1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Check Engine Light Problems - Discontinued Parts

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Will Prerunner, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Jul 7, 2014 at 8:13 PM
    Will Prerunner

Will Prerunner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tempe Az
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD Prerunner Doublecab
    Trail-Gear rock sliders, OME Lift, kobalt tool box, herculined fender flares, CrossFab light bar, Deck plate Mod, Differential Breather Extension, 32"goodyear duratracs Pioneer 3 way speakers, alpine head unit, Boss Bass 600 sub, custom az pinstriping
    I recently had the check engine light pop on and my truck was throwing a couple of codes. Took it down to the local dealer and was told it is the vapor pressure sensor $450 to replace. Took a look at the sensor and it is just plug n-play so I told them I would think about it. After spending an hour looking for one on ebay, craigslist and calling up a couple local junk yards with no luck I called the dealer up and set up an appointment to get it replaced. The day before my appointment the dealer called me and the vapor pressure sensor is discontinued and no longer available from Toyota and I'm SOL.

Anybody have an idea where I can purchase on of these bad boys?

Part # 89460-04020 Sensor Assy, Vapor Pressure

[​IMG]

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Jul 7, 2014 at 8:16 PM
    tomtom

tomtom Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Desert SW
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ
  3. Jul 7, 2014 at 8:30 PM
    Will Prerunner

Member:
    Tempe Az
    Vehicle:
    Trail-Gear rock sliders, OME Lift, kobalt tool box, herculined fender flares, CrossFab light bar, Deck plate Mod, Differential Breather Extension, 32"goodyear duratracs Pioneer 3 way speakers, alpine head unit, Boss Bass 600 sub, custom az pinstriping
    I called about the first three pages worth of places that pop up when I Google the part number and have a working phone number hoping somebody had one and no luck they all tell me it is discontinued or no longer available. Even searched several of the cross interchange parts listed on the site you linked with no luck.

4. Jul 18, 2014 at 5:46 PM
    Will Prerunner

Member:
    Tempe Az
    Vehicle:
    To follow up on the fix in case anybody else has the same issue.

My first step was to pass emissions. I did a little research and based on the year of my vehicle in Maricopa County you can have 1 system reading "Not Ready" and still pass emissions. I bought a cheap code reader on Amazon and cleared the codes. The EVAP system is one of the most difficult systems to get "Ready" for emissions and has a complex drive cycle but to make sure the EVAP system wasn't "Ready" I avoided driving at a steady speed for more than a few seconds which prevents the O2 response, air Intrusive, EGR, Purge, Misfire, and Fuel Trim diagnostics from being performed. After all systems except the EVAP system were "Ready" I was able to pass emissions. I still did not want the CEL on forever so I asked around and a friend of a friend who is a mechanic told me that several Toyota and Lexus vehicles use the exact same VPS even though the model numbers are different. I picked up a VPS for a Camry for $30 bucks on ebay and fixed the issue.:D

For reference the codes I was throwing were P0441 & P0450

5. Jul 18, 2014 at 6:31 PM
    tomtom

tomtom Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Desert SW
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ
    Nice!

6. Jul 20, 2014 at 6:29 PM
    skeezix

skeezix Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1998 Limited
    Glad you found a replacement. Good work!

7. Oct 8, 2014 at 12:15 PM
    BigMike64

BigMike64 New Member

Member:
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma SR5

bsouvannarath likes this.
  8. Oct 8, 2014 at 7:59 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6

9. Jul 21, 2016 at 11:44 AM
    TrumpetMan

TrumpetMan San Diego Chargers Fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Lake Elsinore California
    Vehicle:
    2000 White Tacoma TRD Extended Cab 2WD Automatic 3.4L V6
    None.
    I just went through this same thing with my truck (2000 3.4L V6 Prerunner TRD extended cab/auto/California).

My California smog was due in a few days and the dealership is telling me "no joy" the smog part is "discontinued" and "not available aftermarket." This was not very good news to hear of course.

My vapor pressure sensor was bad (Delco USA "Vapor Press Toyota" Part #86460-0410-01193) and indeed no one sold this part except the recyclers and even this was hard to track down.

I ended up using the same vapor pressure sensor off a 2000 Tundra (Denso Part # 89460-0C010) and ordered it online for $115.00 on Ebay. It works. All you need to do is swap the vapor pressure sensors by sliding them off and reusing your own bracket and you are done. I just passed California smog today. Took 200 miles for the truck's computer to do all drive cycle tests with the EVAP test being the last one. I hope this helps the next person.

Products Discussed in

To Top