1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

No backup camera in my new truck

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ikonomore, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Jun 28, 2009 at 3:00 PM
    ttylerr

ttylerr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Fort McMurray, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM 4Banger 4x4
    5% tint all around, Alpine IVA-W505, 16x8 Mojave Teflon Rims w/Hercules Terra Trac 265/75, Grillcraft Grill, Slimcubby HIDs, Front 5100's @ 0 w/Eibach 1.6" springs, URD Short Shifter, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, Uniden Pro510XL and K30Mag Mount, Relentless Fab Bumper soon to come
    My '09 came with the camera in the tailgate, no monitor.
    I'm hoping to find a way to wire it into my alpine HU :)

2. Aug 21, 2009 at 5:58 PM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    I have the same plastic piece instead of the camera. Just picked up my truck tonight. All the wires are there but the camera is missing.

Anyone figure out where to order the camera lens from?

Cheers. :cheers:

3. Aug 21, 2009 at 6:15 PM
    stang88

stang88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    i have the camera and the mirror and i also have my rear camera hooked into my double din.. maybe i should put my mirror for sale/trade for someones stock.lol

4. Aug 21, 2009 at 6:18 PM
    grassflatsfisher

grassflatsfisher Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Florida
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD OffRoad DC
    Grille Guard, Husky Liners, More to come...only got 800miles on it.
    I wasn't looking for it as a option...but I can tell you I don't know that I'll buy another truck that doesn't have it. I can hook up to my boat trailer in like 3 secs and not have to push it around for final adjustment at all. Ridiculous! I love it! My dad is so jealous of it...

5. Aug 21, 2009 at 6:22 PM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    Yes I know that's it's really useful. My wife has one on her Rav4.

My Tacoma is wired for the review camera. It even has the warning sticker saying that the wire needs to be unhooked before removing the tailgate. I understand that most '09's came with the camera lens in the tailgate handle as well. However, mine is similar to the picture above. There is a black plastic blank and no camera lens in the tailgate handle.

I'm wondering if anyone figured out where to order the tailgate handle lens or if there is a Toyota part number for it?

Cheers.

6. Aug 21, 2009 at 8:32 PM
    Raven65

Raven65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Camden, SC
    Vehicle:
    '09 Magnetic Gray Reg Cab 5-Lug
    Curt hitch, D-rings, bed mat
    I have a base 2.7L 2WD Reg Cab - and I definitely DO have the camera in the tailgate handle. I bought the truck in February '09, so it is a fairly early build for the year. I also have the yellow sticker on the side of the bed warning about the wiring for it going to the tailgate - and the actual wiring seems to be there. I do NOT have the monitor in the mirror. I haven't pulled the headliner down to see if the wiring is up there for it yet - but I plan to. If it is, I'm going to keep an eye out in the salvage yards and on eBay for a used monitor/mirror and eventually snag one and hook it up. I would LOVE to have it to help me hook up my boat trailer.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Aug 21, 2009 at 9:11 PM
    RogueLeader

RogueLeader Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab SR5 TRD
    As far as I know, a tow package has to be added to make the camera active. At least that's what I was told by a reliable salesperson. The camera is included in a number of tailgates, but isn't wired unless there is an installed trailer hitch from the factory.

8. Aug 22, 2009 at 12:55 AM
    rustyg61

rustyg61 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rusty
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab, Speedway Blue
    Chrome front grille, cruise control, intermittent wipers, NASTA Nerf Bars. Fog Lights JVC Stereo Pioneer speakers
    My 2009 Double Cab base model does not have the camera.

9. Aug 22, 2009 at 12:37 PM
    Raven65

Raven65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Camden, SC
    Vehicle:
    '09 Magnetic Gray Reg Cab 5-Lug
    Curt hitch, D-rings, bed mat
    That may be true.... I honestly don't know. I do know that I definitely have the wiring conduit going from the tailgate to the bed, but I don't know if there are actually wires running through it to the camera. It doesn't make sense that they'd put it there if it didn't, but who knows. I'll find out soon enough.

Also, it is my understanding that the camera is more of a safety device to help make sure you don't run over kids/pets/etc. or hit any obstacles when backing up than being an aid for hooking up trailers (although that ability is a nice side-effect) - so I wouldn't think having a trailer hitch or not would have any bearing on whether or not the camera is installed. Your salesman might a rare one who actually knows what he's talking about, but it's been my experience that most of them are pretty clueless about the cars they sell - and cars in general. Most of them are just "salesmen" hawking a product. They could just as well be selling vinyl siding as cars. I have yet to buy a vehicle from a dealership (and I've bought many) when I didn't know more about the vehicle than the salesman. Then again... I've been a car nut since I could walk & talk and have read about them constantly ever since - so I'm not their typical customer.

10. Aug 22, 2009 at 5:19 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    2009, no tow package, had camera and rearview mirror monitor. It was part of the SR5 package.

11. Aug 23, 2009 at 1:03 PM
    Rickochet

Rickochet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma Access 2.7 4 x 2
    Added VS Wipers, Cruise Control, DRL, Undercover SE Bed Cover
    I have a basic '09 Access cab. It came with the camera which is wired and has wiring plug under headliner. All I have to do is add the monitor mirror.

Products Discussed in

To Top