1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How much work is it to paint my wheels?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Antixsj3, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Aug 20, 2009 at 10:27 PM
    Antixsj3

Antixsj3 [OP] Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    05 Runner
    Flowmaster 40, K&N cold air intake, smoked badges, still adding....
    Alright so heres the deal guys I love my tacoma and I really enjoy working and tinkering with it but im not the most skilled in the automotive field. And recently ive been interested in painting my wheels i was just wondering if someone could give me some insight on how much work it really is? i pretty much know what it all takes. but i dont got a jack with exception of the one that comes with the truck and i dont have and stands. Any info from ya guy would be awsome. And if you guys gpt any other ideas for bada** upgrades to the truck let me know.

2. Aug 20, 2009 at 10:55 PM
    SRQ TACO

SRQ TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Damon
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 5lug Lowered & 2008 Tacoma 4x4 Lifted
    DIY is not that hard just take your time masking and applying coats.

My jeep wheels I'm painting.

P20-08-09_1216_958bf3504486603c819218c982936fbf0f0d0997.jpg

3. Aug 20, 2009 at 11:05 PM
    Antixsj3

Antixsj3 [OP] Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    05 Runner
    Hey thanks guys for saying im behind the power curve. I know i got some learning but i just really like moding my truck im just not the best ya know.

4. Aug 20, 2009 at 11:47 PM
    Dellosa89

Dellosa89 Love peace and Taco Grease

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Murrieta CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner TRD Off Road
    Fox 2.5 Coilovers, Camburg 1.25" UCA's, Icon RR, Icon aal,EVS foam bump stops, Borla Catback, HID Headlights and fogs, Defiant light bar, 3 hella 700 hid, Satellite Radio, Sony hu with 10'' sub, custom jetski rack, TRD seat covers, secondary air filter removed.
    its not that bad its really easy just let them dry for a least 2 hours and be careful when putting them on i chipped mine with the lung nut wrench cause the paint was not cured.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Aug 21, 2009 at 12:06 AM
    Dellosa89

Dellosa89 Love peace and Taco Grease

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Murrieta CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner TRD Off Road
    Fox 2.5 Coilovers, Camburg 1.25" UCA's, Icon RR, Icon aal,EVS foam bump stops, Borla Catback, HID Headlights and fogs, Defiant light bar, 3 hella 700 hid, Satellite Radio, Sony hu with 10'' sub, custom jetski rack, TRD seat covers, secondary air filter removed.
    just ask a friend for some jack stands and another jack. doing all 4 at the same time will be much faster.

6. Aug 21, 2009 at 9:46 AM
    dw77x

dw77x Those are not my pants

Member:
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma Sport LB
    5100's all 4 corners (front at 2.5"), rear tsb springs with 1.5" AAL, 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2's
    Here is my $.02 and please don't take this the wrong way. It is great that you want to do your own work that is the best way to learn! I would recomend going out and buying a mid priced jack and set of stands first. Everyone that does their own work will need them from time to time. Rotate tires, brakes, lifts etc. Then take em off and do them on the ground the right way, I think you will be much happier.

7. Aug 21, 2009 at 10:02 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah...Check out sears or autozone or any local hardware/auto parts place. For 150 you can probably get a jack and stands- and if you really like to tinker- They will be INVALUABLE.

It took me a weekend to paint mine. I installed them carefully before the paint had completely cured...but they have stayed fine for over a year. I touched them up on the truck while painting my sliders because they have some real obvious trail scars.

Take your time cleaning and prepping and they will be great.

8. Aug 21, 2009 at 10:04 AM
    Death_Stalker

Death_Stalker " The Master Ninja"

Member:
    First Name:
    Talha
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner LE
    TRD Pro Wheels BFG AT Tires
    What paint should be used? anything else besides the pain? is sanding necessary?

9. Aug 21, 2009 at 10:10 AM
    Antixsj3

Antixsj3 [OP] Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    05 Runner
    Yeah from what i seen you need to sand all of it, definatley a big pain in the ass. but if its done right it will look real nice and last alot longer. As far as the paint they make wheel paint but im sure any metal surface paint will work. But you need plastic paint for the center cap.

10. Aug 21, 2009 at 10:14 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    As far as sanding goes- I felt it was cause the paint was beading up a bit on the rim. I think there is a bit clearcoat type finish on there. Folks have used scotchbrite pads and that broke it up enuf to let the paint stick.

I used Duplicolor Satin Black regular rattle can paint. Lots of people like Krylon Fusion for the plastic caps...I didn't re-install mine...so I just shot them with the Duplicolor so if I want to I can put them back on.

11. Aug 21, 2009 at 10:19 AM
    dw77x

Member:
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma Sport LB
    5100's all 4 corners (front at 2.5"), rear tsb springs with 1.5" AAL, 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2's
    Do you have a pic handy of your painted sport wheels w/no center caps. (this may become this Sunday's project for me as well)

12. Aug 21, 2009 at 10:25 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Ask and you shall receive:
    [​IMG]

There are some close ups from during/after painting in my gallery-pages 4 and 5.

13. Aug 21, 2009 at 10:27 AM
    dw77x

Member:
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma Sport LB
    Thank you!! :D

14. Aug 21, 2009 at 10:32 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Welcome- It's totally worth it. While I had the wheels off- I also painted the calipers in front (red) and the drums and hubs (front and back) black.

15. Aug 21, 2009 at 9:16 PM
    DDD

DDD Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA

Pics?

16. Sep 3, 2009 at 9:27 AM
    619Tacoma

619Tacoma Baja bound

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5, Sport, 4dr
    - Billstein 5100's all around with OME 885 coil springs. - K&N Air Filter - HID Headlights & Fogs - Kenwood Stereo & Infinity Speakers - CB Radio, - Fog On Anytime mod - Anti Tailgate theft mod. More comming...
    How did you paint the calipers and drums? what sort of prepping did you do?

Also, If i paint my wheels black and then change tires in a few months, will the paint get chipped when they change the tires?

17. Sep 3, 2009 at 9:39 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Sorry...Missed this request- Check my gallery.

I used spray paint for everything. They make caliper paint that I used for the red and the black I used the same Satin black Duplicolor I have on my rims. I got a hose and a bucket with a scrub brush...Clean everything really well and then wiped down with alcohol. Used about 3 days worth of newspaper to cover and mask everything I could. I don't think i even primed the calipers...They were still raw metal. Sprayed on about two coats per side.

For the black in front...waited until I put the tires back on and sprayed some light coats to cover the center of the hub (i did not replace the caps). The back I cleaned, masked, primed, and painted same way as above.

As for chipping due to tire changes- It shouldn't. I just did my own tire swap a couple weeks back and I didn't chip any of them...The machines aren't really susoposed to touch the rim I don't think. Carelessness might get them chipped I guess...but they are easy to fix.

18. Sep 3, 2009 at 11:17 AM
    619Tacoma

619Tacoma Baja bound

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5, Sport, 4dr
    - Billstein 5100's all around with OME 885 coil springs. - K&N Air Filter - HID Headlights & Fogs - Kenwood Stereo & Infinity Speakers - CB Radio, - Fog On Anytime mod - Anti Tailgate theft mod. More comming...
    Thanks Brunes!

I'm hoping to get my truck lifted and different tires put on in the future months. For now i was thinking about painting the wheels black to make it look different than stock until i save up the money for the lift. It's hard to save when I party a lot though...

Anyway, thanks for the info

19. Sep 3, 2009 at 11:20 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:

That was my reasoning for painting. I could have dropped 1500 on tires and rims....or I spent about 20 bucks for paint and 120 for some used tires...and I'm set until I save up some cheese for the new set up.

Good luck...Let me know if you have any more questions.

Products Discussed in

To Top