1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2010 Tacoma, how dificult to remove headlamp?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Pool Runner, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Jun 7, 2014 at 7:55 PM
    Pool Runner

Pool Runner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    '14,TRD/OR, Entune & Nav '13 Subaru Outback
    Lowes Slimline Tool box, OEM Bug shield.
    So one of my amber marker lamps quit ( passenger side ) while I was replacing the slide bulb, it must not have been firmly seated as it popped off while re-installing it and fell into the lamp housing. I can't think of any other way to get it out, other than complete removal of the headlamp housing and shaking out of the hole.

Looking at the headlamp mounting points, it doesn't look like a quick 5 min job? But then I've never removed the headlamp housing on a 2nd gen. Any help greatly appreciative.

2. Jun 7, 2014 at 8:04 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Jun 7, 2014 at 9:11 PM
    Pool Runner

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
  4. Jun 7, 2014 at 10:01 PM
    jboudreaux1965

jboudreaux1965 Ragin Cajun Fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Hub City
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Sport
    open the assembly, its easy, you heat in the oven for about 20mins and glue gets soft, take the clear lens off remove your trash, then place it back in place and heat in the oven again, there is many many many howto's online. i did it on my old lexus to open up the assembly and remove the amber lense and i did it on my tacoma when one those cup things in front of the bulbs came loose, i ended up just removing both of them, i think it helped with more light but it may just be me looking to hard to see a difference, lol

5. Jun 9, 2014 at 7:36 AM
    Pool Runner

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    Ok, so I bought that flexible spring tool (I got impatient waiting for the Ebay one to show up) so got same thing from Lowes. Spent almost an hour trying to grab the stupid bulb and couldn't. Also scratched the $%#^ out of the inside of the lense trying.

Then proceeded to spend another hour trying to remove the headlamp, only to get hung up on that stupid 10m bolt hidden by the fender. Do you really have to remove the fender, just to get a light out?

6. Jun 9, 2014 at 7:44 AM
    TruKnight

TruKnight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tru
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Autobot Mall Crawler
    read build thread
    I replaced my headlights recently, it wasant too difficult. I did not remove the fender, but I did have to remove the grill and gently bend back part of the bumper. for that last bolt you kind of have to feel your way around cause you cant see it directly. its easy to confuse it with another nearby bolt.

be very careful when doing this (both removing and replacing), or those mounting tabs will break very easily.

7. Jun 9, 2014 at 7:53 AM
    User Name01

User Name01 Little boy from FairyTale Land

Member:
    First Name:
    Bolbi Stroganovsky
    Wherever the next wind project is
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Barcelona Red Metallic Dbl Cab 4x4
    You don't have to remove the fender. Just pull and bend the black plastic from inside the wheel well. It bends pretty easily.

8. Jun 9, 2014 at 8:47 AM
    Pool Runner

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    Ok thanks

9. Jun 9, 2014 at 5:27 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Sorry dude . That flexible grabber worked like a charm for me . No scratches or anything when I removed the bulb from my headlight lens . I do have a bunch of different size grabbers mind you . When I linked to the one at Ebay , i didnt look at the actual size .
    I also have flexible magnets that will pop that bulb outta there in a matter of seconds but you have to grab the bulb by the electrical end and the magnet has to be very strong . I have several flexible magnets as well .

10. Jun 9, 2014 at 7:38 PM
    Pool Runner

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    No worries, and it's a work truck so no loss scratching the lens. I actually used the magnetic wand thingy that came with the flexible claw, and it worked like a champ. Just wish I tried the magnet first (stupid me I guess) thanks anyway.

Products Discussed in

To Top