1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

axle seal TSB?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Logger, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Jul 4, 2014 at 11:56 AM
    Logger

Logger [OP] out for a rip are ya bud?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD OR Crew Cab
    First, I did use the search function, so don't light me up! Is there an axle seal TSB for 2004 Tacomas with abs? I'm noticing this is a common issue, mine's leaving a drop on the driveway! Thanks

2. Jul 4, 2014 at 9:26 PM
    tacomataco2

tacomataco2 A dude

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    15’ ACLB
    Some of this Some of that
    pretty sure no…. parts do fail over time.. how many miles? and you should look into this is, if it is an axle seal your brake shoes will become contaminated and put you in a river of shit [​IMG]

3. Jul 5, 2014 at 8:14 AM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    There was an improved seal for the Taco rear some time around 02. Your 04 should have it from the factory. They do wear out and can fail/leak for other several other reasons such as a plugged diff breather, bad bearing or bent axle.
    The only TSB I know of regarding the new seal is more about the installation.
    Here it be. It is poorly worded, the years/models affected are off, the drawings of the seals are not even close and the little drawing of the "installation" is of an outer seal not the subject inner seal (dated 03).
    SEALTSB1_zps888b82f5_09576deeef2d75d440a9426d638628726fbb3d55.jpg
    SEALTSB2_zpsb177875a_6d69ef63ee617ad80467f79d1fa0f813fbf886ca.jpg

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  4. Jul 5, 2014 at 7:59 PM
    Logger

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD OR Crew Cab
    That installation TSB is the exact conformation I was looking for. My truck has 115k on it. I know the seal is bad, as there is diff oil all over the inside of the brake drum and running down the back of the wheel. I've been sure to keep the differential oil topped off. It's on the shortlist for repair. The brakes feel like chit when I stop. thanks for the info.

5. Nov 3, 2014 at 2:46 PM
    eric n.

eric n. New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    eric
    colorado springs, colo
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma 4x4
    my right rear axle seal went out on my 98 tacoma TRD. axle is now growling. would it be better to try and fix the seals and replace the axle or replace the whole rear end? I have a elock, gear ratio is 4:11

6. Nov 3, 2014 at 3:45 PM
    Logger

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD OR Crew Cab
    Hi Eric, welcome to TW!

I would suspect that your wheel bearing is toast if it's growling or humming. I would replace the seal and bearing, but be sure to inspect the axle for unusual wear. It is possible that the bearing failed and heated up the seal causing it to leak.

The shop that did my seal either bunged up the seal or didn't visually inspect my axle properly cause it's leaking again!

In the mean time check your fluid level and top off as needed until you can get it repaired.

7. Nov 4, 2014 at 12:37 PM
    brs127s

brs127s Well-Known Member

Member:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Vehicle:
    04 D-Cab 4x4 Limited TRD
    TRD Headers, Aero Turbine AT2525XL Deckplate Mod, TRD tranny cooler, King Coilovers, LR UCAs, Alcan 5 Leaf springs and Bilstein 5100s, Shrockworks front bumper, CBI rear bumper.
    My driver's side seal has been leaking for some time. Just enough to get it damp where the axle comes out the outer seal. Never enough to drip on the brake shoes though. I just fixed it last weekend. I went and and did seals and bearings in the whole axle. I have ABS, which sucks, as it means more money for parts. Anyway, I pulled everything apart myself and had my local dealer do the press work. Got it all back to together and am now having issues with the right rear ABS sensor. I just started a thread about that. Hoping to find and easy fix before I have to take it into the dealer.

Products Discussed in

To Top