1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

'05 Motor Mounts Failed/Failing

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Khaos, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Jul 2, 2014 at 3:48 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Found out what my clunking was yesterday!! This is a shame! I'm calling my dealer to try and get this warrantied

image.jpg

2. Jul 2, 2014 at 4:13 PM
    Hans Moleman

Hans Moleman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2023 F-150 Powerboost
    I want to get mine reinforced before this happens. Anyone know where is a good place to get reinforcement welded in the San Francisco area?

3. Jul 2, 2014 at 4:25 PM
    ColtsTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Any fab shop should be able to make some gussets for it. Or call DMZ. They make a gusset kit specifically for this...that's what I'm gonna do if the dealer falls through.

4. Jul 2, 2014 at 4:26 PM
    ColtsTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
  5. Jul 2, 2014 at 8:16 PM
    vram74

vram74 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner SR5
    DMZ kit is reasonable. My problem is gonna be finding a welder in my area that isn't a jack leg.

After owning a Tacoma for less than 3 months in using a hard time understanding where this legendary reputation Toyota has comes from. My truck is an 05. I get that it's a ten year old truck and I don't expect perfection but this is straight up bullshit. Solid engine, tranny but everything else? Where do I start?

1. Paper thin tailgate that can be bent with harsh language - I can live with/fixable
    2. Plastic bed - Shitty but I can deal
    3. Potential frame rot - Live in the south. Frame not rusty - I can take preventative measures and deal with it.
    4. Piss poor leaf springs that can handle a load - Again, shitty, but fixable.
    5. Engine mounts breaking off at the frame??? Are you fucking kidding me?

This whole thing just oozes of ignorant engineering and cost cutting. Its a damn good looking truck, but that's about as far as it goes. A good engine/tranny means nothing if the structure its attached to is weak.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  6. Jul 2, 2014 at 8:25 PM
    Hans Moleman

Hans Moleman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2023 F-150 Powerboost
    it requires front diff removal. do fab shops do things like that?

7. Jul 2, 2014 at 10:57 PM
    ColtsTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    I don't know man. I don't have a front diff so you'd have to call around. My shop does/will.

8. Jul 7, 2014 at 4:37 PM
    ColtsTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    So, my insurance assessor came to my home today and even he said that the damage is clearly from a manufactoring flaw! Needless to say, they're not gonna cover me. Which sucks. Toyota told me to pound sand too! That's too bad they won't stand behind this! Guys like me/us are getting fucked because of it.

9. Jul 7, 2014 at 5:39 PM
    vram74

vram74 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner SR5
    I can't see this being treated any different than a rotted frame. Both render the truck unusable.

10. Jul 7, 2014 at 7:31 PM
    ColtsTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    I hear ya buddy! It's messed up! I'm pretty pissed off TBH!!!

11. Aug 18, 2014 at 2:39 PM
    Bigfro45

Bigfro45 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma trd sport Double cab
    Toytec alumaseries 2.0 front / rear. Rear OME mediums
    Well. Add another to the list. 2005 (Produced July 2004). Access Cab, TRD Sport, Red, nearly mint condition.

I haven't wheeled the truck at all in the past 1 year. On the highway the other day and heard a weird rattle from the engine bay that I hadn't heard before.

Got home, looked underneath and found the driverside engine mount weld has cracked on the bottom and it is beginning to sink in.

121K miles.

Toyota claims that I was in an accident (this was over 6 years ago) and due to that they won't cover it as they feel the accident caused the issue (this is what the service rep told me).... Although he is "Still waiting for approval from Toyota to do anything". I am still fighting with them though... Although I am nearly positive that they will tell me to get lost...

I have done an excellent job over the years keeping my frame clean, and free of mud / salt. Rust on my frame is present but not horrible. No holes, I do have some surface rust.

I live in Castle Rock Colorado. The truck is at the Toyota dealer off of Arapahoe Road. If they can't help I can get it to you to be repaired.

I need help. Toyota can't seem to help.... They seem to just be looking for a way out of helping....

This is my 5th Toyota. This may very well be my last Toyota.

12. Aug 19, 2014 at 5:43 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Just don't buy the first year of a new design. I ditched my 05 because of all the bullshit leaks and the possibility of these mounts caving. 08 has reinforced area on frame and none of the issues the 05 had......except the shitty 3 leafs and the tailgate. I live in south so no frame rot since not living near the beach or mudding regularly. 4 leaf packs in the garage and careful with tailgate until reinforcement occurs. Buying something else will just have same amount or more problems of their own so it's kinda sign of times where everything is built to fail....gotta keep people working building shit so other people can keep buying shit. Capitalism suffers if everything lasts forever so here, buy some shit. You want something to last forever then build it yourself or put it in a time capsule and not use it.

13. Aug 19, 2014 at 12:54 PM
    Bigfro45

Bigfro45 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    Agreed. Things should fail... The things that have failed on my 05 have been very atypical compared to all of my other Tacomas I have owned.

--Transmission bell housing due to throwout bearing being designed of steel but the shaft being designed of aluminum...

--3rd gear synro failing entirely and grinding while going into 3rd. Toyota changed

--Exploding clutch plate... Toyota had a bad clutch disk in 05...

-- Leaking timing belt cover, required replacement.

--leaks like a siv during rainstorms behind the dash.

--Intake rattles. TSB released for this.

--Exhaust leaks at the manifolds.

--Wheel bearings

and now the frame....

The total cost of ownership of this car has been the highest of any cars I have ever owned....

My am keeping a positive outlook though and hoping Toyota will provide some assistance. It is a pretty truck, lifted, nice wheels, shiny etc. Its a rolling toyota advertisement... Hope they help!

14. Aug 21, 2014 at 7:38 PM
    NIGHTMARE

NIGHTMARE Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    MS
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab Long Bed TRD-S
    3' suspension, projector lights, LED tail lights, others
    My truck is a 2005 DBL Cab TRD Sport 4x4. I am in the same boat as many others in this battle with Toyota about the frame breaking at the engine mount. Mine broke on the drivers side as well. The welds did not break rather the motor mount was ripped away from the frame. I am on week 4 from Toyota on getting the issue fixed with no luck as of yet. I have been back and forth with the service rep and Toyota. They have basically admitted fault and just don't want to do anything being the truck is out of warranty. They have told me out of good will they will pay to have my frame fixed but I have yet to find a mechanic/body shop that will fix the frame due to liability issues. If I recall reading the FSM Toyota states the only way to repair a broken/craked frame is to replace the frame it self. I can't seem to find that page in the book again though. Yet it contradicts what the Service Rep is telling me to do. They also will not recommend a shop for me to take the truck to and me not having a shop that will touch my original frame, what am I to do. I am currently speaking with my attorney in regards to the matter and will soon be taking legal action. There is no question Toyota is having a frame issue. I don't understand how others that are having frame issues in the North are getting trucks fixed no question from frame rust. What makes my frame problem different. You can not fix one truck frame and not the others. What sucks is knowing Toyota will make it right they just don't want to. I currently own three Toyotas. More than 10 in the family.

15. Aug 21, 2014 at 11:04 PM
    Bigfro45

Bigfro45 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    Update:

I lost my battle with Toyota. My driver side mount had failed (I am betting passenger was next. My truck was wheeled once or twice a year, lived a happy garaged life.

At the end of its day it had 122k .... That's it...

Toyota after 2 weeks of fighting refused to pay anything for the failure... Sucks as this was their fault.

They offered me a decent trade... About 2k less than kbb clean trade. Over all I paid 9300 dollars to won the truck for six years and rack up 85k on it.

The dealer will prob take the truck to a body shop and weld the frame back together on the driver side and put it out on the lot for a decent markup.

I traded up to a 13' double cab sport with 11k miles.

Sucks to have a payment again.... But I can say the 13 is so much better than the 05. Even the frame has been updated in several locations( plugs, reinforcements, better coating...)

It will be getting a fluid film treatment tomorrow....

Sucks but my 05 had so many problems. The 13 really is an improved truck.

16. Oct 3, 2014 at 11:51 AM
    PeachEater81

PeachEater81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Gregorio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Icon C/O, Icon 2.0 Resi's, LR UCAs, Alcan 8 leaf pack, Aero 2525XL, Michelin LTX MS2, Lifetime LED heads and fogs (bad company and product - don't buy), aFe Pro Dry filter, Weathertech mats, Best Top, Hybrid Audio, Arc Amp, Arc Sub, Ram matting, Core/Hurst Short Throw Shifter, OEM Bed Mat, Antenna X....
    Just got word that my 05 has motor mount issues...when will Toyota recall this...how many must die!

17. Oct 4, 2014 at 10:26 AM
    NIGHTMARE

NIGHTMARE Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    MS
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab Long Bed TRD-S
    3' suspension, projector lights, LED tail lights, others
    Best advice, buy a gusset kit, have a welder weld it in. After all said and done it's cheaper to have it welded yourself and keep driving it rather than waiting weeks on weeks for Toyota. Took me 9 weeks.

18. Oct 4, 2014 at 5:37 PM
    vram74

vram74 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner SR5
    Let them get through with the recall on the frames and leaf packs. Seems Toyota's cost cutting chickens are coming home to roost. Hope this teaches them a lesson before the 3rd gens go into production.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  19. Nov 24, 2014 at 11:27 PM
    VanCity4x

VanCity4x Well-Known Member

Member:
    AB
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    3link on tons
    1 more to list. 2005 prerunner 4wd covert. My drivers motor mount collapsed in. Removed the diff and temp welded it up today. Going to gusset it and passenger side asap

20. Nov 25, 2014 at 5:56 AM
    blackbrit

blackbrit Well-Known Member

Member:
    W. NC Mountains
    Vehicle:
    '05 DCSB 4x4 OR 6 Speed MT
    3 inch lift
    Just stopped in when I saw your post. So sorry you joined the club! Sounds like you have the skills to fix it yourself. :)

Also, could you report it to Toyota and that government recall admin (National Highway Traffic Safety something? I think we have the numbers or web links somewhere earlier in the thread. No time at the moment to pull them here for you. Sorry!:eek:)

That's all I was able to get out of it: reporting it. Eventually it has to add up to a recall... Hope someday Toyota may pay my expenses for the work to beef up the mounts. But not holding my breath, of course.

Products Discussed in

To Top