1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealer put in wrong plugs !!! WTF

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Razorecko, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Jun 5, 2014 at 9:54 PM
    SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab, Base, 4x4
    Sub'd for outcome. :popcorn:

2. Jun 6, 2014 at 6:23 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Sorry to hear that OP. :( I would be livid.

As time goes by all I see is Toyota sliding down hill and picking up speed as it goes.

I used to think Toyotas were beasts. Now all I think is Toyota = shit products and even worse service

3. Jun 7, 2014 at 5:04 PM
    Razorecko

Razorecko [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    I am livid but smart decisions are never made under anger. Right now it's just covering myself and what happened in the case the dealer decides to be hard on the whole deal and I have to progress further. It really is sad with toyota because I see them charging large labor rates, the quality of the vehicles have come down, and they are becoming very bland. I mean how long and in how many vehicles can the put the 4.0L into ?? I see gm and ford using turbos and superchargers, making great motors like the ecoboost. Could you imagine if toyota put in a v6 ecoboost equivalent in a tacoma ??? It was sell like hotcakes. What is scary is how they setup the MIL/Cel codes. When your tacoma throws a code its already too late. Another great tech told me the car wont throw a code for running lean unless it hits 18:1 !!!!! . If you hit that number there is already damage, no doubt. So because they set the range so high its almost like them trying to cover themselves for the duration of warranty. Thats why toyota now has like the lowest covering factory toyota. 3yr/36k ??? Even kia's blow that out of the water.

4. Jun 7, 2014 at 5:26 PM
    SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab, Base, 4x4
    Not arguing with you and the quality of toyota, but doesn't Kia's warranty blow everyone out of the water. 10 year/100,000.

5. Jun 7, 2014 at 5:40 PM
    F75gunslinger

F75gunslinger Ka like a wheel

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Rochester,NY
    Vehicle:
    SWB '10 Doublecab TRD Sport 4x4
    Cluster and Radio LED swap,Westin bull bar,2nd set of bed tie downs,URD SS,K&N filter,weathertechs
    sub'd for outcome

6. Jun 7, 2014 at 5:44 PM
    F75gunslinger

F75gunslinger Ka like a wheel

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Rochester,NY
    Vehicle:
    SWB '10 Doublecab TRD Sport 4x4
    Cluster and Radio LED swap,Westin bull bar,2nd set of bed tie downs,URD SS,K&N filter,weathertechs
    The 10 yr/100k warranty is on oil bathed parts only. Drivetrain warranties are all well and good...but generally they don't cover alot of the parts that end up going.

7. Jun 13, 2014 at 7:58 AM
    Razorecko

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Hey guys I need to validate the program info before I go to my original dealer with this info. Here is the printout I recieved. My question is the way it is listed on the printout is the 3Y.... software what i'm currenlty running that needs to be updated or is the current software i'm running the A0 ?

15o9opx_5b2f1ab8521c539e7558750e782c1af4767c8896.jpg

8. Jun 13, 2014 at 8:17 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    If Toyota put the Ford CrappoBoost into the Tacoma, sales would drop. That Ecoboost is a bunch of garbage. I read articles and forums all the time with about as many complaints with the ecoboost as the driveline vibrations in the Tacoma!

Gm, Ford, and others also have 3yr/36m warranties. That is the average warranty time for the majority of manufacturers. Kia does blow all out of the water with their 10/10k, but that is not bumper to bumper coverage. If you look at the true 100% bumper to bumper coverages, most everyone is at 3/36k. Some do extend the POWERTRAIN warranty for longer.

Can't really tell from that printout. However just because it says the 3Y has an update, DOESN'T mean that the 3Y is the wrong software. Updates happen all the time for ECUs. You need to find out what software the 3Y actually is. Then you can determine if they have the wrong software in it.

Just did a quick check. To date there are a possibility of 9 different calibration updates for your truck, depending on what might be occurring. I don't have access to the actual calibration numbers though.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  9. Jun 19, 2014 at 3:21 PM
    JackDaRiffer

JackDaRiffer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 V6 PreRunner SR5 DCSB
    Any update on this?

10. Jun 19, 2014 at 4:55 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    I peg 10:1 open loop......................Id say thats far from lean

11. Jun 19, 2014 at 7:48 PM
    Redneck92

Redneck92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Concord, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma Limited TRD
    Just the norm skids, sliders, & 35's
    I was referring to the 1st gens when I posted that. I get lost between the 1st and 2nd gen sections sometimes. 10:1 is super fawking rich.

12. Jun 22, 2014 at 12:18 AM
    lemon177

lemon177 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 4x4 sport pyrite mica
    TRD supercharger, URD 2.85" stealth pulley, TRD exhaust, TRD intake, DTLT headers, URD y-pipe, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM100 touch with OBDII and SM-AFR modules, 885 OME 3", Icon UCAs, Satoshi grill, Solid rear window, SCS stealth 6, 285/75/17 toyo AT2.
    I think what happened with your reflash is that they skipped the second upload. A lot of dealers were doing this when the trd sc just came out. See how the first calibration says yes, and the second says no. It's nessicery to do both.

Personally, I'd ask them for a whole new motor, supercharger unit/fit kit, and ECU (these ECUs can only be flashed once). And you want them to give you a 2year warranty on it all, under their expense.

13. Jun 26, 2014 at 6:10 PM
    Razorecko

Member:
    Vehicle:
    See thats what i'm trying to find out, is if the 3YWG Update (YES) - means that I have the 3ywg software currently and it needs to be upgraded to something newer or 3ywg is what needs to be updated from the current software noted underneath, the AOC.

Or if the 3YWG means thats what the engine software needs to be updated to and the ECT software of AOC is good as it is.

14. Jun 26, 2014 at 7:57 PM
    Blacktaco2042

Blacktaco2042 Well-Known Member

Member:
    wisconsin
    supercharger/trd cat back 3inch lift 265/75/16 duratracs bumper guard led bar
    the update will detune the engine cause toyota had problems with the s/c trucks smoking the trans. im a tech and can tell you the cal id you have is the good one if you update it will not be the same truck and you wont be happy. cause once you flash it your stuck with it and no going back

15. Jun 26, 2014 at 8:49 PM
    lemon177

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    TRD supercharger, URD 2.85" stealth pulley, TRD exhaust, TRD intake, DTLT headers, URD y-pipe, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM100 touch with OBDII and SM-AFR modules, 885 OME 3", Icon UCAs, Satoshi grill, Solid rear window, SCS stealth 6, 285/75/17 toyo AT2.
    I heard about that with the tundra, but that also goes for the tacoma as well?

16. Jun 27, 2014 at 3:51 AM
    Blacktaco2042

Blacktaco2042 Well-Known Member

Member:
    wisconsin
    supercharger/trd cat back 3inch lift 265/75/16 duratracs bumper guard led bar
    yea it the same for the taco. the tundra made way more power with the old flash like almost 500 and new one is like 400ish area

17. Aug 7, 2014 at 5:50 PM
    Razorecko

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Well here is the final dilemma. Dealer says if we pull the motor and find damage on piston 6 they will cover the cost of repair. If they pull it and find it was a ring, valve, etc than i'm screwed on eating the cost of repair. At our meeting they said they will cover it if its a case of pre-ignition. But now in emails they are throwing around pre-detonation ? now i'm not sure if they're trying to confuse themselves, me, or screw me hard.

18. Aug 8, 2014 at 12:08 AM
    lemon177

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    That's bs...a bad tune could cause damage to anything so for them to say they'll only cover one of the potential parts isn't fair. A bad tune is a bad tune, that'll cause damage...so any damage found should be their cost

19. Aug 8, 2014 at 1:00 AM
    kyleTRDtaco12

kyleTRDtaco12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma Base DCSB 4x4 V6 6MT (202)
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) Silver Toyota 16" SR5 Wheels with 265/70/16 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires w/ Locks OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM TRDpro Grille Insert RokBlokz Rally MudFlaps w/ Stamped Logo OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads w/ Brembo Blank Rotors OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate eBay TRD seat covers Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Light Kit OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Bed Mat OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges (from Xrunner 205 Black Sand Pearl) Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TruXedo TruXsport Roll-Up Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers
    OMG!!!!! Thats absolutely awful, aside from not installing the correct plugs, I cannot believe it ran lean like that for 5 years with forced induction. an old school mate of mine installed a TRD supercharger on his scion TC, never got the correct factory tune for it and it barely lasted a month, I guess yours lasting 5 years is a true testament to how tough and durable the 1gr is, but its still a god-awful shame that it had to happen this way :( im sorry man, I hate to hear when stuff like this happens. The ECU and vvti must have been operating at full timing retard in order to stay alive that long... just incredible, and you didn't even develop a CEL, I almost cant believe a lean code didnt come up... IMO, I think you have a more than justifiable case to get a brand new engine and supercharger. Detonating lean for 5 years with forced induction, that, to me anyway is truely amazing, I almost cant wrap my head around that. SORRY FOR MY RAMBLING LOL, but still.. mind blown :eek:

20. Aug 8, 2014 at 1:33 AM
    nine3

nine3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB TRD OR Supercharged MT
    Hopefully they make it right. What is the stock ECU software? Might want to figure that out and make sure that it was or wasn't ever upgraded for the s/c. I''m having a s/c installed on my truck right now and I asked for a printout from the update process.

Products Discussed in

To Top