1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I am really starting to hate Stealerships

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by KdF, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Jun 21, 2014 at 9:02 AM
    KdF

KdF [OP] Old Rednek Type

Member:
    East-ByGod-TEXAS!
    Vehicle:
    2000 Prerunner SR5 TRD 2WD
    1st time I took my Taco in for the Timing Belt and Water pump, they told me my Valve Cover Gaskets were leaking. Checked everything and absolutely NO LEAKS! Filed it under A@@Holes. Took it back in to get the Tranny Flushed, and once again they said my Valve Cover Gaskets were leaking AND the steering rack was leaking. This time it really pissed me off, grabbed the service advisor and took a clean shop rag and went all along the Valve Covers, Nothing, then made him look at the steering rack, and he showed me where I put my hand when I changed out the bushings. I crawled his rear. I wonder how many lies these Yahoo's tell people on a daily basis to get extra work.

Still pissed.

2. Jun 21, 2014 at 9:08 AM
    smmarine

smmarine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Melbourne FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S ABS
    I get you. I went in for a valve tick, service writer never listened to me when I explained it. They said my coils and leads were bad and arcing. Asked them if they were positive that was the problem, and they said yes. So I decided to do it myself since they wanted $675 to do it. And what do you know, that wasn't the problem. So I went back and threw a fit at the service manager

3. Jun 21, 2014 at 9:40 AM
    Moco

Moco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    96 Regular Cab 4x4 5spd
    If you have enough mechanical competence to check and know your valve covers are leaking, you have enough mechanical competence to do your own timing belt and flush your tranny fluid.

Your truck is ages out of warranty, why the hell are you taking it to the dealer anyway? Do you like paying exhorbitant labor costs and part markups?

Lastly, after they violated their integrity, YOU chose to go back to the same dealership. So who's the donkey in this story?

If you dont/cant do the work yourself, I guarantee you there is a good independent shop somewhere nearby that will do it just fine.

4. Jun 21, 2014 at 10:02 AM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport

WTF??

You may be that donkey, judging by your angry post.

5. Jun 21, 2014 at 10:11 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    I agree with the OP. You should not get bent over by the dealerships. Shame on them. To the crooked dealers.....[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  6. Jun 21, 2014 at 10:22 AM
    Mainmoe02

Mainmoe02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    3" lift EIBACH coils w/ 5100's front, OME/ Dakar leaf springs w/ toytec adjustable shackles at 1.5" and 5125's out back. 33x10.5x15 KM2's Relentless DIY steel bumper.
    I think the OP's meaning behind it is they try to make up these " things" that are wrong with a vehicle just so they can either do the work when it wasn't needed or say they did the work but actually didn't do sheeeet. Also, since the OP knew what they meant when they said his "valve cover gaskets were leaking", he was able to check to see if they were trying to rip him off. I'm sure the dealerships have lots of instances where the owners of the vehicles they check will say "yes" to anything the dealer says needs done. Good catch OP! Don't give those crooks your money

7. Jun 21, 2014 at 10:27 AM
    Moco

Moco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    96 Regular Cab 4x4 5spd
    Granted, but why would OP then turn around and go back to that very same dealership a second time?

Thats like saying, "I went to the dentist for a checkup and I caught him trying to grope my schwanz. A week later I was in for a tooth cleaning and he stuck his finger up my ass! What a scumbag dentist this guy is!"

8. Jun 21, 2014 at 10:29 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Sadly enough, there are so many reputable dealerships with good techs that suffer because of other dealerships lack of integrity.

9. Jun 21, 2014 at 10:30 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    ^^ Maybe the OP was giving a second chance (just to make sure he isn't dreaming) I'm pretty sure it won't happen again.

10. Jun 21, 2014 at 10:41 AM
    Mainmoe02

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    3" lift EIBACH coils w/ 5100's front, OME/ Dakar leaf springs w/ toytec adjustable shackles at 1.5" and 5125's out back. 33x10.5x15 KM2's Relentless DIY steel bumper.
    Who knows, maybe he thought it was a fluke. I'd give a shop a second chance. I also would like to go back and see if they try to pull this nonsense on me again. Which is what the OP did, he gave then another chance but I'm sure he was weary of their diagnosis. When he took his truck in the second time he was lied to again about repairs that were not needed. This time he outed the tech who lied about the work needed. I would have done the same thing but now would not go back and I would make sure no one I know ever goes there either.

Plus someone molesting being compared to someone lying about mechanical work needed is 2 totally different things. Can't be compared to each other.

11. Jun 21, 2014 at 10:55 AM
    KdF

KdF [OP] Old Rednek Type

Member:
    East-ByGod-TEXAS!
    Vehicle:
    It was (actually) the 3rd strike, and they are OUT! one was with my Wife's Rav4. But, being of somewhat sound mind and getting OLD , there are 3 things I know not to do with Automobiles. One is electrical. The second is Transmissions (Sure I can drain some of the fluid and change a filter) but have not the machinery to do a complete flush of the Trans. And finally I refuse to work on Air Conditioners. Yes I have rebuilt 3 engines from scratch (Pushrods) and restored VW's in my younger days, but replacing the Leaf's and Brakes, shocks/Struts, rack Bushings and such put me out for 2 weeks because of my back. It does suck getting up in years, and the will is slowly fading. I do have a line on a Independent Shop tho, If I need further repairs I do not feel confident to do. I just hate being lied to by anyone.

12. Jun 21, 2014 at 11:06 AM
    Moco

Moco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    96 Regular Cab 4x4 5spd
    I hear you. Im in my 30's and a few hours bent over and kneeling down will have me feeling it the next day.

Being as mechanically inclined as you are, you must realize that taking the car to a dealership is a fool's errand UNLESS its for warranty work. If its customer pay, avoid the dealer like a plague. Most dealer's abuse their techs and the techs in turn dont give a shit about your car other than how they can slap on it what its in for and beat time on it. Plus you got a scumbag service writer who is trying to juice you for as much $$$ as he possible can. To top it all off, you are paying a labor rate sometimes in excess of $120/hr - of which the tech working on your truck gets maybe 1/8 to 1/6 of if he's lucky.

Find a good independent shop, get to know the owner and techs, and bring the guys donuts or beer everytime you go pick up your truck and they will bend over backwards to take care of you.

Let the dealerships feast on the stupid and gullible.

13. Jun 21, 2014 at 11:18 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Usually I ask to see the problem when the tech reports it. Never had an honesty issue in the last ten years, and had a few legit leaks caught that I would've otherwise missed. Some problems are easier to see while the vehicle is on a lift.

14. Jun 21, 2014 at 11:55 AM
    jamesinkeys

jamesinkeys Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    james
    florida keys
    Vehicle:
    pre runner
    pimped
    KdF..Thanks for the heads up. Sometimes they get you in relaxed mood and, as long as I am here, go ahead and do the work ....Hold up! wait a minute! Get me outta here.. :confused:

15. Jun 21, 2014 at 12:50 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    What is the name and address of the dealership so we can avoid it?

16. Jun 21, 2014 at 1:07 PM
    KdF

KdF [OP] Old Rednek Type

Member:
    East-ByGod-TEXAS!
    Vehicle:
    Used to be known as Champion Toyota in South Austin on the Motor Mile. Now it goes by the name of Auto Nation Toyota.

17. Jun 21, 2014 at 3:23 PM
    kn38ms

kn38ms Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW, FL

Indeed Champion sucks. Their sales dept tried to fist fuck me awhile back and I walked.

I have always been treated fair and well at Toyota of Round Rock.
    They performed an out warranty cooling system leak repair for me and I didn't even get charged for it. What an awesome surprise!

18. Jun 21, 2014 at 3:33 PM
    Mainmoe02

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    Haha I didn't realize you were in the same city as me till your last post. I live like 3 miles from the "motor mile", near congress and oltorf. Maybe I'll see you around town.

19. Jun 21, 2014 at 3:44 PM
    KdF

KdF [OP] Old Rednek Type

Member:
    East-ByGod-TEXAS!
    Vehicle:
    Yep. SW, Brodie and Alexandira. I'll keep a look-out. So if ya see some crazy-ass waving and honkin, you'll know.:D

20. Jun 21, 2014 at 3:49 PM
    Mainmoe02

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    Nice, I grew up in oak hill/ shady hollow and I'm still in south west Austin a lot, I'm sure I'll see ya around

Products Discussed in

To Top