1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mid Travel 1st gen prerunner setup - help

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Jjdude, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Aug 28, 2013 at 11:54 AM
    Jjdude

Jjdude [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Central Valley Cali
    Vehicle:
    2003 Preruner TRD
    Overall: 16" Mickey Thompsons, 285/75R16 BF Goodrich Mud Terrains T/A KM2, K&N Coldair Intake, Flowmaster Exhaust, Billet Grille, Suspension: King Coilovers, Total Chaos UCAs, King shocks on rear

Sounds like a pretty good set up and fairly similar to what I want! With a set up like this would this be something that I could take out to the desert or dunes and not haul ass but take some nice small whoops or trails with bumps and dips going like 25-35ish mph and not feel like hurting my truck. I mean I know its not a LT or a LT set up but I still like to go out and have fun and know my truck can handle it and isn't under equipped. Or am I still way out of my league? lol

I don't go offroad all the time maybe once or twice a month since I go to college near Pismo and the dunes are so close :D and I go to California city about once or twice a year I don't do nothing extreme out there but I would love to take my truck out on some trails

2. Aug 28, 2013 at 4:50 PM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    yes, you'll be able to take the truck out, mob around and have a great time. you'll quickly learn the limitations of the truck and as long as you don't push past them, you'll be able to drive home after a day in the dirt

basic gusseting and strengthening are always a good idea, even with mid travel

3. Aug 28, 2013 at 7:03 PM
    Jjdude

Jjdude [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Central Valley Cali
    Vehicle:
    2003 Preruner TRD
    Overall: 16" Mickey Thompsons, 285/75R16 BF Goodrich Mud Terrains T/A KM2, K&N Coldair Intake, Flowmaster Exhaust, Billet Grille, Suspension: King Coilovers, Total Chaos UCAs, King shocks on rear

sweet! I can't wait to do this then! I am just shopping around to make sure I am getting a good deal on everything I get. I definitely want to make sure my ride is supported so I am going to get the gussets forsure. What else is there as far as strengthening and support?

I would love to see some before and after pics of 1st gen Tacoma's that have gone the mid travel route.

4. Aug 28, 2013 at 8:16 PM
    KevbekTacoma

KevbekTacoma To Be Continued...........

Member:
    First Name:
    Kev
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '12, 4X4, DCSB, MT
    KING 2.5 RR (Front/Rear), TC UCA, DAKARS, MTR W/ KEVLAR, SCS SR8, TUBE BUMPERS, SLIDERS, MF CAT BACK, LIGHTS.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/228541-mid-travel-toyota-gallery.html

5. Aug 28, 2013 at 8:21 PM
    Jjdude

Jjdude [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Central Valley Cali
    Vehicle:
    2003 Preruner TRD
    So I have been looking at two kits off the top of my head 1st is the camburg fox 2.5 kit

http://camburg.com/store/95-04-tacoma2/fox-toyota-tacoma-96-04-pre4wd-factory-2-5-kit/

It is running at $2250 before the 10% discount for TW member but I am not sold because I want someone's input on the fox coilovers and I kinda liked the idea of the king 2.5's in the back instead of the fox 2.0s

second is going through DSM and getting the king 2.5s up front, king 2.5 w resi, and camburg UCA = $2380 but I don't think that is too accurate because the camburgs were listed cheaper separate than in that pack so I would call and clarify and getting fox2.5s with resi up front would be +300

side note: I have some AAL springs in the garage we took off a couple years back idk what brand or much about them but I figure I would throw them back on until I can afford some Dakar's or Deaver's or something good

6. Aug 28, 2013 at 9:36 PM
    KevbekTacoma

KevbekTacoma To Be Continued...........

Member:
    First Name:
    Kev
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '12, 4X4, DCSB, MT
    KING 2.5 RR (Front/Rear), TC UCA, DAKARS, MTR W/ KEVLAR, SCS SR8, TUBE BUMPERS, SLIDERS, MF CAT BACK, LIGHTS.
    its definitely a quality package. however, i think its kind of weird there are resis in the front rather than the rear. thats kind of backwards. you would want the rear to be resid as well.
    and this will provide no lift for your rear, unless you put those old springs you have.

7. Aug 28, 2013 at 10:23 PM
    Jjdude

Jjdude [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Central Valley Cali
    Vehicle:
    2003 Preruner TRD

Yeah I know I feel like a lot of ppl on here say to run resis on the back and the front Dosent need them as much as the rear would? I know it's not going to do much for the rear but the springs will have to hold me over till I get some extra money

Right now I'm leaning kings on all 4 corners with resis in the rear and camburg UCA that's right about my price range for now

8. Aug 28, 2013 at 11:55 PM
    kbauman92

kbauman92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    North Bend
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma ext cab
    King 2.5x6 RR coilovers eibach coils Light Racing UCA Spidertrax spacers Fiberwerx fenders
    :jellydance: thats the set up im going for

9. Aug 29, 2013 at 12:14 AM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    resis depend on how hard you're gonna run the truck

10. Aug 29, 2013 at 9:11 AM
    Thetequilaworms

Thetequilaworms Carlos@Camburg.com Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Carlos
    Huntington Beach
    I'm curious as to why you think resis matter more in the rear than in the front?

This is the 1st time ive heard of this. Im not saying youre wrong, im just curious.

11. Aug 29, 2013 at 11:19 AM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    typically people are asociating the "need" for the resi out back based on the shock being a smaller dia body (2.0) than the front (2.5)

for a mid travel truck, especially a 1st gen that's a weekend warrior some of the time... a remote resi CO is not needed except to look cool. typically it's a $300-$500 option on a coilover... that money could be spent much better on other areas of the truck.

the icon 2.0 rear shocks are an old edelbrock carry over design from the old donahoe racing days (before Icon bought them when they filed bankrupcy). it's not the greatest shock out there... their new 2.0 non resi are a new design, however i had no experience running that shock

the fox 2.0 resi i have no experience with as well, but the resi mounts in an undesierable location IMO... and it's still a 2.0 shock in the end

king offers are 2.5 body rear shock, with a resi for cool factor. if i were to MT my truck again, i'd do king all 4 corners. standard internal resi CO and 2.5 rear shocks

not many pics out there of the 1st gen king 2.5 rears... so here's on for ya

[​IMG]

12. Aug 29, 2013 at 12:32 PM
    Jjdude

Jjdude [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Central Valley Cali
    Vehicle:
    2003 Preruner TRD
    I am just going off of what iv interpreted through peoples forums and what nelson has said maybe kevbek has another reasoning because he said the same thing as well?

but having the 2.5s in the rear instead of 2.0 does seem a lot more attractive to me just because I would think the 2.5s could handle more

13. Aug 29, 2013 at 1:00 PM
    Jjdude

Jjdude [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Central Valley Cali
    Vehicle:
    2003 Preruner TRD
    pretty much my set up until I get my new suspension I cant wait!photo 1.jpg

14. Aug 29, 2013 at 1:39 PM
    Thetequilaworms

Thetequilaworms Carlos@Camburg.com Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Carlos
    Huntington Beach
    im diggin the wheel and tire combo..

15. Aug 30, 2013 at 6:55 AM
    Jjdude

Jjdude [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Central Valley Cali
    Vehicle:
    2003 Preruner TRD
    Thanks! Yeah I know the tires are so mean looking lol just got them a few months ago

16. Aug 30, 2013 at 8:20 PM
    Jjdude

Jjdude [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Central Valley Cali
    Vehicle:
    2003 Preruner TRD
    Okay so I'm looking to order my parts this weekend most likely. I'm going to get kings on all four corners and the TC UCAs through DSM most likely unless i find a better deal...getting all that for roughly $2150 before tax I'm also buying gussets and bushings but is there anything else I will need for this install or should look into?

17. Jun 23, 2014 at 9:15 PM
    Jjdude

Jjdude [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Central Valley Cali
    Vehicle:
    2003 Preruner TRD
    I realized I never posted the final outcome last summer. So here it is in case anyone ever comes across this thread again

Had a little trouble finding a way to jack the truck up high enough but we got it
    IMG_1053.jpg
    Some badass looking coil overs
    IMG_1054.jpg
    Before:
    IMG_1061.jpg
    After:
    IMG_1067.jpg

IMG_1071.jpg

IMG_1068.jpg

IMG_1073.jpg

I don't really have a good final product picture on hand but here is one of me messing around out in Cal City after
    IMG_1769.jpg
    Then at the dunes.
    IMG_1924.jpg

I have a picture of the truck height measurements before the coilovers and I can measure the final height if anyone would like to see that

18. Apr 2, 2016 at 1:10 AM
    Trev7

Trev7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Lehi, UT
    Vehicle:
    2001 2.7l prerunner Orange Xtra cab
    Icon 2.5 ext travel street valve, Icon 2.0 resi, rebuilt leaf springs, built right UCA's, single stage ppg Orange paint.
    I know this is an old thread... But yes I'd like to know the measurements of before and after.
    How do you like your kings? Any issues? We're the 2.5 rear shocks worth the money?

Products Discussed in

To Top