1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

X Runner in Canada for 2014 year, why?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Sterdog, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Jun 1, 2014 at 10:30 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog [OP] Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Good then he's one of the smart ones, but this came really off topic.

2. Jun 1, 2014 at 10:57 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I would agree that in general , 2WD trucks in Canada is dumb

3. Jun 1, 2014 at 11:01 AM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    That blanket statement keep you warm at night? :p

4. Jun 2, 2014 at 2:33 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog [OP] Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Yup :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I have several battery operators on my street that own more trucks than they have family members. Each truck has enough chrome on it eye protection should be required and rims large to make you wonder "who needs tires?" One of the faults of Alberta's hot job market is that a lot of the oil labourers spend their money on toys and put nothing away. There's even a company here that offers a Polaris Razor as a bonus at the end of the year instead of cash if you made enough money to cover 3/4 of the cost... That's why Alberta's busts are so huge, because literally overnight the manual labour oil industry workers lose it all.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  5. Jun 2, 2014 at 3:13 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    they
    labourers
    their
    labour

6. Jun 2, 2014 at 3:23 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog [OP] Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Corrected. Blame my iPhone and a lack of f*cks I give about competent grammar in a friendly discussion :p. Shouldn't you be off chopping wood or destroying downtown Vancouver right now?

7. Jun 2, 2014 at 3:24 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:

I don't live in Vancouver

8. Jun 3, 2014 at 9:31 AM
    Kevindust

Kevindust Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Ottawa, Canada, eh
    Vehicle:
    16 DCSB 6M 4x4 TRD Sport Upgrade BBM
    Before I bought my Tacoma, I drove a Mustang GT all year around in Canadian winters and with proper tires it was amazing in the snow. Never got stuck once in 6 winters, never hit any snowbanks. All V8 Mustangs have had a LSD since at least 1986, so no "one wheel drive". The Mustang has better weight distribution than a 2wd truck but less ground clearance so it kind of evens out as an over all winter vehicle.

Is a 4x4 truck better in Canadian winter than a 2wd? Yes, it is. However, a 2wd is really all most people would ever need. I kept the Mustang and now I have the best of both worlds but if I could only have one vehicle all year around, I would strongly consider an X-Runner.

9. Jun 3, 2014 at 4:44 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    ^If that 2WD is FWD, maybe. I drove a Mazda Millenia for 7 years before trading it in for my Taco. My truck is more difficult to drive on slushy or icy pavement in 2WD even with snow tires. Click it into 4Hi and the balance instantly improves (though there is some torque steer). I was impressed enough to get a Subaru as the second car - most balanced handling of any car I've driven, very forgiving of mistakes.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  10. Aug 5, 2014 at 1:46 PM
    sqd8r

sqd8r New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 black X-Runner
    Pretty much why I bought it.

To OP I live in Ottawa, you know how bad our winters are. We are the second coldest capital in the world iirc, Moscow being #1.

But while our winters are long our spring, summer and fall rock. I drove sportscars for the last 24 years year round, 14 years in Ottawa. All low to the ground, rear wheel drive sportscars.

I wanted space, performance and something cool/exclusive. The X-Runner has all of this in spades.

You don't use 4WD all the time anyway so 2WD was my preferred choice and I have winter rims and tires on order.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  11. Aug 5, 2014 at 2:01 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog [OP] Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Have fun. I grew up in Ottawa and they plow the roads there. Out here where I live they don't even plow the highways until it stops snowing when the worst storms hit. Back roads and side streets often have 1-2 foot drifts 4-5 days a year. A "car" will do just fine on ice, as will any 2WD truck with proper tires. I conceded that the X-Runner makes sense if you want to look sporty yet drive a trucklette. If you are also willing to sacrifice all the things that to me make a truck a truck that's your business and I'm glad you enjoy your decision. Things like 4WD, drive clearance, durability in terrible road conditions and the ability to tow/haul a shit ton of weight are more important to me than plastic fenders and "racetruck", but then again I might just be crazy :D. GLHF.

12. Aug 18, 2014 at 7:13 AM
    Mapcinq

Mapcinq Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Ontario, Canada

Products Discussed in

To Top