1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Official Kayaking/Canoeing Thread

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by mntbiker2008, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Jun 17, 2014 at 12:51 PM
    teneighty

teneighty I'd rather be skiing...

Member:
    Right behind you. NY
    Vehicle:
    18’ F150 SCREW LB 3.5 EcoBoost
    Bilstein 5100’s (x4), 275/65/20 Cooper XLT AT3’s
    Thanks guys, yeah I agree the Hobie is heavier and MUCH more expensive. I fly fish lakes and rivers and I am looking for something that I can stand in. I love the features of the hobie (TMS, mirage drive, and that AMAZING adjustable seat) the biggest draw for me...
    I would like to be able to take it in low water rivers as well and being able remove the mirage drive and paddle would be nice but I'm concerned how the hobie would paddle...
    I like the Old Town MX because of the large standing area and the price is nice. I wish I could try them each for a few days in different areas and see which I like best.

2. Jun 17, 2014 at 1:49 PM
    NC15TRD

NC15TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    PA
    Vehicle:
    16 Sierra SLT All Terrain
    Readylift, Truxedo, Husky Liners, Carven
  3. Jun 17, 2014 at 2:42 PM
    Yakoma

Yakoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    ATL-ish
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4 - White
    Black APS Bull Bar Black Westin Step Bars Black ARE camper top with Yakima J-cradles (replaced Roll-X Tonneau) Black AMP HD Bed Extender
    Take a look at the Jackson Kayak Cuda...it's built to stand in. I tested one out at the store pool and it rocked (in the good way). But it's definitely slower than my Tarpon and they're not giving them away either. But cheaper than a Hobie. It's a well-designed boat. They also make a 14'.

Another to consider for standing is the WS Ride. Slow, but stable.

4. Jun 17, 2014 at 3:04 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    LOLz

5. Jun 17, 2014 at 3:51 PM
    teneighty

Member:
    Right behind you. NY
    Vehicle:
    After doing some more research and watching a ton of videos as well as determining where my kayak will be primarily used... I'm leaning towards the Old Town Predator MX.
    And it's less than half of the Hobie...

6. Jun 17, 2014 at 4:30 PM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
  7. Jun 17, 2014 at 4:35 PM
    Polymerhead

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    Can I ask what you're going to be doing with it? That sucker is heavy and wide. Would be good for hunting out of or stand fishing, but not going to be great to paddle around. My kayak is 60 lbs and 29" wide and I wish it was faster and lighter. I bought mine for fishing lakes and rivers and it's been a great kayak so far but it's about all I can handle with loading and unloading fully rigged. And I've yet to flip it even though it's on the thinner side for a SOT fishing setup.

ETA - I see you want to stand in it. Mine wouldn't be great for standing in, but after actually using kayaks, I think the benefit is the light weight, maneuverability and lack of a need for a trailer. Getting one that is big/heavy/wide enough to stand in comfortably would destroy the rest of the experience for me. Mine is 60 lbs and I'm already thinking about upgrading to a lighter 'yak.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  8. Jun 18, 2014 at 3:22 AM
    NC15TRD

NC15TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    PA
    Vehicle:
    16 Sierra SLT All Terrain
    Readylift, Truxedo, Husky Liners, Carven
    :)

9. Jul 3, 2014 at 7:02 PM
    Banff2007Tacoma

Banff2007Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Black Sand Pearl TRD Offroad.
    GPS Navigation System, Old Man Emu complete lift with Dakar springs. Light Racing UCA's. BFG AT tires, KMC Enduro rims, Allpro E-locker guard. ARB Portable Air Compressor CKMP12. Backflip Tonneau Cover. Wet Okole seat covers.
    So I finally got to demo a few kayaks. So much fun. I am looking forward to renting a few times this year and see if I can get out a few times enough to buy one next year. Or maybe wait until the end of the year for some good deals or demo boats for sale. So much fun.

I tried a Venture Islay 12. Considering it was choppy water it handled very well.

kayak2_1483a012e0bb5e402335f605c5acd4fce279acf9.jpg

kayak1_363e51e602aec100c3ca8c02c0db5e1280f11155.jpg

10. Jul 3, 2014 at 7:39 PM
    teneighty

Member:
    Right behind you. NY
    Vehicle:
    I agree it's a bit heavy but nothing I can't handle on my own. I won't be carrying it a mile but it's plenty light enough to throw over my head for a 100yds at a time. My buddy has the predator 13' and I think that's the one. I like the idea of having it transducer ready and there is still plenty of space for standing. The thing is rock solid and I like the adjustability of its seat as well. Lots of addable features. Just need to find an urban camo and $1300...

11. Jul 9, 2014 at 7:59 PM
    steveo27

steveo27 Ask me about my weiner

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off Road & 1992 VW GLI
    The same shit everyone else has.
    Alright. I think Im ready to pull the trigger on a canoe.

A local sporting goods store has Old Town Sarnac 146 XTs on sale for 400$ (originally 600$) through the end of the month, and Im pretty sure its the one I want.

14'6" long. 2 seats + center storage area. 36" wide. 80lbs.

http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/canoes/recreation/saranac_146/

I plan on using it for fishing trips mostly. Maybe some weekend camping trips.

Thoughts?

:beer:

12. Jul 13, 2014 at 8:04 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    I was posting in the Kayak fishing thread here
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/boating-fishing/30045-fishing-out-kayak.html

So with that being said...I'd like to get some thoughts on the above from recreational kayakers too and not just kayak fishermen

13. Jul 14, 2014 at 7:13 AM
    nevenelestate

nevenelestate Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Southern MD
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma V6 4X4 SR5
    Stock
    Friday night I got out for a moon light kayak, was really cool. There was no wind so the water was like black glass. It was really peaceful...except the 3 or so times that fish decided to jump right next to the kayak, about pissed myself the first time.

[​IMG]
    best pic I could get with cell camera

14. Jul 14, 2014 at 8:51 AM
    Yakoma

Yakoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    ATL-ish
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4 - White
    Black APS Bull Bar Black Westin Step Bars Black ARE camper top with Yakima J-cradles (replaced Roll-X Tonneau) Black AMP HD Bed Extender
    Sorry, I'm a kayak fisherman, but here's my 2 cents anyway...

1. I use the SOSpenders brand of cartridge inflatable PFD. They were not cheap...one was $100...the other I got on sale for $75, but they've lasted 12 and 10 years respectively and I've never had to discharge the cartridge. They are not the auto-inflate models since didn't want a tipover to necessarily discharge the cartridge. The best part is that I can wear it all day...and I mean ALL day, and not notice that it's even on. It's completely unobtrusive. I recommend them even though it's a higher up-front outlay.

2. Check your state boating regs...in GA, I believe it's required to have nav lights on at night - red/green in front. I think the stern light might be optional. The problem with white light at night is that it attracts bugs - REALLY BAD mosquitoes on the Gulf Coast of FL. There various flashlight-type stern lights you can buy that are mountable on a piece of PVC and stuck in the rodholder. Check Ebay. I'd advise putting some reflective tape on your boat. At least that will help with visibility issues.

3. - Spare water bottle to pee in. Priceless. (I'm assuming you're a guy...got no advice for a girl...sorry).

- Paddle tether. You can make one out of 4 ft. of bungee and a carabiner. You won't want to surf launch with it attached, but you want to clip on as soon as you get out.

- Spare paddle - get a cheap 3-4 piece paddle you can store in the hull. Never know when you might need it. Don't want to be up a creek...blah, blah.

- Seat cushion - your seats may be padded enough, but I bought a couple of "thermarest"-style camp cushions that make all the difference for long days in the saddle.

- Scupper plugs for flatwater...won't want them in the surf or whitewater because you want the boat to drain, but when you're on flatwater, mostly it's nicer to be dry than wet. You can make them out of high-density foam using a length of piece of properly-sized PVC cut and sharpened to punch them out of the material (I use computer packing material). Or some folks buy the foam practice golf balls that I'm told fit perfectly. You can thread them with short lengths of cord to make them easier to remove if you wish. Use loops and you can clip them to the boat with a carabiner when you're not using them.

- Carabiners - I have dozens of them. Get them cheap at Harbor Freight. They're not climbing-worthy, but they work well for kayaking

- I can do without a cupholder, but if you need one, I'd recommend fashioning something that clips to the back of the seat to get it out of your way. Some seats come with cupholders built in.

I could go on and on, but those are the essentials. If you want more money-saving tips, find a local kayak-fishing board. We figure out how to fashion almost anything out of duct tape, pool noodle and PVC.

Cheers,
    Randy
    :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  15. Jul 14, 2014 at 11:36 AM
    nevenelestate

nevenelestate Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Southern MD
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma V6 4X4 SR5
    Stock
    As stated in above post, lights depend on state. In MD you only need "a white light to be displayed in sufficient time to prevent collision." I bought this little LED that I attached to the strap on my headlamp, I can leave it on, it is 360deg visible and it doesn't affect my night vision. I found that having the head lamp on is bad for night vision because it shines on the paddle and haul too much.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009NZNT6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    [​IMG]

MD boating regulations http://dnr.maryland.gov/boating/pdfs/recreationvessels.pdf

As Far as cup holder, i just sit my water bottle somewhere on the kayak, on mine there is an almost perfect spot just behind the seat. I wouldn't want an open cup because I would probably splash water into it, and much of my paddling is in salt or brackish waters.

16. Jul 18, 2014 at 7:32 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    So I temporarily solved the light issue...

I bought a 5ft stick of 3/4 PVC, put a cap on 1 end, painted it black and stuck a $1 solar yard light in the end. fit was tight enough to not require any epoxy etc. and they're supposed to burn all night on a day's worth of charge. I added reflective tape to the light pole and i think a small roll was $3 so $10 total for 2 kayaks

I also dealt with the Feelfree's lack of scupper plugs today. Bought some of the foam golf balls and properly sized rubber plugs from Walmart and Lowes respectively...

both fit the scuppers perfectly. Golf balls were like $7 for a bag of 10 or so and rubber plugs were around $2 each

I drilled holes in each, and shoved 550 cord thru with a small fender washer and knot on 1 end, and a loop for a clip on the other

17. Jul 18, 2014 at 8:22 PM
    Polymerhead

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    Here's the PFD I use. Honestly in lakes and small rivers it's stowed in the kayak but it's good to have around anyway.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004D35Y7Y/ref=oh_details_o03_s02_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm hitting a big lake next weekend running jug lines overnight, so you can bet I'll have it on running new-to-me water after dark.

Very happy with it. Lots of storage for fishing clippers/tackle/licenses but high in the back so no interference with the kayak seat.

18. Jul 19, 2014 at 4:37 AM
    budd4766

budd4766 Well-Known Member

Member:
    LaGrange, GA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma
    Smart idea on the yard lights. Ours (in the yard) don't always stay on ALL night, but should last long enough to be effective.

This is what I use for scupper plugs....the rubber tips for stool legs:

[​IMG]

I carry a milk crate in the back of mine to hold whatever I need to carry...mostly fishing gear. I bought a piece of 2" PVC pipe and zip tied it upright to the crate for a rod holder.

And, of course I plasti-dipped it..:)

One piece of advice that I would give and don't hear many people mention is adding a tether for your paddle. Mine is a long piece of bungy-type cord with a loop. That way, if your paddle slips off and floats away, you don't have to try to catch up with it using your hands.

19. Jul 19, 2014 at 5:35 AM
    Polymerhead

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    Yep, a tether is a given. And an extra paddle broken down and stored in your hull is a great thing to have as well, just in case!

20. Jul 19, 2014 at 7:53 AM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    I made a tether for my paddle and another for my stake out stick using some 550 cord, a couple of bowline knots and a carabiner.

To Top