1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Finally Joining the Taco Club - Looking for Some Input

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Corpy, May 27, 2014.

1. May 27, 2014 at 4:50 PM
    Corpy

Corpy [OP] Member

Member:
    Hi all,

I've always been infatuated with single cab Tacomas, but just couldn't justify throwing down the money for one until now.. My '98 Passat finally bit the dust for good. My dad (former Taco owner) and many others I have talked to have tried to convince me I need an access cab, but I'm not having it. I love the look of the 4x4 standard cabs, and I don't have any other people to haul around nor do I need extra interior space. I like the idea of having more maneuverability as well. I'll be using my new purchase mostly as a bicycle hauler and winter commuter. Otherwise, I ride my motorcycle pretty much everywhere. I'd like to get a dirtbike in the near future, too, so I'll probably be throwing that in the bed when the time comes.

Anyway, I'm curious as to what you guys think on a couple things. Namely, should I buy new or used?

The MSRP on a new Standard Cab 4x4 Taco is $22,835. From what I've read, I can expect to pay around $23,000 to drive off the lot with one. Sound right?

If that's the case, I feel I should go with a used rig. Here are a couple I'm considering:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/4480040608.html (Seems really well taken care of and a decent price.)

or

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/4475543042.html (My favorite from the listings I've looked at.)

If these used trucks were well cared for, as it appears they were, there's no reason I shouldn't just pull the trigger on one, right? I guess it would give me peace of mind to have the warranty that comes with a new truck, but I feel it's something that I realistically would not ever use. Thoughts?

What would you do? How much can I expect to talk the price down on these used ones? $500 or so?

All input much appreciated. I've just a young buck and I've never bought anyhing this expensive before. Haha. Much thanks. Looking forward to input.

2. May 27, 2014 at 5:04 PM
    Zachs Taco

Zachs Taco Member

Member:
    I have a 2011 reb cab 4x4 auto tranny I love it!!!

3. May 27, 2014 at 5:06 PM
    vrod671

vrod671 The Okayest Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Sport
    Stock
  4. May 27, 2014 at 5:12 PM
    Drinknmolson

Drinknmolson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wheat Ridge, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 DCSB sport
    My input fwiw is get what you want. I would love a reg cab w/a v6 but im hauling kids. Keep in mind your future plans, bicycles are easy to haul around in any pickup but a dirt bike is going to have some weight to it, let alone adding in some camp gear and that 4 banger may not be enough power, or maybe it will. I bought used, don't rush i to anything if you have the time shop around drive some trucks and sleep on it so you can buy with confidence!

5. May 27, 2014 at 5:13 PM
    Corpy

Corpy [OP] Member

Member:
    It's gotta be a manual tranny for me! Part of the reason that a Tacoma is so appealing over any other boring truck. :)

VRod, I've already spend a good amount of time lurking in that thread! Haha.

6. May 27, 2014 at 5:16 PM
    vrod671

vrod671 The Okayest Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Sport
    Stock
    smart man you are sir!

7. May 27, 2014 at 5:17 PM
    avw4x4

avw4x4 Well-Hung Member

Member:
    First Name:
    (M)Andrew
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    2003 Yota
    ...loading....
    If buying used I would get slightly higher miles. I got mine with 60k for $13k, I drive roughly 30k a year so spending $7k more for one year less miles wasn't really worth it. If you want one with that low miles you might as well look new, full warranty may be worth it.

A dirt bike isn't going to slow you down at all, I'd be very surprised if you even noticed it.

I love my reg cab 2.7 5 speed, fits though the tight trails much easier than the big rigs :D

8. May 27, 2014 at 5:27 PM
    Corpy

Corpy [OP] Member

Member:
    avw, Something like this?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/ctd/4490508280.html

Price seems way to high for this one, yeah? I guess I could always lowball.

DrinknMolson, I'm not worried about being underpowered. You should see some of the shit I've hauled on my motorcycle. Even my old 250 Ninja. haha. There's some pleasure to be had in using something to it's limit. :)

9. May 27, 2014 at 5:39 PM
    rademan11

rademan11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    4X4 trd off road
    Ranch Topper, Bull Bar.....Yes, I know everyone thinks they are crap, I like the look
    $23K for new or $20k used,
    I'll go new every time.
    $3k is not enough to take a chance on used.
    I know I'm one of the few that feels this way.
    I HATE used unless we are talking old, old, old.
    If we are looking at newer used vehicles, I go new.
    Warranty and history.
    Whenever someone I know gets rid of a "almost new" vehicle, it is because something serious is wrong with it or it has been in a major wreck.

10. May 27, 2014 at 5:42 PM
    avw4x4

avw4x4 Well-Hung Member

Member:
    First Name:
    (M)Andrew
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    2003 Yota
    ...loading....
    I would poke around more. If you're going to spend over 18k it's sorta hard to justify not buying new just for the warranty. Unless it's very low miles I wouldn't buy a used reg cab for anything more than 16k :notsure:

Like I said I got mine with 60k for $13k, deals are out there if you keep your eyes peeled. I wouldn't even bother trying to lowball that one, price is way too high IMO

11. May 27, 2014 at 6:21 PM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    I really like the look of the 2011 you posted first. Nice free perks - good tires, rear bumper, tonneau cover. That would cost you a couple grand if you bought that stuff for a new one. I wouldn't be scared to buy a used one. If you find one that you like go for it. Extra warranty isn't worth a few thousand to me. If it was a Dodge, yeah. Bigger deal.

Integrated bluetooth is a nice factory option though.

12. May 27, 2014 at 6:38 PM
    BabyTaco

BabyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 RC Tacoma
    Id buy used. Got mine somewhere close to 20k with 500 miles and got to keep the warranty...not like I will ever use it though. I have no problem buying used...I think buying new is one of the dumbest things you could do. I could have turn around and sold my truck a year after for close to the same price easily. I would have found one with higher miles but it was tough to find a 4x4 that didn't have some stupid body lift on it.

13. May 27, 2014 at 7:13 PM
    nickonfire700

nickonfire700 Reg. Cab Nation Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    05 Reg Cab SR5 4x4
    Satoshi grill, 3rd Gen TRDOR Bucket Seats, TRD front skid plate, TRD Beadlock Wheels, TRD Exhaust, OEM bed mat, LCE Header, LCE Balance Shaft Delete, ECGS front diff bushing, TRD Sport LSD rear diff, Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport fog lights, Stainless Steel Brake-lines, No A/C with Defrost mod, 2014 OEM Radio, Illuminating 4x4 switch, Various LEDs, UWS Toolbox, Proven Design Products Mudflaps, Bilstein 8112 front Coilovers w/ rear Bilstein 5125's/IronMan lift leaf springs, Archive Garage Hammer Hangers, JBAs HD UCAs, SOS Bolt-On rock sliders, TRD bedside decals, ImMrYo Mirror Bracket, Relocated rear diff breather, 2019 Steering wheel, color matched door handles
    The first truck you have listed is from a member on here. You might be able to talk to him about the truck.
    But like some other people said in this thread, if your looking to pay almost new prices on a used truck, I would just go new. Unless your looking to spend less, keep searching. That's what I had to do to find my truck (took a few months of looking).

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  14. May 27, 2014 at 8:00 PM
    boomer6

boomer6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    TN
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Offroad
    disabled DRLs disabled seat belt chime disabled the key in the ignition with door open buzzer Installed Illuminated 4wd switch circuit board Marker lights Flashing with turn signals Toggle switch ABS Disable Fog Lights on AnyTime Mod Changed to Yellow bulbs in the Fog Lights Converted interior lights to leds Installed oem roof rack Installed Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags and Daystar Cradles for the air bags Added oil catch can Relentless Tailgate Protector installed
    As stated a few times above. When paying almost new prices, I would go new. I liked having a warranty.

15. May 27, 2014 at 8:13 PM
    Corpy

Corpy [OP] Member

Member:
    Good God, If I could find a deal like that, I'd be on it in a second! How is that even possible? haha.

I can hold off for a while (commuting on the moto is no prob), but I'm really getting sick of riding only the MTB trails near my house. I need a bike hauler!

But from the input you all have provided, it sounds like I'll either buy new or wait around for a deal to pop up. Sigh...

16. May 28, 2014 at 11:04 AM
    Corpy

Corpy [OP] Member

Member:
    It seems that much of the motivation for buying new is the fact that a new vehicle comes with a warranty. That second Taco I linked to in my original post is certified, which means it comes with 12mo/12,000 mile comprehensive warranty and a 7 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty. I also like that it comes with the extras. I think I'm sold. I'll probably go for a Certified used truck. Unfortunately, I think the truck above is already sold...

17. May 28, 2014 at 11:23 AM
    WThomas1250

WThomas1250 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Not a Tacoma, but I recently bought a new 2014 Honda Civic to DD. I started out looking at used, but if you're buying "slightly used" it's hardly ever worth it. I test drove a 2012 Civic with 66k miles and they wanted $4k less than a new one. For a new one with 8 miles on the ODO, its worth the extra $4k. Just my .02

18. May 28, 2014 at 11:30 AM
    Haslefre

Haslefre Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra
    Some flags and center console divider... lots of things on the wanted list.
  19. May 28, 2014 at 11:37 AM
    Winker

Winker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2019 Subaru WRX
    I bought new so my vote is buy new. Doesn't cost a whole lot more to buy new than used. Also the 4x4 regular cabs are the sexiest trucks on the planet. That's not an opinion that's a fact. Girls used to not talk to me. I now own a regular cab and they can't stop bothering me... but not really. Just go to the dealership and see if it's your lucky day.

20. May 28, 2014 at 5:09 PM
    GuitarGuy91

GuitarGuy91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OffRoad Acc Cab (ordered)
    The resale on the Tacomas is pretty good, so hard to justify getting one that's just 2-3 yrs old when a few extra grand gets you brand new with warranty and very low mileage.

For me, I love looking at the odometer and thinking "These miles are all mine and all my memories." Maybe it's a littler weird or cheesey but that's me.

Not to say pre-owned is bad, especially if you find a good deal. Good luck, OP!

Products Discussed in

To Top