90* and if the truck was up to operating temp or not.

6. May 20, 2014 at 3:37 AM
    triplejjj

triplejjj Pictographer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 XSP-X 4X4
    LoPro QT, Toyota Bed Mat, Husky Liners, ScanGauge, WeatherTech Deflectors, Drop in Billet Grill, Train Horns, PanoFlex Window Tint, Viper Alarm, Remote Start, Console Vault,
    Just accelerating, or going uphill. I don't really notice
    it unless I press on the gas. I can defiantly hear it
    early morning when it's quite out and no traffic noise.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  7. May 20, 2014 at 3:44 AM
    triplejjj

triplejjj Pictographer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 XSP-X 4X4
    What plugs did you put in? Temp doesn't
    matter for mine either, cold or hot out it still
    does it. Always sounds like it's out of time, but
    runs fine other than the that.

8. May 20, 2014 at 6:09 AM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR

this is in the owner manual. normal.

truck engine can handle a few pings and the knock sensors roll back timing.

87 octane/winter gas will do it...mine goes away with 89 or higher

severe constant pinging is another matter, but grunt uphill or lazy accel is normal on 87

9. May 20, 2014 at 7:36 AM
    TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Banana Nut

Member:
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Limited Crewmax 6.5' 4x4
    No issues on mine, just normal cam/camchain noise (the taco tick).

10. May 20, 2014 at 8:47 AM
    BBBsti LTD

Member:
    Ashburn, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4WD
    For some reason the hot weather causes my ping. Low to mid 70 and I can't get he truck to ping, even after lugging the engine with the auto tranny.
    It was pretty easy to do it when in the 90 degrees here. Still same has in tank thou.

11. May 20, 2014 at 11:04 AM
    triplejjj

triplejjj Pictographer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 XSP-X 4X4
    Well if everyone's engine sounded the same
    I might agree. The fact is some say it does and some say
    it doesn't. they all should pretty much sound the
    same. It's annoying to hear it everytime
    you give it the gas. As far as the the manual goes
    I guess it's easier to change some text than to fix the problem.

12. May 20, 2014 at 3:16 PM
    triplejjj

triplejjj Pictographer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 XSP-X 4X4
    Also it only does it under load, not in park or neutral.

13. May 20, 2014 at 4:08 PM
    Alloutdrs1

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Distinct Offroad light bar, Rigid E-series and amber duallys, Leer 100xq, Oem roof rack, Oem bed mat, Bullculla trailer plug relocate bracket, Rear diff vent mod, front mud flap chop, Color matched Grille w/Andres devil horns, Wet okoles and weathertechs
    I just installed the oem denso but now all 6 match instead of the bs ngk/denso mix Toyota does from the factory.

And for those that keep saying, owners manual says its normal etc.. Mine was pinging on 93!! That is not normal, no hills in my area either. As stated it can only be produced under a load and not in park or neutral. To me it seems like the tuning is off on these trucks, they should not be pinging like this.

14. May 21, 2014 at 3:42 AM
    triplejjj

triplejjj Pictographer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 XSP-X 4X4
    Why do they mix the plugs up? I've never heard of that
    before.
    Having thought about it, Pre-Detination is probably
    a better word for it.

15. May 21, 2014 at 4:10 AM
    Alloutdrs1

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Straight from the factory you have NGK plugs on the driver side and the Denso plugs on the passenger side. When i changed mine last week at 29kmiles my driver side NGK plugs had huge gaps when compared to the Denso plugs that were still at the factory .043, the smallest gap i had on the NGK was .055 and largest was .062. The Ngk plugs do not hold a gap in these trucks, my truck also seems to run so much smoother/ respond better since I installed all Denso plugs now.

16. May 21, 2014 at 4:10 AM
    Alloutdrs1

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Straight from the factory you have NGK plugs on the driver side and the Denso plugs on the passenger side. When i changed mine last week at 29kmiles my driver side NGK plugs had huge gaps when compared to the Denso plugs that were still at the factory .043, the smallest gap i had on the NGK was .055 and largest was .062. The Ngk plugs do not hold a gap in these trucks, my truck also seems to run so much smoother/ respond better since I installed all Denso plugs now.

17. May 21, 2014 at 5:30 PM
    triplejjj

triplejjj Pictographer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 XSP-X 4X4
    Here it is, in Black and White.
    [​IMG]

Thanks, I'll be changing my plugs this weekend and I'll post the results.

18. May 23, 2014 at 12:33 PM
    triplejjj

triplejjj Pictographer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 XSP-X 4X4
    I picked up the new plugs from the dealer yesterday and I swapped them out this morning.
    Here's a pic of the plugs. The two ends ones are NGK and the middle is Denso. Look at the tip on the NGK on the right, looks like some of the ceramic has burned off. I had two NGKs like this. Densos were gapped fine but the NGKs were all different. Truck runs smoother and is a little more responsive. As far a the pinks or knocks seems a lot better but I'll know more when I get a chance to drive it in the early am when it's quiet out. This with 7,000 miles on it.

[​IMG]

19. Mar 23, 2015 at 6:46 AM
    2ndtaco4me

2ndtaco4me Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma ltd & 02 Tacoma
    2013 Tacoma 4x4 Automatic V6 Limited now at 40,000 miles made in Baja Mexico - I've had the pinging since around 15,000 miles when going up a slight grade and just below 1500rpm. I thought it was just bad gas in the winter because of the ethanol additives (I have only been using the regular gas because I read some posts that said they had issues if they switched from high octane BACK to regular). Then I brought it in and asked them to check to see if there were mice in the air filter because I know that happens here a lot in the northeast. They said I should change my air filter at 20,000 miles(really? it needs to be changed that soon? humm)Feb 2015 I went to the dealership and had the TSB-0044-14 done. I had to tell them about the bulletin, they didn't know about it. I have to admit though, there was a gas station near me that has gas that really effects my truck badly. Not going there any more. I don't feel like having the TSB done changed anything. It feels like the timing has been retarded at times. Not sure how to describe it but ...It feels like it skips ever so slightly or like there is a slight shudder now going up a medium incline. I see the posts about changing the spark plugs. I live in the northeast, not the hot climates like those that are posting to change the plugs to the iridium ones.
    Is it a bad idea to change them to the iridium in the colder climates?????

On another note, there was one time I was on the highway and punched the gas to try to pass someone and it felt like the gas just totally cut out. Anyone have that problem? (this was prior to the bulletin update) Please respond

20. Mar 23, 2015 at 6:58 AM
    Why J

Why J I'm the master of my own domain.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB V6 SR5 Prerunner
    OEM Roof Rack, 3" lift, 1.25" Spidertrax Wheel Spacer, Front skid plate
    Most vechicles these days run extremely lean in OD at cruising rpm. They do it to get MPG and meet EPA regs. It does cause some minor predetination. Nothing harmful, but it will become more common as the outside temperatures rise.

If it bothers you run a higher grade of fuel. It will be less likely to predetinate.

Products Discussed in

To Top