1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

V4 vs. V6?

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by daveh43, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Jun 16, 2014 at 7:25 AM
    tintala

tintala Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Access 4 cyl, 5 spd
    But after seeing my neighbors v6 , I finally realized I traded my 97 f150 with 87k mile on a4 banger 09 5 spd access 4x4... Lol.. I test drove it and the dealer talked my balls off to distract me from all the ext.blemishes ! Besides it was the only one within 300 miles of Boulder, I searched and searched and could never find a taco with less 100k on it in 5 spd access. I had to go with a red taco 4 banger , since having a baby needed the child seat option.

I never got to test drive the 6 cylnder but they're out a my price range , even the 4 banger wasn't cheap. So I sorta regret it but then again had no option since I needed it really quick. It's been 6 mo now, I love my taco and am now getting a topper tom put on it with racks. I am digging the gas mileage opposed to my ford , it even seems to have as much power has my old ford . I love how I can park it in nearly any spot I need to .. It's responsiveness is impressive as well, like a sports car almost. Good thing you already know the difference though.

Point is , I really like the 4 banger I won't be driving into the mountains much or towing anything . Gas prices will only go up from here. They also last a while. But what do I know I only got 11 posts.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  2. Jun 16, 2014 at 9:24 AM
    harleyg

harleyg Landscape Photographer

Member:
    First Name:
    Harley
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner AC 2.7 Leer 180
    I have the 4 cylinder PreRunner extended cab with an automatic. I was worried about it being under-powered when I got it and I am quite happy with the performance. I find the biggest downside to the 4 is when using cruise control and going up hills (even fairly small ones). The engine kicks way up. I have learned to just take it off cruise. Other than that, the 4 is a fine performer.

I drive the truck up in the Sierra Nevada mountains with camping gearing and a mid-high shell and it does just fine climbing. If I had to do it over, I would get 4wd, but would get another 4 banger for the gas mileage. It is a great engine and truck.

3. Jun 16, 2014 at 12:27 PM
    BKill

BKill AKA Threadkiller

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma PreRunner
    I have the same cab/engine/transmission and feel the same way. That's why I wished the transmission was a 5 speed. That way the gears would be closer and when it kicked down on small hills, the RPM jump wouldn't be as extreme.

4. Jun 16, 2014 at 12:36 PM
    nomad_archer

nomad_archer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Brickerville (Lititz), PA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Tacoma V6 SR5
    I did get 22.5 with the 4.0 V-6 DC automatic with 4WD with the stock 245x75 r16 or whatever came on the truck when it was fairly new and I babied the truck. Then I added a fiberglass cap and went with 265-70-R16 Grabber AT2 tires and now I average about 18 and it is what it is.

To the OP. When I got my truck in 2010 I never planned on towing anything. But since then I bought a house and tow a trailer every once in awhile. So the moral of story is never say never since things often change. By the way the v6 is a very nice motor for this truck. It has never felt like it didnt have enough to get the job done especially with a full load of wet firewood in the bed and trailer.

5. Jun 17, 2014 at 8:22 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Agree it has all the power one needs or more! The mileage suffers from stop and go driving (in town/city)... Once you are on the highway then the needle moves very slow.

I zero out my trip odometer when I fill up... and am luck when I have done more than 75 miles when the gas needle hits the 3/4 tank line (= 15 mpg). On the highway, it usually makes it to 90 miles (18 mpg).

6. Jun 17, 2014 at 8:35 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Since everyone else gave great responses on the choices, I will just clear this up for you. There are typically 4 engine configurations available. The "I", "V", Boxer, and Rotary. Rotary are in Mazdas, and are a whole nother creature there! The Boxer is like the old school VW with the pistons facing 180DEG away from each other, going side to side.

[​IMG]

The "V" configuration (V6, V8, V10, etc) have an even number of cylinders in a "V" shape when looking at the front of the engine.

[​IMG]

The "I" configuration or "inline" as it is also commonly called, means that all the cylinders are in a straight line. You have I4, I5, and I6 engines as the most common.

[​IMG]

Hopefully that cleared up your curiosity on the way engines are called one or the other.

7. Jun 18, 2014 at 8:26 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    The Subaru is also a boxer engine, but water cooled... Great design, small and smooth.

8. Jun 18, 2014 at 9:24 PM
    BKill

BKill AKA Threadkiller

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma PreRunner
    Hey Bill, believe it or not2 manufacturers even made a V5 engine. VW made one, which was based on the VR6, which was really more of a staggered inline. Honda also made a V5 for their MotoGP racing bike. Both of these had 3 cylinders on one bank and 2 on the other. Strange but true.
    On a related 5 cylinder note, although we're used to inline 5 cylinder engines from VW and Audi, Ford once built a prototype 5 cylinder flathead for their Model A back in the late 20s. Chevrolets came with an inline 6 and Ford was trying to compete, but the engine compartment wasn't long enough for a 6, so they experimented with the 5 cylinder. Of course about 2 years later the B Model ('32) came out with the flathead V8, and the rest, as they say, is history.

9. Jun 19, 2014 at 8:18 AM
    Mr. Pick

Mr. Pick Well-Known Member

Member:
    Middle TN
    Vehicle:
    '12 AC, SR5, 2.7L, Auto
    Not to mention GM's I5 that appeared in the Chevy Colorado, Hummer H3 and some others:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Atlas_engine#LLR

10. Jun 19, 2014 at 10:33 AM
    BKill

BKill AKA Threadkiller

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma PreRunner
    Yeah, I remembered that one as soon as I hit "Submit Reply" and never went back to add it in. I still remember when both Dodge and Ford started building V10s. After a lifetime of mostly V8s and V6s, with an occasional V12, the idea of a V10 just sounded strange to me.

11. Jun 19, 2014 at 10:36 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Well yeah, a lot of old school engines were used in many different configurations. I was just giving a general consensus on what the different types were. I admit I did not know, nor have I ever seen a V5. Interesting. I will have to look it up at some point. The I5s that I was referring to were the ones GM used. Not exactly their best engine for sure. Made me a lot of money of them though!

12. Jun 19, 2014 at 12:31 PM
    BKill

BKill AKA Threadkiller

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma PreRunner
    Oh, I know. I'm not trying to come off as a "know-it-all", just thought I'd add a bit of trivial information. I started reading Motor Trend, Road and Track, and Hot Rod magazines when I was 12. Which, now that I think about it, means that I've been reading car magazines for 50 years. I can tell you who drove Fords for Holman and Moody in 1964, but can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday.

13. Jun 19, 2014 at 1:20 PM
    SouthernTaco

SouthernTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Jasper, GA
    Vehicle:
    '10 PreRunner SR5 4-banger AC
    You have a V6 double cab and you claim an average 20-21 mpg?

lol - time to learn math.

14. Jun 20, 2014 at 8:20 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Just filled my tank yesterday... $3.99/ gallon (Shell regular 87 octane, California) and it was my typical combined city/hwy... but more around town driving... and was 14.3 mpg.

15. Jun 21, 2014 at 8:35 PM
    thunderhorn25

thunderhorn25 New Member

Member:
    I have a 2003 Tacoma 4x4 4 cyl, 5 spd. manual and love the truck! I owned two other Toyota trucks in the 90's both 4 cyl as well. So yeah, they might not have the power of a 6 cyl, but man those 4 bangers are great engines...I sought out the 4 bangers. I never got any of those trucks stuck...ever! the torque on them is crazy. I hauled elk in them on mountains roads, never a problem...I been in third gear too going up the mountain, no biggie for me. Plus the 4 banger with over sized tires means I go slow so no tickets , another winner! Ha, as I get a little older slowing down don't seem to bother me much.

U really can't go wrong either way but like someone else posted ..if you gotta ask maybe you should get a 6.

16. Jun 23, 2014 at 4:32 PM
    Manic Mike

Manic Mike Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma 4X4
    The day after Thanksgiving 1979, I bought a 1979 3/4 ton Ford 4X4 w/351. At 48K I pulled the engine and replaced it with a built for low end power '70 T'bird 429. It has 410's and just over 105K on it now. That SOB will pull for a gas engine.

I have 94 Wrangler 4 cylinder with a 5 speed and it will barely get out of its own way.

That said, I just bought a 2.7 regular cab with the 5 speed. It is a '98 with 100775 on the clock. The thing amazes me. I drive like an old woman, yet this thing keeps running away with me.

If I don't get a speeding ticket in the Tacoma it will be a miracle, and I have not had a ticket since 1977. I have been using the Tacoma for a fishing rig. We live in a rather hilly part of Idaho, and while I have not spent the time to calculate the exact mpg, a good guess would be 23-24.

It has plenty of power on the hills, not quite the same as the Ford, but a damn sight more than the Wrangler. I find myself shifting quite a bit less frequently than when driving the Wrangler while beating it at the pump too.

I have only put about 700 miles on it since I bought it about 2 months ago, but most of those miles have been on mountain roads. It has a cab high canopy on it. Had the check engine light not turned on at start up yesterday, I would think it the perfect vehicle.

I have been driving the Wrangler since 2000, and the CEL has never come on. I was hoping for the same out of the Tacoma.

Toyota has a pretty good rep, and I have two with 239 and 269 K on them. I bought the Tacoma expecting nirvana, but the posts about CEL codes, frames and springs make me wonder. I still think the Tacoma is the best little truck out there, but whether you buy the 4 or 6, do not expect perfection.

17. Jul 18, 2014 at 8:28 PM
    daveh43

daveh43 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    New Jersey
    Hey guys! Thanks so much for all the input! I just bought a black Toyota Tacoma w/ manual transmission, I4, access cab. I love it!

18. Jul 18, 2014 at 8:33 PM
    carolina4bangin

carolina4bangin Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Mooresville, North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Red 03 Sr5 TRD Extra Cab
    Weather techs, beer tap 4wd shifter
    I have a 2003 xcab 5speed 4wd and its got the 2.7 I get 20-22 mpg and have towed my dads 27 foot sailboat and still had plenty of get up. I test drove a 3.4 v6 that was also 5 speed 4wd and xcab and I couldn't tell a difference between theb2 except the v6 had slightly more torque. But it wasnt the 4.0 so I couldn't tell you about that motor

19. Jul 18, 2014 at 8:40 PM
    tooter

tooter play every day

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2012, std cab, 5 lug, 2.7, 5 speed
    Built for maximum low end torque, tooter II.VII intake manifold spacer, LCE long tube header, Injen long tube intake, 2,900 rpm torque peak.
    I'm happy for you, Dave. :)
    The little 4 banger with a 5 speed stick is a great combination that's lots of fun to drive. :thumbsup:

Greg

20. Jul 19, 2014 at 10:48 AM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    You forgot the "W" :thumbsup:

And some bikes have a V-4 so they are out there. Ive even seen a dune buggy with a turbo V-4 that I can only assume was from a bike...

Products Discussed in

To Top