1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pop & Lock for Tacoma now with Bolt Lock

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PaulK, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Jun 30, 2014 at 3:50 PM
    Dragons Taco

Dragons Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cary/Raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Black TRD-S 4WD 4D 6SPD and MINE!
    Can ya spell Tonneau

I like mine quite a bit. I wired it to the passenger lock so even if I don't lock the doors, It will remain locked if I just use the driver door.

2. Jun 30, 2014 at 6:24 PM
    calico

calico Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma Limited
    Viper Alarm and Remote Start Prestigious Society mod Camera display relocated to headunit Weathertec floor mats, window deflectors, and mud flaps Toyota Bed mat Tailgate lock Undercover SE tonneau and Swing Cases (driver and passenger) Hi-lift install Fumoto Qwik Valve ImMrYo Mirror mod Salex console organizer
    I've already received a response from them and they mentioned sending a replacement. Looking forward to it as it would be nice to eliminate the additional key needed to open the tailgate.

3. Jul 4, 2014 at 9:53 AM
    hygieneboy

hygieneboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    I Installed mine yesterday in about ten minutes. The pressure to pull up on the handle and open the tailgate is about twice as much as OEM. The lock is also less than confidence inspiring and feels quite cheap like it won't last long before breaking. Overall the fit is good but not perfect and it works although it definitely could be improved.

image.jpg

4. Jul 4, 2014 at 9:54 AM
    hygieneboy

hygieneboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    ;)
    Low angle shot

image.jpg

5. Jul 4, 2014 at 10:24 AM
    doughboy

doughboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    norcal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    hid head lights, hid fog lights, always on fog lights, bed lights
    if you feel it is tight, push the top of the tailgate in while you lift the handle. It will lessen the pressure on the latch. I've used mine since 2010 and it works just fine.

6. Jul 4, 2014 at 10:56 AM
    Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Go Pokes!

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM DCSB OR 4x4
    Clazzio leather seat covers, CBI T3 front, SOS sliders, SCS Ray10s, 285/75/16 Duratracs, debadged, extra bed D-ring tiedowns, Advantage TorzaTop, OEM bed mat, custom center console organizer, Husky liners, remote start.
    I installed this the other day. Seems kinda cheap in quality, but does the job. I don't lock it often, just like that a potential perp sees the lock is protection enough for my peace of mind.

7. Aug 7, 2014 at 11:30 AM
    Trader5050

Trader5050 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    14 Double Cab SR5 w/ Tow Package
    I just installed a (Pop n' Lock) PL8540 yesterday in my '14. I did all of the physical installation, however I haven't wired it yet (I'll probably get a local shop to do that) due to my inexperience / apprehension about damaging any panels and messing up the wiring.

A few notes:
    - As previously mentioned, the panels are extremely sharp. Wear work gloves.
    - The drain holes at the bottom of the tailgate that the wiring is supposed to go through are NOT big enough to simply push the wiring through. I had to use what I considered excessive force and had to compress the plastic sheath around each connection significantly to get them through. I'd recommend just drilling a new hole or slightly expanding one of the drain holes.
    - I'm not sure if it's just my kit or the design for all, but it has issues locking. I have to use a good deal of force to lock it, although it unlocks just fine. There is a plastic piece that is central to the mechanism and it has to bend more than I'm comfortable with (due to the pressure placed on it during the locking process). Perhaps mine just isn't lining up properly, but it's bolted on in the correct position and I can't see any way to relieve that. (I should note this is only an issue during manual locking, which will rarely be used.)

-Jason

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  8. Jan 20, 2015 at 10:32 AM
    808TAC2012

808TAC2012 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NorthShore / Red Raider Country
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD Sport
    18" FN Wheels, Bakflip bed cover, NFAB Bars, 6000K HID Headlights and 6000K HIDFogs, Ceramic tint.
    Can you program your spare key as well? It would suck that you cannot program a spare!!!

9. Jan 21, 2015 at 8:30 AM
    canuck guy

canuck guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    23TRDOR
    It is a mechanical "program" so once you do one, all similar keys work.

10. Nov 12, 2015 at 10:14 AM
    GuitarAl

GuitarAl Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Access Cab TRD Sport
    U.S. MARINE - No better friend. No worse enemy.

Thank You for your service Josh! I was always glad to give you guys a ride.

Taco15'prerunnerV6 likes this.
  11. Apr 5, 2016 at 6:36 AM
    Bobcape

Bobcape Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Black Hills, SD
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB SR-5
    Update - I installed mine Jan 2014. I don't open the tailgate often in the winter, maybe several weeks interval. This weekend I loaded my drone and other goodies in the bed and closed the FlipBak and locked the tailgate. When I got to my destination the handle actuator mechanism broke and would no longer open my tailgate. It was not jammed, it felt like normal when I tried to open it, it just popped. I had to turn around and head back home. It took a quite a while to get into the FlipBak without trashing it. Then I unscrewed the tailgate panel and had to remove the molding piece on the top of the tailgate to get the panel out of the way. I got it opened up and it was easy to see where the latch actuator broke. I put my OEM handle back on, had to remember to reverse the left rod. After seeing how much stress the design puts on the small plastic piece, I'm not going to put another Pop N Lock in. Not sure if I'll replace the OEM one or not.

Bob

12. Apr 5, 2016 at 6:48 AM
    Crimsonfurious

Crimsonfurious Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma XP
    I installed my pop n lock with camera hole and everything installed really easily. i agree it does require more of a tug than OEM however it definitely serves its purpose as i also have a tonneau. i usually only carry strollers and the like so if you're hell bent on breaking my tailgate to get that stuff, go for it!

13. Apr 5, 2017 at 3:41 PM
    Soul Surfer

Soul Surfer J!m! Was Last Seen: Roam in’ Around…

Member:
    First Name:
    J!M!
    West Central Florida Coast
To Top