1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

App radio3 and 5 channel amp install question

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by mo13, May 28, 2014.

1. May 28, 2014 at 11:06 PM
    mo13

mo13 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Orange park, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR
    Icon RR extended length coilovers with cdc,Icon RR 2.0 custom length shocks, Icon tube UCA,all pro standard leaf pack,allpro u bolt flip kit,extended front and rear steel braided brake lines,CMC,super bumps, color matched mirror covers, relentless fab front bumper, smittybilt 8k winch with syn line, viking thimble and hawse fairlead, d2s retro fits, 20" led bar on bamf bracket, 4 rigid duallys, skygear fuse box, viper remote start, and a very shotty made satoshi raptor mesh grill made by myself haha
    How's it going fellas tried searching for an answer but couldn't find it and I don't wanna burn out any of the new audio stuff I just got either but I have a appradio3 installed in my truck already a 2010 dbl cab and I just picked up all this stuff yesterday and I'm looking to wire up the amp but the HU only has 2 sets of RCA out puts. So my question to y'all is how do I go about powering all 4 speakers and the sub. Here is a link to what all I purchased. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...peaker-system-amp-taco-tunes-install-kit.html

2. May 28, 2014 at 11:09 PM
    mo13

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Orange park, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR
    Icon RR extended length coilovers with cdc,Icon RR 2.0 custom length shocks, Icon tube UCA,all pro standard leaf pack,allpro u bolt flip kit,extended front and rear steel braided brake lines,CMC,super bumps, color matched mirror covers, relentless fab front bumper, smittybilt 8k winch with syn line, viking thimble and hawse fairlead, d2s retro fits, 20" led bar on bamf bracket, 4 rigid duallys, skygear fuse box, viper remote start, and a very shotty made satoshi raptor mesh grill made by myself haha
    From what I understand I need to still buy the amp power wire and the RCA connection and speaker wire for the speakers. I run the amp power wire to the amp and the ground hook those up. Then hook up a power wire from the head unit to the amp so it knows when to turn on/off and then wire up each speaker and the sub. Only part I'm confused on is getting signal from the head unit to the amp. I was under the impression that I needed 3 sets of RCA connections one for the sub and one for each set of speakers front and rear any help would be awesome thanks.

3. May 29, 2014 at 6:23 AM
    2013TacoLTD

2013TacoLTD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Mckinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma Limited V6 4X2
    Radio On Mod, Complete new stereo with 10" subs, Truxedo bed cover, GT-MAT through doors and rear cab.
    I think because of the built in amp (50x4) they expect a lot of people will not be using another amp. You have a few options:
    1. Wire the front door speakers and sub through the amp, running the rear door speakers strainght from the deck (like on page 13 here shows)

2. Use a splitter like this one to make your pair of RCA's connect to all 4 speakers on the amp. This is what I would do, but understand you will not have any fader ability, except on the amp.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

4. May 29, 2014 at 7:26 AM
    mo13

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Orange park, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR
    Thanks for the help 2013tacoltd. If I went with option 2 I would need the 2 splitters and three sets of RCA cables right? One for each set of speakers and one for the sub right?

5. May 29, 2014 at 7:28 AM
    2013TacoLTD

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Mckinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma Limited V6 4X2
    Radio On Mod, Complete new stereo with 10" subs, Truxedo bed cover, GT-MAT through doors and rear cab.
    I would get 2 RCA cables (one for door speakers and one for sub) able to be run from deck to amp, then use 2 splitters right at the amp (for door speakers).

6. May 29, 2014 at 7:51 AM
    mo13

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Orange park, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR
    Awesome that makes since it's my first real install so I wanna have everything I need on hand and avoid making trips back and forth to audio stores to buy stuff. Also I was reading up on the specs of all the speakers and amps and can I run the speakers off this amp it seems kinda to strong?
    That is for the amp
    4 ohm 60x4+250
    2 ohm 120x4+375
    1ohm 500x1

6x9 are 50 watts each 110 peak
    6.5 are 70 watts each 140 peak
    Sub is 300 watts 600 peak

So my question is in the 4 ohm configuration the 6x9 are gonna be 10watts over there RMS. But good on there overall peak. My knowledge base on electrical and audio in general isn't all that great so just wanna be safe I think I'll be good but for warm and fuzzies figured id ask.

7. May 29, 2014 at 8:59 AM
    2013TacoLTD

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Mckinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma Limited V6 4X2
    I think you will be fine. There is a theory that you want an amp to be more powerful than the speakers because you never completely crank up your system to the max anyway.

Definitely show us the competed project and post or PM me if you have any other questions!

8. May 29, 2014 at 10:14 AM
    mo13

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Orange park, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR
    will do and appreciate all the help man.

9. May 29, 2014 at 11:00 AM
    ZMan2k2

ZMan2k2 “Hold my beer and watch this!”

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    What I would do, so you can retain fader control, is connect the Y-adapters to the fronts, and sub. Then you can fade the rears to your liking off the deck, and still have full power to the fronts and sub. Just make sure, when you set up the amp, that you properly set the crossovers, so you're not sending too high a signal to your sub. Most people create crossover points around 80Hz, so Hi-pass would be 80Hz+ for the fronts, and 80Hz and down for the sub.

10. May 29, 2014 at 11:04 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    What amplifier is it?

Most 5 channel amps have a switch telling the amp where it should get the subwoofer signal from IF you choose not to plug anything into the RCAs that feed the sub channel. Check out the picture below. The switch I'm talking about is at the bottom right.
    [​IMG]

11. May 29, 2014 at 3:09 PM
    mo13

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Orange park, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR
    its a MB Quart Onyx 980w 5 channel amplifier (4x80 + 500) i needa check it out and see if it has that switch. thanks guys

12. May 29, 2014 at 3:09 PM
    mo13

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Orange park, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR
    in this configuration the rear speakers wont be hooked up to the amp at all right?

Products Discussed in

To Top