1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Entune Questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by lonecountryboy, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Mar 15, 2014 at 7:18 PM
    lonecountryboy

lonecountryboy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So finally bought another Taco yesterday (2014 SR5 DCSB). Everything works great I just noticed that when I use the USB stick for music it doesn't use the folders I have created on the usb drive. It will list all of them by whatever order you want alphabetical, genre etc. Does anybody know how to make it use the folders you already have on the drive? My old stereo recognized the different folder and you just flipped between folders, it was an aftermarket pioneer player about 4 years old. I can't believe this system can't do that or am I missing something?

2. Mar 15, 2014 at 8:20 PM
    1of7627

1of7627 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Post Falls, ID
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCLB Ltd, '63 Corvair Spyder
    Things I need to tow.
    The manual says that the folder can be specified or selected if a USB source is used. I haven't tried it, but sounds like it's do-able. Check your manual under Multimedia system.

3. Mar 16, 2014 at 8:25 AM
    lonecountryboy

Member:
    Tried that but it won't come up under folders it just comes up in a list with the options of genre, by song, etc. Kinda stupid if you ask me nobody else does it that way.

4. Apr 15, 2014 at 9:20 PM
    marcdiaz100

marcdiaz100 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Dido. Same here. 2014 Tacoma with the Entune Audio Plus (not premium).
    This is ancient technology (using & navigating music folders on USB). I have two head units in my two other cars (Pioneer and JVC). These are between 7 to 4 years old (head units) and they easily navigate through music folders. Folder navigation is highly intuitive in both units. The Pioneer doesn't even have an LCD display and I can very easily navigate folders. I think someone at Toyota needs to get fired. I don't claim to be the most intelligent person on the planet, but I think being an Engineer who writes embedded software and performs electronic design, I should be able to figure this out without too much difficulty. Not the case with this Entune Audio Plus stereo.

The manual does say you can use the TUNE knob to select folders (when playing a CD). You would think the same functionality would apply to the USB drive.

Just don't get it ????

Anyone figure this out yet ?

5. Apr 16, 2014 at 1:24 AM
    TxFireman

TxFireman Factory Pilot

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC-SB TRD-OR, tow package, entune/nav
    I edited my music files on my laptop. I have so many random songs and artists that I just created made up album names. I would click on the file and down at the bottom of the screen it has all the song info. With downloaded songs most of it is often blank, which is why the trucks radio won't show much on screen info. So I just manually put in info. Song title, artist, made up album name just to group like songs etc. You also can add the order they play in by track number as well as genre. As for songs that I ripped onto the USB from CDs I had, I didn't have to do anything. For my downloaded stuff all the info I edited in comes up on screen. The only thing lacking is the album art since I made the album name up. But I do get a generic album art based on the genre, like rock or whatever.

6. May 30, 2014 at 5:25 PM
    cpyne

cpyne Member

Member:
    Ashland, MA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Off Road
    Bump on this.....

I would love to know if there is any way to get the USB playback to work based on folders in my 2014 Tacoma. Sure, its great that you can play back based on Artist, Genre, Track, etc., but who cares... All I really want is "Folder" so I can play either full albums or the giant "misc" folder that I have. I'm assuming they just over thought this and ditched folder playback.

Anyone have any ideas or is this a lost cause?

Also, is it possible to update Entune to a newer version?

7. May 30, 2014 at 5:43 PM
    tacotacoburrito

tacotacoburrito Well-Known Member

Member:
    Not possible when using USB media

8. May 30, 2014 at 8:29 PM
    jtweezy

jtweezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2014 4X4 DCSB OR V6
    Are you playing music from a phone or flash drive?

If phone, can you create playlists to achieve the goal?

9. May 30, 2014 at 8:51 PM
    molimelight

molimelight Well-Known Member

Member:
    MO
    Vehicle:
    14' Pyrite Mica TRD Sport 4X4
    This intrigued me, as I had always had this ability on my Sony head unit that I had in my 99 and sure enough, you can't scroll through folders on USB in Entune. :confused: So I came up with a workaround for those of you who want this functionality. Since you can play albums, and all of my music is sorted by folder that way (Artist - Album) I probably won't need this, but it might prove useful as a way to do playlists without all of the mess of copying playlists over to a USB.

Get this program, It's called MP3tag: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/download.html

It's a great program and useful for making changes to the MP3 tags for groups of songs if there's something you want to change from a CD you ripped or downloaded. It doesn't change the MP3 itself, just the tag, so your music is safe. It's freeware but you can donate through PayPal.

Take your USB Drive and create the folders you want on there. Say, if I wanted to do a playlist I could name the folder Playlist 1.

Copy the MP3 songs you want into that folder.
    Open up MP3 Tag. Select Tools / Options.
    Go down the list of options and under Tag Panel select Genres.
    There you will have the option of creating user defined genres.
    I made one that says Playlist 1 to match the folder that the music is in. (You can select show only user defined genres here also to make the next step easier.)
    Select OK to save the changes and exit the Options dialogue.
    In the main MP3 Tag program select File / Change Directory.
    Navigate to your directory on the USB Drive. Here I navigate to Playlist 1. It will show all of the songs in that directory.
    Go up and select Edit / Select all files. They will all show a blue background to show they are selected.
    On the left is a box showing all of the MP3 Tag fields of the selected songs. Program settings default to <keep> for all fields which just means when you save the tag, nothing will be changed in that field.
    Go to the field of Genre and select your directory name from the list of User Defined Genres. Here I select Playlist 1.
    Go to the top and select Save and it will save that change to the MP3 tag of all of the selected songs.
    Now when you put that USB drive in the USB slot and select it in Entune you can select the "Genre" that corresponds to that directory and it will show all of the songs in that directory. You can scroll through or play them randomly.

That seems like major pain when it's written out like that, but it's not very complicated or time consuming once you do it if you have any computer savy at all. :)

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  10. May 31, 2014 at 9:21 AM
    lonecountryboy

Member:
    Thanks Molimelight that did the trick, kinda of a lot of work just to get the damn entune to recognize folders. Oh well it is what it is, thanks again.

11. May 31, 2014 at 12:06 PM
    molimelight

molimelight Well-Known Member

Member:
    MO
    Vehicle:
    14' Pyrite Mica TRD Sport 4X4
    No problem, glad I could help. Now, the caveat here is that you copy the files to a folder and do all of this, leaving the originals on your computer, so it doesn't permanently alter the information in the tags of your original files. Figured I should add that to prevent someone getting on here later saying I screwed up their files! :eek:

I'm thinking it will be a good way to do some playlists. You could even change the cover field in all of the files to something representing the folder.

I thought that this thread needed a photo, so here's what I'm listening to right now...Folder.jpg

12. Aug 9, 2014 at 7:08 PM
    soldier

soldier Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014, 4 Cyl Acces Cab. Spruce Mica
    Thanks a lot, I couldn't figure it out either

13. Aug 10, 2014 at 7:09 AM
    hotrod53

hotrod53 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lynd
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    ‘14 DCLB Sport, ‘18 TCH, ‘13 TCH
    Weathertech floor liners moded to hold OEM floor mats, weathertech vent visors, Toyota bed mat, LEER 100XL cap, hood gasket mod to stop whistling.
    I'm not using USB or folders but I'm becoming more and more dissatisfied with my Entune plus.

I've been noticing that the XM reception sucks, it drops out all of the time. I have XM in my Camry with a portable receiver and a magnetic antenna, its reception blows this Entune away, it never drops out unless I'm in a tunnel. Yesterday I discovered that the FM reception sucks too! While listening to FM because the XM kept dropping out, I discovered that FM comes in OK for a minute, then drops back almost to a mono sound, you can see the HD symbol coming in and out, and I wasn't on a HD station! IMO... P.O.S with a fancy screen!

14. Aug 10, 2014 at 8:35 AM
    SCOTTRODS

SCOTTRODS JAFO

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Garland, TX
    Vehicle:
    2014 Super White
    Anyone remember changing the "tape" or "Disc" I keep different Song sets on different USB drives (Smaller ones... (no need ot have 128 Gb on every one) A little Sticker on each one's end, and I have a lebeled drive with specific music on it. Cheap Drives are easy to procure and many companies now sell multiple drives in a pack (say 4 x 2gb and up)... This whole thing works pretty well for me.

I just don't like that every time I leave the truck and come back and re-start, I have to select "USB" media to play what's already plugged in... Does everyone else have to do that? or is it just me? and if so Is there an update available for a fix to that issue?

Mine's a base model Taco AC with entune basic radio... (Yeah, it's one of them damn touch screen models so you have to leave fingerprints all over it to use it.... UGH!)

15. Aug 10, 2014 at 8:48 AM
    pruchai

pruchai KAMA3

Member:
    First Name:
    Igor
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD TX Baja
    Not enough...
    And this, kids, is the major reason why you want stereo with Bluetooth ;)

16. Aug 10, 2014 at 8:55 AM
    SCOTTRODS

SCOTTRODS JAFO

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Garland, TX
    Vehicle:
    2014 Super White
    I've got Blue tooth... (The basic entunes have it factory as well) I have Iphone I don't like Itunes and the way the whole iPod process works.

I want, like many, to simplify and go straight FILE level MP3's... Not really a lot to ask in today's technological climate. Toyota has missed the grade here... plain and simple.

My 2012 Scion xB worked better for multiple types of interfaces.

17. Aug 10, 2014 at 5:29 PM
    soldier

soldier Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014, 4 Cyl Acces Cab. Spruce Mica
    It doesn't bother me when it comes to radio really, fucking Sirous Radio kept bugging me after I told them that I didn't want their services.

I got about 500 GB of music most of which is Underground Hip Hop, Oldies, Old School, Metal and other less popular genres. Why waste money when I have so much music. Besides Spotify works great with the BluTooth. My only complain is the speakers sound kind of low.

18. Feb 24, 2015 at 10:55 PM
    Mikeinkaty

Mikeinkaty New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 double cab long bed 4x4
    Just got a new 2015 with Entune plus and have observed the same issue with USB folder lists. This is a throwback to the dark ages! Why won't toyota do a software upgrade? I have a 16 gig drive totally full of music in folders of my choosing.

19. Feb 25, 2015 at 7:48 PM
    potstech

potstech Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midlothian, Va
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB
    Have no problems doing his on my 2013 base Etune. I just copy the music to the folder I want and insert it into the Jack on the truck. Been working since Day 1.

20. Feb 26, 2015 at 3:46 AM
    bear263

bear263 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner TRD SP
    LED interior lights. Steering wheel mod. New radio. Amp, speakers and sub woofer.
    I'm not sure what the problem is here. Having properly tagged mp3's is the key to using the radio successfully. Although I do have all mine separated into folders for ease of editing and adding, it really doesn't matter (to me) about folders for the purpose of using the radio. Choose a group, song or genre and let it go on random.

I use musicbrainz to tag all my mp3's. You can find the plugin that will add genre automatically.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015

Products Discussed in

To Top