1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sears Air Compressor

Discussion in 'Deals & Coupons' started by TacomaTRD4x402, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Jun 8, 2014 at 6:11 PM
    TacomaTRD4x402

TacomaTRD4x402 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    '02 Tacoma TRD 4WD 3.4 5spd S/C Long Travel
  2. Jun 18, 2014 at 4:27 AM
    novanut21

novanut21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat-back, TRD S/C, TRD Quickshifter, URD Fuel Pump Kit, Wet Okoles Front&Rear, WeatherTech Mats, Sockmonkey Decals, Satoshi grille, JBA "shorty" headers, URD Y-Pipe, TTC Oil Catch Can, Lotek Dual Apillar gauge pod w/ Autometer Phantom II AFR & Vac/Boost, URD Pulley, HID Retrofit.
    After reading the reviews for that I would steer clear if it was me but I've never been a fan of anything craftsman except their handtools but I'm on the outs with them as well being they are made in china now. I would suggest ingersoll & rand if money is no concern or campbell hausfeld is a cheaper yet good air compressor. I have the 30gal one but I soon realized it does not put out enough CFM for what I want to do. And Im now looking to upgrade to the 60gal.

campbell hausfeld 30gal 120v
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/campbell-hausfeldreg%3B-2-hp-30-gallon-%28belt-drive%29-cast-iron-air-compressor

campbell hausfeld 60gal 230v
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/campbell-hausfeldreg;-60-gallon-cast-iron-air-compressor

3. Jun 18, 2014 at 7:07 AM
    pepper07

pepper07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Tn.
    Vehicle:
    10' access cab
    I understand SEARS is in financial trouble. I would be a little leary about buying from a company that may not be around much longer.

4. Jun 19, 2014 at 7:00 AM
    TacomaTRD4x402

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    So you would definitely stand by a Campbell hausfeld over any craftsman air compressor? I'm currently in the market of looking for a good replacement compressor and have been hearing lots of negativity about craftsman. I too am a fan of their handtools but I want a really good working compressor. Right now I just have a craftsman 3gallon oiless pancake so really ANYTHING I get will be better. I'm just looking for the right size and high cfms. I don't want or need anything HUGE like 80gallon or even 60. I think 30 would suit me just right. But going back, you definitely recommend Campbell? I know Ingersoll is the best but that's way outta my budget. Unless I can get a 30gal ingersoll for less than $600

5. Jun 19, 2014 at 9:49 AM
    vssman

vssman Rocket Engineer

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Naugatuck, CT
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 double cab
    You have to decide what type of tools you'll be running. If you plan to run a DA or HVLP, then you'll need a good size compressor that has plently of CFMs to keep up. If your looking to run an impact, then you can get by with less CFM but a decent size tank so you have enough reserve to run the gun. Keep in mind an impact is typically short cycles as compared to an HVLP spray gun. Have access to 220? If so, I'd consider that. One last thing to consider is looking at craigslist for a good name brand compressor. Out of the two links posted above, I'd only consider the 60gal unit. The 30gal unit only has 5.5CFM @ 90psi.

6. Jun 19, 2014 at 10:02 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Since Ingersoll is such a great compressor, perhaps looking around for a used one on Craigs list would be an option. I have bought used IRs before and had them last til I moved. What you need to figure out is what your air demand will be, then buy a compressor based on that need.

7. Jun 19, 2014 at 10:07 AM
    thebeeler

thebeeler part of the problem

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Yuma
    Vehicle:
    Your sister
    Total Chaos, Plate bumpers, e-locker, etc
    The two Campbell Hausfeld air compressors listed above each have the same pump on them, they are just run by different motors and stuck on different size tanks. The 220v unit will turn a little faster, thus yielding more air volume, but also shortening the life of the pump. Those units typically last 2-5 years when seeing heavy use. Neither of them are large enough to properly run a spray gun or a DA, but they will be perfectly fine for general garage shop use. I would recommend steering as far away as possible from anything made by Ingersoll Ran, they are total crap. If money is no issue, buy a Saylor-Beall, 100% USA made.

8. Jun 19, 2014 at 10:24 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Both motors turn the same speed 220 does not make it any faster. The 220 unit has all most twice the CFM so all though the compressors look the same the 220V one has a bigger displacement compressor.

9. Jun 19, 2014 at 10:49 AM
    thebeeler

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Yuma
    Vehicle:
    Your sister
    I have both of those units on my show room floor right now, they are the entry level piles of crap that I sell. Same size VT series pump on both units.

10. Jun 20, 2014 at 5:02 AM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    I won't dispute the entry level. They are aluminum single stage pumps but with out having more displacement it can't have more CFM unless they are counting the tank size and that of course would require the 220 volt one to run longer to keep up. At least they have induction motors instead of the little high speed brush motors that run fast and have high noise level.

11. Jun 20, 2014 at 5:14 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    In my experince with air compressors , cast iron is the way to go over anything made with alluminum . Constant head gasket and lubrication problems with the alluminum compressors from the big box stores .

Here is a company that sells compressors that I will recomend . The website allows you to pick and choose according to your needs . I suggest studying what you need before you purchase .
    http://www.eaglecompressor.com/index.php

12. Jun 20, 2014 at 5:27 AM
    charlie g

charlie g Guest

I have a 60 gal 2 stage craftsman for years never any issue,built for sears by Devilbiss has their abp -446 compressor port a cable also builds for sears .

13. Jun 20, 2014 at 5:28 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    The 220V motor does not turn any faster than the 110. It has to do with the HP rating. Both motors turn at the same speed. Don't see how you figure that. I won't dispute that they are both entry level compressors of course, but I do disagree with your statement that the 220 turns at a faster RPM. Since you have two in your showroom, then go look at the stickers on the motors. Both will say the same RPM.

I TOTALLY disagree with you on your statement of Ingersoll Rand quality. I have used their compressors for over 20 years in every shop I have ever been in, and they have never given us any trouble. Those thinks keep going and going.

14. Jun 20, 2014 at 8:48 AM
    thebeeler

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Yuma
    Vehicle:
    Your sister
    Those CH pumps have an aluminum crankcase, cast iron "block", aluminum valve plate and head. The 220V unit runs a longer duty cycle and has a different size pulley compared to the 110v unit giving it "more" CFM. Irgersoll Rand used to be a great company 20+ years ago, but everything they make now is Chinese or less and they constantly break down and blow head gaskets. I refuse to sell them.

Back to the OP's topic, basically any air compressor under $1k is created pretty damn close to equal, find one that has cast jugs instead of aluminum and get an oiled air compressor vs an oil less so you can still hear your self think while it's running. A 220v unit will be cheaper to run if you have that option in your garage. And remember that extended warranties that are purchased thru the place of purchase, ie Lowes, Home Depot, TSC, are actually not warranties and in the event of breakage you will receive no warranty repairs from the purchase of it.

15. Jun 20, 2014 at 1:21 PM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    I just helped buy an IR compressor and the entire pump is cast iron. No aluminum. Fine that you refuse to sell them, and you have every right to sell what you want, and have your opinion. I have a right to my opinion as well and I love the IR compressors, and use them all the time with no complaints.

I would like to see some documented proof that they are Chinese built, as every one says built in the USA. For example this is the breakdown of the compressor I helped a nearby shop get for their paint booth:
    As for what you said about the two CH pumps listed, both are showing in their spec sheet as "Solid cast iron oil lubricated twin cylinder pump" so I don't see how they could advertize them as such, if they had aluminum heads. Maybe I am wrong, but spec sheet agrees with my side. Of course the two CH compressors ARE single stage, so they have a lower pressure rating at 13PSI. I would always say get a two-stage compressor if you plan to do any REAL work.

16. Jun 20, 2014 at 9:12 PM
    TacomaTRD4x402

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Alright so after reading everyones replys, i'm a bit more confused than I was before as far as which 'brand' to get. :confused: LOL
    I'm coming to an understanding that everyone has their own opinion about certain brands.
    Seems though that everyone is on the same side as far as cast iron vs. aluminum. Seeing as how though, i'm no professional mechanic and I will not be needing a whole lot of air, I don't really need to spend a lot of money on something great. Just need something to get me by, impact gun and air ratchet with the occasional die grinder and just plain ole air gun.
    So I did find this ad on craigslist, what do you guys think as far as pricing? The ad doesn't indicate the tank size, but i was able to save one of the images and zoom and it appears to be a 20 gallon...

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/tls/4479850941.html

17. Jun 20, 2014 at 9:18 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I took a shot, and got this one on sale, and its been great. No leaks, builds pressure fast, and was CHEAP! Hell......Its held over 100 psi for over a week since I last ran it.

18. Jun 21, 2014 at 5:46 AM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    A neighbor gave me a 30 gallon compressor with a high speed brush motor, it did not run it was less than a year old. I replaced the pressure switch it run about a year with occasional use until the motor burnt up. It’s now a storage tank with wheels. When it did run it was extremely noisy and slow to deliver air. Most hobby people can get by with a cheap compressor if they can stand the noise but don’t expect it to run anything that demands a lot of air for any length of time. For shop use you really need to figure on something in the $1000 and probably leaning more towards the $2000 range. My choice would be a Quincy. I had an old Quincy that I sold I had bought it used 30 years ago and when I moved I sold it. It had done use in 3 repair shops and one body shop and only the motor had been replaced. The guy that bought it asked how old it was I did not know so he ran the numbers and it was built in 1947 it’s still in use in his shop. There are a few US built compressors out there but I don’t think any of them have been around as long as Quincy.

19. Jun 21, 2014 at 10:27 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    That one would be acceptable for what you are looking for. The model on that is P1.5IU. It is a 20 gallon tank. However some research shows you can buy it brand new, with a warranty for only $522 at Sears. Might be worth looking into.

20. Jun 22, 2014 at 4:19 AM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    There is a Husky version of that with a 30 gallon tank at Home Depot for $439 same compressor unit. I actually have one in my wood shop very quiet nice little compressor. I didn't see it listed on their site but that's where I bought it. I agree that's all you need for what you want to do.

Products Discussed in

To Top