1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Painting stock chrome grill. Suggestions?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BigShow08, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Jun 10, 2014 at 4:49 PM
    BigShow08

BigShow08 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Pre Runner 4.0
    So I'm kinda tired of my chrome stock grill and have been wanting to color match it to the rest of the truck. Do I need to sand the chrome off or will a good scuff do the job? And can I get color matched paint at a parts store or do I need to go to a dealership?

Thanks guys!

2. Jun 10, 2014 at 4:54 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    scuff, primer, paint and go. Did this to my grill and bumper, holds up just fine.

3. Jun 10, 2014 at 4:57 PM
    josh0351

josh0351 Californication

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    VA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '13 TRD OR | '96 4X4 Reg Cab (RIP)
    Some stuff...
    There's a color-match post on here somewhere. You'll have to search for it yourself though, my "search" super-powers are taxed for the day/week!

Also, I painted my chrome grill with some Rust-Oleum flat black & several coats a few months ago and I noticed this weekend that it's already gouged down to the chrome where the hood rests against the top of the grill. So might be re-doing it here soon, with Plasti-Dip. My previous grill was dipped with NO issues - that stuff seriously holds up!

4. Jun 10, 2014 at 6:59 PM
    karmatp

karmatp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 4x4 4Runner
    old grill:

[​IMG]

New grill:

[​IMG]

Cost me about $180 out the door from my Toyota dealer. I was not a fan of the chrome around the grill either, but this was a simple, cheap fix.

5. Jun 10, 2014 at 7:05 PM
    ThomasMore66

ThomasMore66 We can't stop here, this is bat country!

Member:
    Dallas/Fort Worth & Durango
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged 2013 TRD Offroad 4wd
    TRD Supercharger, TRD exhaust, Leather seats, running boards removed (why it came with them I cannot imagine), Salex organizers, BAMF behind-the-grill light bar, Rigid SR-20 and SR-Q - Spots mounted behind stock grill, color-matched grill, WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit floor mats, Tech Deck, Avid bolt-on slider/step converted to weld on by TW member Achirdo, Diaz Fabrication Model T, Icon Stage 4 with OME Dakar rear leaf springs, OME Driveshaft spacer, Toytec 1" Front Diff Drop, FN BFD 18"x9" GMG Wheels, BFG KO2 285-65-18 tires, Ultragauge mounted above mirror, Tuffy Box lockable storage, MattGecko rear window security bar, Relentless Fab tailgate protector, CSJumper 700 lumen flood pattern back-up LED's, modified BeeRadd under-hood lighting with two KC Cyclones; KB Voodoo cargo management system and standard rails, AllPro hi-lift jack mount, 48" hi-lift, RCI Metalworks aluminum front skid, Flyzeye 3VP-RS in glovebox and console, AFE CAI, Coupe fuse box cover, battery hold-down bracket and CAI air-box cover, Wurton pod led's installed as bed lights on Lowbrow Customs motorcycle fork brake line aluminum brackets, Pop-n-Lock PL5400, Extang Solidfold 2.0, Rechelon Retro's, Moromoto LED fogs, URD Y-pipe, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Speedhut AFR and Boost gauges, Cravenspeed gauge holder, CMC by Tandem Automotive, 70mm throttle body, CSF radiator, Doug Thorley shorties, Vibrant 7101 cats, SOS Offroad front and rear bumpers, Smoothflow 2.5” SC pulley, Steeda SC belt tensioner, roostfactor belt wrap kit, switch Pro 9100 in custom Tandem Automotive holder, WAT trans valvebody, FIC 650cc injectors, HP Tuner.
  6. Jun 10, 2014 at 9:18 PM
    TacoTom88

TacoTom88 Gold Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Northeast Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '17 DC TRD Sport
    I did this last year! It worked flawlessly except... DO NOT sand through the chrome. The chrome is difficult to get off but if you sand through it, it will peel like packing tape. If it does this you will be able to tell where it peeled off after you paint it.

So, rough the chrome up with a fine grit sand paper then prime and paint!

7. Jun 10, 2014 at 9:48 PM
    geekhouse23

geekhouse23 The "Liftman" - @DrFunker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2GMGMDCSB4WDTRDFTMFW!! TL;DR
    mostly stock, grocery gettin' Prius
    I recommend getting some adhesion promotive from automotive touchup. Helps with having to paint plastic/chrome. Here's mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Jun 11, 2014 at 7:30 AM
    AlanLoshbaugh

AlanLoshbaugh Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Columbia, MO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4
    Dupli-color may have a match for your factory color.
    Scuff with a mild 3M scotchbrite pad, primer, and paint.

$180 for a factory replacement is a much nicer price than I would have guessed.

As I wanted mine black, I plasti-dipped.

uzy3uqam.jpg

9. Jun 11, 2014 at 8:39 AM
    ThomasMore66

ThomasMore66 We can't stop here, this is bat country!

Member:
    Dallas/Fort Worth & Durango
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged 2013 TRD Offroad 4wd
    TRD Supercharger, TRD exhaust, Leather seats, running boards removed (why it came with them I cannot imagine), Salex organizers, BAMF behind-the-grill light bar, Rigid SR-20 and SR-Q - Spots mounted behind stock grill, color-matched grill, WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit floor mats, Tech Deck, Avid bolt-on slider/step converted to weld on by TW member Achirdo, Diaz Fabrication Model T, Icon Stage 4 with OME Dakar rear leaf springs, OME Driveshaft spacer, Toytec 1" Front Diff Drop, FN BFD 18"x9" GMG Wheels, BFG KO2 285-65-18 tires, Ultragauge mounted above mirror, Tuffy Box lockable storage, MattGecko rear window security bar, Relentless Fab tailgate protector, CSJumper 700 lumen flood pattern back-up LED's, modified BeeRadd under-hood lighting with two KC Cyclones; KB Voodoo cargo management system and standard rails, AllPro hi-lift jack mount, 48" hi-lift, RCI Metalworks aluminum front skid, Flyzeye 3VP-RS in glovebox and console, AFE CAI, Coupe fuse box cover, battery hold-down bracket and CAI air-box cover, Wurton pod led's installed as bed lights on Lowbrow Customs motorcycle fork brake line aluminum brackets, Pop-n-Lock PL5400, Extang Solidfold 2.0, Rechelon Retro's, Moromoto LED fogs, URD Y-pipe, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Speedhut AFR and Boost gauges, Cravenspeed gauge holder, CMC by Tandem Automotive, 70mm throttle body, CSF radiator, Doug Thorley shorties, Vibrant 7101 cats, SOS Offroad front and rear bumpers, Smoothflow 2.5” SC pulley, Steeda SC belt tensioner, roostfactor belt wrap kit, switch Pro 9100 in custom Tandem Automotive holder, WAT trans valvebody, FIC 650cc injectors, HP Tuner.
    And 10 minute install.

Products Discussed in

To Top