1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheel Balancing Issues...

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by theTupper, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Jun 13, 2014 at 7:02 PM
    theTupper

theTupper [OP] White and Nerdy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Raeford, NC
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCSB Off Road PreRunner
    I'll preface this by saying that I am NOT a wheel/tire balancing guru and I'm sure these people do their job much better than I can. That said, here's the deal.

Replaced my stock TRD Off Road rims with a set of black TRD "Beadlocks." Took everything to the local tire shop and had them do the swap. Well, the balancer was down (something broken) so they balanced them temporarily using an "old" balancing machine - whatever that is; they referred to it as "the dinosaur." Needless to say, the balance was NOT perfect. They told me to come back in a few days after the computerized machine was up and running.

I go in today and after 45 minutes, the guy comes out and tells me I'll need to take them somewhere else and have "beanbags" put in the tires and that they can't possibly balance my wheels/tires. I was more than baffled...they were balanced just fine on my previous set of rims and they aren't exactly WEIRD tires (Pirellis) or even a weird size (265/75/16). I know the rims balance with no issue because the friend I got them from had 1 or two weights per wheel; no more.

I asked to go back and see what was going on. The smallest amount of weight on a wheel was a little over 2 ounces. The worst wheel I've included a picture of here. You can also see the multiple tape marks from previous attempts at balancing they made.

After 1 and a half hours I finally took the truck out for a drive and they SEEM to be balanced. My question is this...

Do these guys know what they're doing? As mentioned, I know the wheels are fine and the tires took NOWHERE near that amount of weight to balance on my previous rims. Do I need to go somewhere else?

I'm exceedingly nervous about driving around with that many weights on my wheels...doesn't seem legit.

Don't know.

Tell me I'm being crazy or tell me to take it somewhere else. I've heard about "Road-Force Balancing" but I'm not sure of anywhere out here in BFE that'll do it.

Thanks in advance.

20140613_143944.jpg

Oh, and I know the inside of the wheel is dirty as f***...lol.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  2. Jun 13, 2014 at 8:22 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Haweka adapter for the tire machine ... do a search
    Are the rims lug centric or hub centric ?
    Road force balancing is a must

3. Jun 13, 2014 at 10:33 PM
    theTupper

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Raeford, NC
    Vehicle:
    Good question. The TRD Beadlocks take conical lugs so I'm assuming they are lug-centric? Not sure though. The road-force thing is gonna be tricky...not sure where I can get that done. The adapter looks like something the tire-shop should know about...so basically it boils down to the fact that they didn't do their thing right, eh?

Thanks for the input.

4. Jun 13, 2014 at 11:39 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    One way or another, they screwed up.
    They either screwed up the balancing, or the mounting.

As with tires, rims also have a heavy side. On a new tire, there is usually a small white or yellow dot of paint. This notes the relative balance of the tire, and it should be aligned with the valve stem.
    Problem on a used tire is the dot is most likely gone.

When that much weight is needed, the tire should be popped and rotated, then checked again for balance.

5. Jun 14, 2014 at 12:20 AM
    Styx586

Styx586 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terrance
    Lake Elsinore, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport, 2001 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Those guys don't know what they are doing. The wheel in the picture is whats called "counterbalanced" weights on both sides. If you think about it, weights should never be opposite of each other, if u need to add an ounce on one side, and the opposite side of the wheel already has two ounces on it, removing one ounce from the side with two ounces already on it will have the same effect. Whoever was balancing you're wheels just kept adding weight wherever the machine told them. Clearly didn't know what they were doing.

6. Jun 14, 2014 at 1:23 AM
    SteelHorse

SteelHorse Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Van., BC, Canada, Planet Earth,
    Vehicle:
    12-V6-DCLB-SR5 Money pit
    Ongoing
    Well. before you do anything, try this...

Take your rig out on the highway, somewhere that you know
    is somewhat flat and straight, not too many potholes, and
    take your speed up to the limit, then go 10mph past that.

Do a couple of lane changes.

Does the steering wheel shake a little?

If not, your wheels are balanced.

If the steering wheel shakes, then the wheels are not balanced.

Up here in Canada, I think we call it something else, but I'll explain.

You may need to go somewhere else, maybe a tire speciality shop.

I had to have my wheels re-balanced after some damage that stripped off the weights.

Most shops do something called "Static" balancing, good for city speeds, and off roading, while some speciality shops do "Dynamic" Balancing, which give your wheels the ability to travel at higher speeds/rpms
    ( over 70mph) without shake.

If you do a lot of Highway driving, then this is for you. If not, and
    you rock crawl, or go mudding, I'd say leave it as it is, and go somewhere
    else if your gut tells you that you don't like the place.

7. Jun 14, 2014 at 10:52 AM
    theTupper

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Raeford, NC
    Vehicle:
    Thanks everyone for the advice; looks like I'll be finding a place that knows what they're doing and taking it there.

Thanks again!

Products Discussed in

To Top