1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aftermarket Backup / rearview camera, pros/cons

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by MadeInMaine, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Jun 16, 2014 at 11:20 AM
    MadeInMaine

MadeInMaine [OP] MadeInMaine

Member:
    First Name:
    Owen
    Biloxi, MS
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner
    Hey everyone,

I don't think I saw a thread for this, but I am looking for people to pipe in about their aftermarket backup camera you have purchased. I would like to know the model, pros/cons, and if you would recommend it or a different one.

Cheers

2. Jun 16, 2014 at 11:41 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  3. Jun 17, 2014 at 7:04 AM
    MadeInMaine

MadeInMaine [OP] MadeInMaine

Member:
    First Name:
    Owen
    Biloxi, MS
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner
    you are happy with video quality?

4. Jun 17, 2014 at 7:30 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    Meh the video quality is ok but it is just to see what is behind me when backing up.

5. Jun 19, 2014 at 2:19 PM
    Goober

Goober Earthlings are fun to watch!

Member:
    Utah - Why just have only one?
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off-Planet AccessCab
    I installed a license frame camera. Makes hooking up the trailer a breeze as I can see the hitch ball on the display. I wired it to the park lights instead of the backup lights, this way I can turn it on anytime and I ran the dvd player parkbrake wire to ground. I use it as a review mirror with my camper on the truck. The Kenwood DVD has 3 levels of zoom so I use the max zoom when using it while driving. Cars show up in my side mirrors before the leave the rearview display. I've had it for a year driving on salted roads in the winter. One drawback to having it connected the tail light circuit is it causes corrosion on the license plate frame and camera housing itself. Must be some current leakage or just being grounded through housing. Just got back from a 300 mile trip and it was turned on the whole trip. Certainly not hi-def but I'm happy with it.
    Pyle PLCM18SC Camera

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Aug 13, 2014 at 2:12 PM
    BeaverYota

BeaverYota Oregon State Edition

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    Sold...
    Do you have a write up for how you did this? The write up I've seen for the back up camera anytime doesn't really address after market cameras, and I'd like to wire mine to be able to come one anytime.

7. Aug 14, 2014 at 7:18 AM
    Goober

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I took the tail light assembly out and tied into the tail light wires +/-. My Lear dealer had already done this with the brake light for the 3rd break light on the camper so I just duped what they did only tying into the tail light circuit. I'll post a pic of the connectors I bought to do this when I get home this evening. I then routed the video cable along the frame to the cab and found a rubber plug under the carpet behind the driver's seat and made a hole in it to run the cable through, then chalked the hole to seal it. The cable barely reached the Kenwood head unit and plugged into the vid1 port. I had to ground the DVD lockout wire (Kenwood instructions say to connect to the parking brake switch so the video can only come on when the brake is set) but you can ground it about anywhere, by passing this safety feature. So now when I want to turn on the backup camera I just turn on the tail lights and switch the stereo to vid1 channel. Draw back is no music while stereo is in video mode and no backup view when playing music or radio, but also it powers the camera any time the head lights are on so it causes corrosion as mentioned above.

8. Aug 14, 2014 at 10:21 AM
    BeaverYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    Sold...
    So to avoid the corrosion I probably shouldn't tap into the lights? I won't have a head unit that I'm plugging into but instead just a separate screen, but corrosion is always something I like to avoid.

9. Aug 14, 2014 at 7:48 PM
    Goober

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The camera instructions say to hook the power to the backup lights so the camera is only on if in reverse. If you want to turn it on any time you will need to run a power circuit from somewhere. Tail light was the most convenient.

10. Aug 14, 2014 at 7:50 PM
    icallhertaco11

icallhertaco11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner v6
    Engage Long Travel 6 over with race spindles. 2.5x8 sway a ways wrapped in King Coils.
  11. Aug 14, 2014 at 8:05 PM
    BeaverYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    Sold...
    Do you think it was your camera in particular that corroded?

12. Aug 15, 2014 at 7:57 AM
    Goober

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I think so.......the license plate frame shows some corrosion too which didn't have any for the first 2-1/2 years until I added the camera. Camera has only been on the truck for a year. This Camera is cheap enough that is if only last a couple years I'll just buy another one. The bumper has no corrosion at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top