1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need Help ASAP Removing Destroyed Bearing

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by SManZ, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Jun 7, 2014 at 12:56 PM
    SManZ

SManZ [OP] Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    I'M replacing the front diff needle bearing with one from East Coast Gear Supply. The bearing removal tool from them broke. I've used four others and all the needles and inner race came out. I have the outer race left in the diff and cannot get it out. Hacksaw is not scratching it.

Any ideas help suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. Jun 7, 2014 at 3:19 PM
    o0oSHADOWo0o

o0oSHADOWo0o Just lurking in the darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shadow
    Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab Short Bed 4x4 TRD Sport
    Just a few LEDs...
    The races on needle bearings/roller bearings are hardened steel. You're not going to be able to cut them with any kind of saw.

I was a an electric motor mechanic for more than 10 years but I'm not familiar with the way the bearing are pressed into the differential housing.

Can you post a photo of this???

Do you have all of the lube drained out?

Could you heat up the housing around the bearing race with a propane torch without destroying anything?

3. Jun 8, 2014 at 3:55 AM
    SManZ

SManZ [OP] Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    Ugh finally got it. Had to cut it out with a Dremel. I scored the diff housing a bit in the process.

20140607_182116.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top