1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trip to the dealership turned out shitty.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cvisinho, Mar 21, 2014.

1. May 12, 2014 at 7:42 AM
    killzone90

killzone90 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ethan
    Fairdale,ky
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma
    Ill talk to r Rep and see what he says. But I know of atleast 10 trucks with bad frames I've seen that we have taken pics of and r waiting on a response

2. May 12, 2014 at 8:49 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Yeah, recently I saw tractor trailer loaded with like 10 Tacoma frames. So Toyota must bee seeing now flood of trucks wit h problems. I am guessing Toyota will have to do something since 2005-2008 trucks were purchased before 1gen recall went to effect so legally Toyota is on the hook.
    Now another question is there a possibility to get brand new frame painted wit h industrial primer/paint in Toyota body shop before gets installed?
    I am gonna check my truck for rust holes but if I am getting new frame I would like to pay extra to get a primer/paint coat on the frame before gets installed in the truck.

3. May 12, 2014 at 9:10 AM
    killzone90

killzone90 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ethan
    Fairdale,ky
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma
    I just talked to my Rep and at the end of the month the 05-08 tacos will start getting frames

4. May 12, 2014 at 11:50 AM
    5280Transplant

5280Transplant Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    NoVA by way of CO
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport SR5 Rad Red
    That is awesome!!!

5. May 12, 2014 at 12:14 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    :thumbsup:

6. May 12, 2014 at 1:03 PM
    Blain

Blain I ain't got time to bleed

Member:
    Tx
    Well shit. Guess I need to crawl under mine and perform a detailed inspection.

7. May 12, 2014 at 1:58 PM
    TwistedTLM4

TwistedTLM4 Unknown Member

Member:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Vehicle:
    '05 DCSB TRD Sport
    WeatherTech Floor Mats, WeatherTech Bug Shield and Vent Visors, Audio Upgrade, RaamAudio RaamMat & Ensolite, Mr. Marv's Custom 10" Sub Enclosure, Pop N Lock Electronic Tailgate Lock, mattgecko's Bedlights, Demello Offroad Single Hoop Bumper, Marathon Seat Covers, Leer Topper, OME885s on 5100s, @Blackout14 HD Leaf Pack
    Here's mine......
    erahupez_7bba240089a945a67470ad57498362072c8e629b.jpg

8. May 12, 2014 at 5:15 PM
    molimelight

molimelight Well-Known Member

Member:
    MO
    Vehicle:
    14' Pyrite Mica TRD Sport 4X4
    This looks like an "inside out" rust problem. A long time ago I worked at Cassen's Transport outside the Chrysler plants in St. Louis (RIP). They did corporate conversions on the old Ramcharger 4x4s for work in Alaska. (Those were real beasts!) One of the worst jobs in the shop was in the undercoating and rustproofing spray booth. Since I had low seniority, I wound up there quite a bit until some new victim got hired. When rustproofing, we used a flexible wand that we ran up inside the frame to spray the rustproofing there. Does anyone know if this is possible to get done on a new vehicle purchased from Toyota? Would body shops offer this? Just purchased a 2014 Access Cab TRD Sport last Friday after getting Toyota to agree to $9500.00 for my 99 PreRunner Regular Cab. I really don't want to go through that process again!

9. May 13, 2014 at 8:20 AM
    crux

crux Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    OR
    Honeycomb composite sleeper platform.
    Thinking out loud here. Wonder if frame saver used on bicycles would help? There is a product by J.P. Weigles called a rust inhibitor. If Toyota is going to be replacing frames it might be a moot point for one already in decay.

10. May 13, 2014 at 8:26 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    Yup my theory on this is because wheels fling ice + salt+ water inside the frame.

11. May 13, 2014 at 8:29 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    When I asked Toyta dealer to spray inside the frame they said they dont do it because there is no need for it... I had strongly Disagreed wit hthat. My dealer simply uses cans of 3m rust proofing thing, so you know they will not do inside the frame which is the whole point as picture above proves.

12. May 13, 2014 at 5:10 PM
    molimelight

molimelight Well-Known Member

Member:
    MO
    Vehicle:
    14' Pyrite Mica TRD Sport 4X4
    That doesn't make sense when you think about it. The testing that Toyota does for the buyback is using a hammer on areas that appear OK but will break through when hammered due to the rusting from the inside. Now, maybe the frame is dipped prior to assembly and the inside is coated with primer/paint, but adding extra protection just seems logical to me. Especially in high risk areas with road salt or sea salt.

I ran across this and may give it a shot when I pick up my truck on the 20th. It's the same kind of nozzle and the spray is even the same color as what I used at Cassens.

http://www.eastwood.com/internal-frame-coating-w-spray-nozzle.html

13. May 20, 2014 at 5:32 AM
    COoffRD

COoffRD ShouldaKeptTheOldOne

Member:
    First Name:
    Val
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    '05 Taco, 6sp
    I had my '05 in last wk for the 2nd axle seal & 3rd set of brake shoes in a year...the upshot is I was told my frame likely qualified to be replaced & that I would get a loaner vehicle for the week they had my truck. I've had a couple friends recommend I get the undercoating done while they have it, and even the Toyota guys said to bring in a lift kit if I want them to install it while they're in there. Currently waiting to hear back from corporate as each case is reviewed before it's accepted. The technicians' notes on my receipt say "frame separated" in 2 locations.

14. May 20, 2014 at 9:07 AM
    Ehc0720

Ehc0720 Active Member

Member:
    On the subject of carfax, I've bought 2 vehicles in the past trusting that the carfax's they gave me were good. One, a Ford Van bought used in 2004, showed no accidents. After I bought it a mechanic doing an oil chg showed me that the front left fender was not a FORD one. Now this is a couple of years later, I pull a new carfax and it shows an accident in 8/2003, earlier than the dealer's carfax showed it was n service. Then in 2009, I bought a used 2009 Infinite G37, I took it in for service and they tell me the inservice date was 8/2008, the dealers carfax showed the inservice date was 3/09. Again I puuled my own car fax and it showed it was first bought in 8/08. So pull your own carfax reports, don't trust the ones the dealers gets you.

15. May 20, 2014 at 10:33 AM
    jdvailco

jdvailco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    92 2wd reg cab 4cyl manual >> 05 Prerunner Access Cab 4 cyl manual >> 15 2wd access cab 2.7
  16. May 22, 2014 at 2:04 PM
    joedirt

joedirt Hallow

Member:
    Ploeśti
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
  17. May 30, 2014 at 9:33 AM
    cvisinho

cvisinho [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport DCSB new frame edition
    Bilstein 5100's, Eibach springs, Cali Raised Amber fogs,Cali Raised side projecting ditch lights, 17" gunmetal trd pro reps w/ falken wildpeaks, MESO interior lighting, Alpine ilx Android auto head unit, rear view camera, blue sea fuse panel, mbrp cat back, Morimoto retros in Depos, Ranch cap, triple black clazzios, DIY thin lip satoshi with FJ letters, oem roof rack, AJT climate knobs, slim sub behind rear seat, fosgate speakers all around, thule cap rack
    Update:
    Frame in yesterday and should have it back tomorrow afternoon!

I just stopped by because they called and said all 4 of my brand new wheels that i never took out of the packaging were scratched badly. Which was a total falsification. I mean im anal about stuff like that and would return them if it was bad but these were barely scratches. I brought in a microfiber and wheel polish and one of the "scratches" disappeared with zero effort.
    Im not sure what they were thinking...

Motor was on the new frame, i saw new leaf springs in the back and all they had to do was connect everything and drop the cab and bed back on it seemed.

The service manager said since Toyota made this an official safety issue frames only take about 2 weeks to come in now. There were also 3 other trucks in the back getting new frames. So anyone with concerns should get their trucks in to be checked out.

18. Jun 2, 2014 at 5:30 AM
    cvisinho

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100's, Eibach springs, Cali Raised Amber fogs,Cali Raised side projecting ditch lights, 17" gunmetal trd pro reps w/ falken wildpeaks, MESO interior lighting, Alpine ilx Android auto head unit, rear view camera, blue sea fuse panel, mbrp cat back, Morimoto retros in Depos, Ranch cap, triple black clazzios, DIY thin lip satoshi with FJ letters, oem roof rack, AJT climate knobs, slim sub behind rear seat, fosgate speakers all around, thule cap rack
    Back in action, kind of...
    confirmed 4 leaf springs in the back
    billies set at .85

kicker is that the brakes shudder and yank to the right and my rear view camera doesent work now.

It will be going back in to get these problems fixed soon.

truck.jpg

19. Jul 2, 2014 at 6:40 AM
    COoffRD

COoffRD ShouldaKeptTheOldOne

Member:
    First Name:
    Val
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    '05 Taco, 6sp
    Did you have the 3 leaf pack before? Did the 4 change the rear end height at all?

20. Jan 8, 2015 at 7:21 AM
    cvisinho

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    1yrish update.

I had the 3 leafs prior to the new 4.

Toyota replaced the brake rotors for me to address the shuddering issue. Claimed it was from sitting for so long in the lot and the surfaces were pitted.

Today has been just about 1 year since I brought it in.
    It is getting an inspection just like last time...

Also, I guess i neglected to test out the 4X4 when i got the truck back :facepalm:, it was spring and i never made it on the beach last summer so i didnt really need it ever.
    So i tried it out the other day and it does not engage at all in 4H and 4L.
    Worked perfectly fine before i had all this work done so they think they forgot to connect something.

Hopefully today is as simple as connecting a wire and getting a sticker.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015

Products Discussed in

To Top