1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

camshaft sprocket bolt removal on 2.7

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by MrRiverMan, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Jun 1, 2014 at 3:06 PM
    MrRiverMan

MrRiverMan [OP] Compulsive tinkerer

Member:
    WNC
    Vehicle:
    2003 Taco 2.7 4x4 auto, 96 Taco 2.7 4x4 manual, previously 2000 Taco 2.7 4x4 manual, 1994 22RE 4x4 manual, and 1996 T100 4x4 auto
    I'm trying to pull my camshafts in order to swap some valve shims. I've had no luck with the special tools for removing the shims, and I have to do some of the #4 valves anyway - which I've heard you can't really get to with the tools.

Two of us have been cranking pretty hard on the bolt that holds the timing chain sprocket onto the front of the input shaft. No luck getting it off. It doesn't help that you can't fit a socket in there and use a breaker bar - you have to use a wrench.

So I have two questions.

1. Anybody know a trick for getting that bolt off?

2. Anybody ever removed the camshaft without unbolting the sprocket? It looks like I could just unbolt the camshaft from the head (8 bolts) and tilt it forward to access the shims without even removing the chain. Is there any reason that this won't work?

2. Jun 1, 2014 at 3:19 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Worst comes to worst, use a crowfoot adapter so you can put on a ratchet handle or breaker bar:

[​IMG]

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Sep 27, 2014 at 2:42 PM
    gipsyfetus

gipsyfetus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hell's Half-acre, KY
    Vehicle:
    13 Tundra DC 4wd
    3in Level, Rage Roof Basket, Yakima Roof Rack, Bug Deflector, Tint, AVS Vent Visors, Maglite 4D, Nitto Terra Grappler G2s
    I followed the Haynes manual and removed the half moon plugs,fit my VW King Kong axle wrench with a 3ft breaker pipe. It wasn't easy but it broke loose.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Sep 27, 2014 at 8:12 PM
    jmlinne

jmlinne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    '97 Tacoma 4x4 w/ 5-speed manual and locking hubs, stock for now
    I believe that is what the half moons are for.

5. May 13, 2018 at 12:55 PM
    Irishpappa1016

Irishpappa1016 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    97 4runner
    We used a breaker on the front with a 19mm and a large crescent on the cam shaft right between cylinder 2 and 3. Had to put a cheater on the crescent wrench. Came right off with one on the breaker and one on the cheater. Hope this helps someone cause we too were stuck for a long time on that one!!

6. May 13, 2018 at 5:54 PM
    DrZ

DrZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    96 2.4L 5-speed
    Yes, remove the half moon. I used my homemade crankshaft holding tool to hold the gear, but you can also use a wrench on that hexagonal part of the camshaft between 2 & 3.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/homemade-crank-pulley-tool.140646/

No not try to just tip the camshaft with the gear and timing chain installed. Tipping it like that can damage the bearing surfaces.

7. Feb 23, 2022 at 5:42 PM
    sgtlethargic

sgtlethargic Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm replying to this old thread because there's what looks to be a better way to hold the cam still. I don't know why this bolt is so tight when it's supposed to be installed with 54 ft-lb of torque. In this video he uses a 5/8" diameter bar (round stock) through one of the holes in the intake sprocket. He puts some aluminum plate (don't use wood) down to protect the head from being damaged by the bar. This is at about 4:00 in the video. Someone in the comments said something about making the aluminum pieces so they can't fall into engine ("The new version of my aluminium plate has two sides that hold-on to the side of the head. It won't happen again, if I ever need to remove an intake gear again.").

3RZ cam sprocket bolt removal.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc9e5fjUNJk

How to remove a Toyota camshaft bolt (head gasket job) 3RZ-FE
    Nov 14, 2018
    What Dennis Does

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022

Products Discussed in

To Top