1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Recommendation for a tonneau cover

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by msqr, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Jun 30, 2014 at 11:07 AM
    msqr

msqr [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Hi folks,

I'm relatively new to the truck world - my Tacoma is my first truck.

Anyways, looking to get a tonneau cover so I can carry stuff in my bed in the rain, and also for at least a little bit of security (in terms of replacing a trunk from a car)

I'd prefer the following criteria:
    * Lockable -- does this mean I need to replace my tailgate handle (with backup cam) with a locking one?
    * Easy to install / remove (doesn't require drilling into the truck)

Would people recommend a soft or hard tonneau cover? Some of those tri-fold ones look quite interesting. Please let me know specific models you'd recommend.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  2. Jun 30, 2014 at 11:11 AM
    Murica

Murica F' YEAH!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB TRD OFFROAD 4x4
    Plasti Derp
    use the search tool there is tons of info on pretty much every tonneau cover for the tacoma

3. Jun 30, 2014 at 11:13 AM
    msqr

msqr [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Appreciate your help, but there isn't exactly a reco thread in any of the results.

4. Jun 30, 2014 at 11:14 AM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    When I get around to it I want the Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite. Gets good reviews from what I have seen, though newer revised versions are updated and more improved so I'd rather order straight from the manufacturer website (they run deals every now and then). Other good ones out there.

But to point something out...if you want a locking tonneau, then to me the soft cover is going to be worthless since a thief can cut right through it anyway. Not that thief can't bust into any other tonneau, but at least a harder tonnea acts as a deterrent/less easy prey.

Go type this in google...I find using google is much easier to search TacomaWorld than the actual built in search.
    "site:tacomaworld.com tonneau cover"

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  5. Jun 30, 2014 at 11:27 AM
    Carroll

Carroll Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carroll
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCLB
    My sixth truck with a lockable cover. I chose the G4 Elite and am VERY happy with it. Almost completely water tight. I can open the front OR the back of the cover. Both ends lock. The cover has a mechanism to lock to the tailgate (to prevent it from opening when the cover is closed) but I chose the Pop-n-lock wired with the door locks. I can open the cover or open the tailgate, and lock both.

Before this truck (and cover) I had a Pace Edwards rolltop cover (best of this type, in my experience) a Roll-n-lock rolltop that always leaked, an American Roll Cover (in my opinion overpriced - good cover), a Rollback cover (binds and noisy), and a fiberglas cover (clumsy and always a hassle when carrying things that will not fit under it).

I would be glad to elaborate on any of these through PM.

6. Jun 30, 2014 at 11:27 AM
    msqr

msqr [OP] Active Member

Member:
  7. Jun 30, 2014 at 11:30 AM
    BobReck

BobReck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2014 Blue Ribbon TRD Sport DCLB
    Fuel Lethal 17x9s, Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3s, Icon stage 4 lift with billet UCAs, Westin Bull Bar, Westin Nerf Bars, OEM Bed Extender, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, OEM Skid Plate, WeatherTech In-channel Wind Deflectors, Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite Tonneau, Pop&Lock Electric Tailgate Lock.
    With that wired pop-n-lock lockable replacement tailgate handle, did you have to run the wires up to the cab or does it plug into somewhere back by the tailgate. Might be a stupid question, but I'm still waiting on my taco to be delivered so I can't just go look. Thanks!

Bob

8. Jun 30, 2014 at 11:32 AM
    TacomaMike37

TacomaMike37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    13' DCLB MGM
    First off what is your budget. If its more conservative I would recommend, the access limited, cost me $380, uses the bedrail system, pretty easy to put on, and has a lifetime warranty. If you have a bit more loot to spend, extang makes sweet covers. I'm not a fan of the trifold types though as they completely cover the rear window.

And yes, there are about two dozen threads out there about this exact subject, stop being lazy!

9. Jun 30, 2014 at 11:35 AM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    Depends on what tonneau fits your purposes. Does your truck sit in a garage or is it parked outside in the sun? IF so then a metal or fiberglass tonneau is going to last much longer than soft vinyl.

Are you going to use it long term always on the bed or do you want something removable for temporary uses?

These kinds of questions dictate whether you would be better suited to buy something iwell above the $300 range versus something in the $300 and below that may not stand the test of time for anywhere near as long.

It has been my experience that most sub $300 tonneaus are soft/thin/vinyl/etc. While I won't knock them because I have no experience with them, they offer practically zero security against a sharp blade and will eventually degrade in the sunlight.

There are good budget tonneaus and there are also shit subpar products out there as I am sure you know.

10. Jun 30, 2014 at 11:43 AM
    stan23

stan23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    stan
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    I have the Access loredo cover on my truck. It came on the truck when I bought it used, but it was exactly the system I was looking for.

I have a manual lock on the tail gate, so with the cover closed, the bed is pretty secure. The cover rolls up nicely and is built pretty well.

My only gripe is that the cover replaces the stock bed rails, so I no longer have access to those sliding rails. Not a huge thing, but it would have been nice to have.

11. Jun 30, 2014 at 11:46 AM
    Carroll

Member:
    First Name:
    Carroll
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCLB
    I agree about the TRI-fold covers...however, the G4 folds upon itself and lays flat along the bed rails. It does not cover the window.

12. Jun 30, 2014 at 11:47 AM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    I love the Undercover, and my next truck will have one for sure.

13. Jun 30, 2014 at 11:47 AM
    Carroll

Member:
    First Name:
    Carroll
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCLB
    You must open the tailgate (remove plastic cover) and then run wires along the frame to just under the driver's door. There you send wires through a floor grommet to a harness under the sill plate. Connect the wires there and you are done.

14. Jun 30, 2014 at 11:56 AM
    BobReck

BobReck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2014 Blue Ribbon TRD Sport DCLB
    Fuel Lethal 17x9s, Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3s, Icon stage 4 lift with billet UCAs, Westin Bull Bar, Westin Nerf Bars, OEM Bed Extender, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, OEM Skid Plate, WeatherTech In-channel Wind Deflectors, Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite Tonneau, Pop&Lock Electric Tailgate Lock.
    Thank you for the detail. That sounds easy enough.

And that Fold-A-Cover Elite G4 looks impressive. I want one!
    Bob

15. Jun 30, 2014 at 12:02 PM
    josh0351

josh0351 Californication

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    VA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '13 TRD OR | '96 4X4 Reg Cab (RIP)
    Some stuff...
  16. Jun 30, 2014 at 12:14 PM
    North222

North222 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have the Undercover Classic on my 2014 DCSB and I really like it. I looked at a bunch of covers and liked the fold-able ones, but I kept seeing reviews about them leaking after they began to wear. So, I stayed simple and went with the solid cover. The undercover is quite stout and removes and installs very easily. It has two locks on either side and it covers the tailgate in the back to essentially lock it as well. It looks great too, IMHO.

Link - http://undercoverinfo.com/new_classic.php

17. Jun 30, 2014 at 12:16 PM
    Carroll

Member:
    First Name:
    Carroll
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCLB
    If you decide to pull the trigger on the G4, send me a PM. Lots of cool details...like replacing 4 1/4" bolts with thumbscrews to make it completely removable in less than a minute!

18. Jun 30, 2014 at 12:57 PM
    wgreenlee1021

wgreenlee1021 Off the Meds Again...

Member:
  19. Jun 30, 2014 at 2:19 PM
    yotaman90

yotaman90 bröther may I have some lööps

Member:
    Taos, NM
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Offroad
    Undercover! I love mine!