1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Decided to try CVJ half shafts.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by JJ04TACO, May 27, 2014.

1. Jun 4, 2014 at 7:41 AM
    BVCOTaco

BVCOTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    BV, CO
    Vehicle:
    02 Xtra Cab SR5 TRD
    ARB Bullbar
    Actually I tried to remove the end links first, but they were just spinning and would not come apart, so i just went to the shock/spring assembly and removed it. It is only 4 bolts. The end link have probably been on there for 150k miles and 12 years, the spring shocks have only been on there for about 7k miles and 2 years!

I should just remove the sway bar all together, I only use the truck around town and for offroading. Is there a trick to removing the end links? I tried to remove the nuts and they just spun around inside the end links and it would not come off.

2. Jun 4, 2014 at 8:00 AM
    BVCOTaco

Member:
    BV, CO
    Vehicle:
    02 Xtra Cab SR5 TRD
    ARB Bullbar
    Here is what the dust cover ended up looking like after removing it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I just called around and NAPA can even order them except from a dealer, so it looks like I will have to try and hammer it back into shape. Or go find one at a junk yard

3. Jun 4, 2014 at 9:10 AM
    penguins_cc

penguins_cc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bellevue, WA
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica Limo!
    Perkins Performance Sliders, Warn 9000, Brute Force Fab front & rear bumper, OME/Dakar lift, full ATO skids and hi-lift mount, satoshi, Wet Okoles, illuminated 4x4 switch, Diff Breather.
    You have to use a hex on the other side to prevent spinning.

4. Jun 4, 2014 at 9:13 AM
    penguins_cc

penguins_cc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bellevue, WA
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica Limo!
    Perkins Performance Sliders, Warn 9000, Brute Force Fab front & rear bumper, OME/Dakar lift, full ATO skids and hi-lift mount, satoshi, Wet Okoles, illuminated 4x4 switch, Diff Breather.
    Holy shit! So a couple thoughts about the dust cover. Use a thin flat head and keep going around the circle, hitting each spot a few times. It won't look like it's coming off until you've gone around a few times but just be persistent, it will eventually start coming off. It's a bitch. I'm assuming it's not that expensive of a part.

5. Jun 4, 2014 at 9:45 AM
    BVCOTaco

Member:
    BV, CO
    Vehicle:
    02 Xtra Cab SR5 TRD
    ARB Bullbar
    I will try that technique next! The problem with this part is that you can't find them at auto parts stores. Napa told me either call the dealer or go to a junk yard! Hopefully i can pound this one back into shape good enough to make it work.

6. Jun 4, 2014 at 9:49 AM
    Trapperr

Trapperr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 3.4l V6

When I took off my end link I removed the nut before I jacked up the LCA. When I tried putting it back on I had to take the jack away. I guess all that pressure from the front end keeps it from spinning. Only done it once though so I could be mistaken.

7. Jun 4, 2014 at 9:50 AM
    Trapperr

Trapperr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 3.4l V6

Learned something new. Thanks!

8. Jun 4, 2014 at 11:27 AM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    Sorry, you are correct, you dont need to remove the coilover. I think mine was already off when I did it... But I take the four Lower Ball Joint bolts out so I can swing the hub assembly out of the way.
    Thats not too bad. Ball point hammer on a block of wood. Do it slowly, no BFH's or heavy hits. Just work it back into shape :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  9. Jun 5, 2014 at 6:03 AM
    BVCOTaco

Member:
    BV, CO
    Vehicle:
    02 Xtra Cab SR5 TRD
    ARB Bullbar
    OK, so I got that dented dust cover pounded back into shape.

I then changed the drivers side CV axle yesterday afternoon. I was able to do that side in about 45 minutes after it taking me about 2 hours to do the one on the other side. I did not remove the shock strut assembly this time, I just removed the sway bar end links to get the CV axle out based on the info from you guys here. Since I did that, I then decided to just remove the entire sway bar all together. There is an allen screw in the middle of the nut for the end links to the sway bar. With an allen wrencha and gear wrench, they came off pretty easily. There was so much dirt and grease in them from the old leaky CV axles, that I did not see that when I did the other side.

This is actually a pretty easy project and once you do one side, it will probably end up taking half the time if you ever change one again in the future.

10. Jun 12, 2014 at 6:29 PM
    JJ04TACO

JJ04TACO [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    04 White DC/TRD
    Fox 2.5 RR front, 2.0 RR rear from AccuTune Offroad, OME Dakar Leafs, Camburg Uniball UCA's, CBI Offroad Bolt on Sliders w/kickout, Scangauge II Uniden Bearcat 880 w/ 3' Firestick on CBI antenna mount B&M Trans Cooler
    Alright so here is the update.

After compiling info here to help me out and then proceeding with the install (alone), I found that I have nothing much to add that is different. It was waaaaaay too messy to try to video alone yet alone take pics. Sorry for the let down. There was grease everywhere due to the blown boots...

I will concur however that getting the dust covers takes a bit of patience. I did ruin a few small screw drivers after trying unsuccessfully to remove it with a cold chisel. You really do need something small and skinny to wedge in between the hub and cover. I progressed up a few sizes as it came out bit by bit. After that it was just as advertised.

Passenger side slid right out with the help from a small pry bar. Drivers was a bit more stubborn. I lost more than a little fluid and I was unprepared for the large puddle that began to form, so i cleaned it up after. I didn't realize that you had to remove the links completely, so i hit a snag there on the first side.

Truck now rides soooooo smoooth. No pops creaks or groans. More importantly....NO LEAKS!

I do have pics of the old and new axles that I will put up soon.

Also VERY PLEASED with CVJ's axles so far!

11. Jun 12, 2014 at 6:49 PM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    If you do have to deform the cup again to get it off,,try at best to do it in one spot. That way it's much easier to make round again. Sometimes you have to collapse it a bit to get them off.

I thinned down chisels on the grinder, went slow, and each side still caved in a little bit. They got a swipe of never seize as well on the interference lip before being drove back in.

12. Jun 13, 2014 at 6:34 AM
    BVCOTaco

Member:
    BV, CO
    Vehicle:
    02 Xtra Cab SR5 TRD
    ARB Bullbar
    I actually took a larger screw driver that I had and hit it with a flapper disc on my grinder and gave it a good edge. Then worked around and around until the dust cap came off.

13. May 19, 2015 at 10:31 AM
    4WDTrout

4WDTrout Perpetually dreaming of tall trees & rivers

Member:
    First Name:
    Theo
    Vehicle:
    08 4WD SR5 DCSB
    Total Tacoma nOOb.
    Any updated news on those CVJ Axles installed?

14. May 19, 2015 at 10:39 PM
    JJ04TACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    04 White DC/TRD
    Fox 2.5 RR front, 2.0 RR rear from AccuTune Offroad, OME Dakar Leafs, Camburg Uniball UCA's, CBI Offroad Bolt on Sliders w/kickout, Scangauge II Uniden Bearcat 880 w/ 3' Firestick on CBI antenna mount B&M Trans Cooler
    Perfect, not one problem from them at all...

15. May 28, 2015 at 12:58 PM
    4WDTrout

Member:
    First Name:
    Theo
    Vehicle:
    08 4WD SR5 DCSB
    Total Tacoma nOOb.
    I just pulled the trigger on 2 CVJ Axles( red silicone inner boots & OEM outer boots ). I'm a bit nervous about making a purchase like that when it's for Remaned parts but....We'll see what happens.

16. May 31, 2015 at 12:31 PM
    JJ04TACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    04 White DC/TRD
    Don't worry, their customer service and shipping are good and very quick. Quality won't be an issue. Too many people here order from them. You would have seen complaints if they were bad. People here are very good at picking quality parts too. They care for their trucks too much not too.

17. May 31, 2015 at 12:43 PM
    Asianguywithatruk

Asianguywithatruk Well-Known Member

Member:
    CenCal
    Vehicle:
    05 taco DCSB
    King RR coilovers Ironman leaf springs 17" scs sr8 jet black 285 75 17 Yokohama geolandar Demello front bumper Brute force rear bumper
    My High angle boot on my 2nd gen tore after 20k, about a year. What's the warranty on these?

image.jpg

Note that in this pictures my tire was taken off and the truck was on jack stands. That's not the angle of the drive shaft at resting height.

18. May 31, 2015 at 4:36 PM
    4WDTrout

Member:
    First Name:
    Theo
    Vehicle:
    08 4WD SR5 DCSB
    Total Tacoma nOOb.
    I'm sorry to hear that happened. This isn't reassuring news as I just ordered 2 axles from CVJ with the red inner boots.
    If I were you, I'd call CVJ and ask them if they will repair it for you.
    How much lift do you have up front & how often do you wheel/take the truck off-road?

19. May 31, 2015 at 4:40 PM
    Sje1124

Sje1124 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2010 DBL Cab TRD OR 4x4
    Just a few
    My passengers side lower boot just tore after about 11 months.

20. May 31, 2015 at 4:59 PM
    JJ04TACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    04 White DC/TRD
    I had a conversation about that with them when I purchased mine. I lifted the full 3", he said at that height, no boot will last forever. I opted to lower mine to 2-2.5" to help reduce the angle on the shafts. I have had no issues, still plenty of lift for me as well...

Products Discussed in

To Top