1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New tablet?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by a.smo, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Jun 26, 2014 at 5:27 PM
    a.smo

a.smo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    PHX, Az
    Vehicle:
    '99 Trd Xtra Cab 4x4 5sp
    I have an offer for a trade on my xbox 360 250 gig slim with 3 games an 2 controllers. A guy is offering me a rca tablet.

http://www.walmart.com/msharbor/ip/30845898?&veh=mweb

My main use would be for school for writing. Is this worth the trade? Any good apps to write with?

2. Jun 26, 2014 at 5:35 PM
    DeltaSteve

DeltaSteve Social Critic

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    FW,TX near TCU
    Vehicle:
    '09 White TRD access
    KING 2.0" PERFORMANCE SERIES REMOTE RESERVOIR COILOVER SHOCK W COILOVERS, TC UCA, OME DAKAR SPRINGS, RELENTLESS PLATE R BUMPER and MORE :)
    If I was interested in a new Tablet ........I'd probably go here and do a ton of research http://www.tabletpcreview.com/ Your talking about a product that's at light-speed evolution. "rca tablet" ;0 I don't know about that.....

3. Jun 27, 2014 at 8:25 AM
    jsi

jsi Well-Known Member

Member:
    native earthling
    A no name tablet running Android? Run, run away. I can almost guarantee you there will be no updates or patches. I'd stay with name brand tablets especially with an Android operating system. Even then android is risky.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  4. Jun 27, 2014 at 8:34 AM
    jaymoussy

jaymoussy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern MA, US
    Vehicle:
    '12 AC Base 2.7l 4a
    Nexus 7 casual user here..

School work will require something better than a cheap tablet, IMO.

What is your experience with tablets?
    You would need additional hardware to make it a decent writing tool.

Bargain ChromeBook may be the way to go?

5. Jun 28, 2014 at 9:57 AM
    a.smo

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    PHX, Az
    Vehicle:
    '99 Trd Xtra Cab 4x4 5sp
    Thanks for the info guys. I decided not to go with that one at the time. How do you like the nexus 7? I've been thinking of getting it. I have pretty much no experience with tablets.

6. Jun 28, 2014 at 3:44 PM
    jsi

jsi Well-Known Member

Member:
    native earthling
    I have had a tablet since forever. I use it for note taking and can type plenty fast enough just on the glass. Some of my coworkers have bought bluetooth keyboards, but IMHO it makes the tablet at thick as a laptop. I'd say try it without a keyboard first and if you don't like it add one later.

Chrome books have their place, but without WiFi they are just paper weights. If I could only have one device I'd go with the tablet.

7. Jun 28, 2014 at 3:49 PM
    Newlife

Newlife Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 t4r orp
    Bone f’n stock for now
    Nexus 10 is what I use at home and work. Gets the job done more times than not.

8. Jun 30, 2014 at 3:05 PM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd

love my 7

9. Jun 30, 2014 at 3:13 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    If you type a lot then a tablet probably wont be the way to go. I have an Apple iPad Air and I love it but I wouldnt want to use it for school stuff especially if a lot of typing is involved. Yes you can type with them but a real keyboard is much easier.

10. Jul 3, 2014 at 6:52 PM
    a.smo

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    PHX, Az
    Vehicle:
    '99 Trd Xtra Cab 4x4 5sp
    I wont be typing much at all actually. I'll need to be actually writing it. I'm and engineering student and theres no way no program has all the different buttons and signs I need in my math and physics classes.

11. Jul 3, 2014 at 7:05 PM
    Greensystemsgo

Greensystemsgo 1 owner with clean car fox.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    18 year old black taco...
    Bone Stock.
    I'm glad you are pursuing engineering and not english.

However, you would be surprised what app's are available for tablet, including math and physics apps that can surely provide more then you know what to do with.

However for a good affordable tablet, that will hold its own, look into the nexus line. Cheap powerhouses. The next would be the galaxy tabs, much more expensive, similar specs though, but a more popular name.

12. Jul 3, 2014 at 9:50 PM
    a.smo

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    PHX, Az
    Vehicle:
    '99 Trd Xtra Cab 4x4 5sp
    Wow! My apologies. I usually read over what I write. It's been a long week for me.

I will have to look into those! I didn't think there would be an easy app to use for that kind of writing.

A family member might be selling me her Samsung galaxy tab 10.2. I believe that is what it is. It looked alright, but nothing spectacular. It's a few models old now.

I-m-an-Engineer-I-m-Good-at-Math-T-Shirts.jpg

13. Jul 3, 2014 at 11:41 PM
    Greensystemsgo

Greensystemsgo 1 owner with clean car fox.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    18 year old black taco...
    Bone Stock.
    Right on. Galaxy tabs are great. even a bit older will still get the job done. External wireless keyboards/mouse are able to be purchased if need be. Cannot stress enough to stick to a name brand. android support by the manufacturer of the device is one of androids largest downfalls. both samsung, and especially the nexus line are amazing for this reason.

14. Jul 4, 2014 at 9:06 AM
    Newlife

Newlife Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 t4r orp
    Bone f’n stock for now
    My nexus upgraded to 4.4.4 last night

15. Jul 4, 2014 at 9:11 AM
    packrobottom

packrobottom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pack
    Vehicle:
    Sky Silver SR5 DC v6 with sport mods
    My 2 cents owning nexus tablets and iPads. If you have to get an android tablet get a nexus 7.

I much prefer my iPad air. Gave my GF the nexus.

16. Jul 5, 2014 at 8:45 AM
    a.smo

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    PHX, Az
    Vehicle:
    '99 Trd Xtra Cab 4x4 5sp
    Why do you prefer the iPad air?

17. Jul 5, 2014 at 6:01 PM
    packrobottom

packrobottom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pack
    Vehicle:
    Sky Silver SR5 DC v6 with sport mods
    Eco system(app quality way more tablet apps) build quality, (cheap rubber back scratches easily on nexus), way better integration with my mac and iphone with iMessage. Better screen color,quality and brightness. Better battery life. Ios is just a more polished os and doesn't have scroll lag like android does.

Cousin works at google he's always trying to temp me. He gave me a free nexus 4 used it for two weeks and gave it back it was shit compared to my iphone. Crashed all the time, battery life was atrocious and the lag was unbearable. Photo management was a joke and the messaging was so inconvienent compared to iMessage.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  18. Jul 5, 2014 at 7:29 PM
    a.smo

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    PHX, Az
    Vehicle:
    '99 Trd Xtra Cab 4x4 5sp
    I wish I had the money for the Ipad air solely because the support system Apple has. They have great products too.

The biggest issue I've noticed with any droid device is all the bloatware. Slows everything down so much.

19. Jul 7, 2014 at 11:03 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    lol

Apple has a more polished feel in apps and a far greater number of tablet-dedicated apps, but I haven't felt like there's anything lacking in the Android market.

the metallic back of the iPads get a lot of scratches as well.
    No matter the object, I always get a case.
    The Seidio case on my Nexus 7 is a must.
    The LifeProof cases for the iPad are great.

:confused: What scroll lag? I'm guessing you were dealing with an older Nexus.

As for performance, battery life, etc., the platforms are constantly leapfrogging. In terms of specs, the first Nexus 7 was worse than the first iPad mini, which was worse than the second gen Nexus 7, which is now not as good as the new iPad mini.

I'm only commenting on myself when I say this, but I try to look at each platform equally and make the best decision I can, rather than choosing a brand loyalty. My current opinion is that the latest iPad mini is the more powerful choice and has huge aftermarket support. Both systems have a wonderful environment that comes down to personal preference.

I had personally chosen the Nexus 7 2013 because the cost was MUCH less and I was happier with the portable size. At the time, it was also the faster option. My hands also fit it better for typing, even with a case on.

Soon enough I will be facing this dilemma with phones again. I am comfortable in either OS, but the Samsung hardware leaves much to be desired in terms of battery and overall build. I loved my iPhone 4, but I couldn't live without the few things that were only accessible from jailbraking. What I'm saying is that it all comes down to weighing your options and making the best choice for yourself.

this is dependent on the manufacturer (in fact, Samsung got in trouble with Google for doing too much customizing). On a Google Nexus product, there is virtually nothing installed - just the basics and the Google base apps (maps, voice, keyboard, etc.).

20. Jul 7, 2014 at 11:21 AM
    CRU

CRU Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seminole Cnty, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 SSM TuRD Sport DCLB
    20" Enkei WT4 wrapped in Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3 265/50, Steel braided brake lines, Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS deck w/JBL GTO cones, OEM Smoked headlights, OEM LED tails, Clazzio seat covers, aFe Pro-Dry S air filter, Fumoto oil valve, Grillcraft MX grille w/Land Cruiser "TOYOTA" emblem, Redline QuickLIFT hood struts, Leather TRD shift knob, 13" shorty antenna
    Another one you may want to look into is the Dell Venue line. I picked up a Venue 8 (Android) for my parents and a Venue 8 Pro (Windows 8 Pro) for myself. I bought them for $119 & $199 respectively. I was surprised at how well built they were. The android one came with 4.3 at the time with absolutely no bloatware at all. Just the standard Jelly Bean load. Been using them now since December with no issues at all.

Products Discussed in

To Top