1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2014 XSP-X Out the Door? & Options?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jamesbnp, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Jul 11, 2014 at 5:57 PM
    o0oSHADOWo0o

o0oSHADOWo0o Just lurking in the darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shadow
    Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab Short Bed 4x4 TRD Sport
    Just a few LEDs...
    The funny thing is, I didn't really need a 4x4 but was willing to pay for it if it came on a truck with all of the other features I wanted.

You guys should seriously do some research online. When I bought my truck 2 years ago, I had not purchased a new vehicle in 11 years. The dealers "cost" was only like $2000 below the MSRP. This seemed really strange to me. This is what got me thinking.

It is true that different vehicles will sell differently in different regions. KBB and Edmunds will give you an idea of what others in your area are paying for similar trucks and what a fair price for a particular vehicle would be in your area.

Also think about surrounding cities, even if they are 100+ miles away. you can use each one these sites to get quotes from at least 3 dealers. This is exactly what I did, and while the first vehicle I was quoted on wasn't exactly what I was looking for, It did help me make a more refined list of what I had to have, what I was willing to do without and what I was willing to pay extra for if it cam with the truck.

Do a little research and it might just pay off. Dealers are in business to take your money. The more of it you keep, the better it is for you. :D

2. Jul 11, 2014 at 6:04 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    Oh trust me I did exactly that. And regardless, they still won't budge on price, because, as I said, what is the point in bending to the offer of one customer, when the next one who walks in a few minutes later will take it without much haggling.

I actually took the Edmunds pricing for my area and the dealer settled on it without a problem and even took about $100 off of that. -TTL it was somewhere around 30.5k if I recall. Based on the 2013 buyers thread, I fell within what others were paying. I probably could have gotten a few more quotes and done the whole dealer offer battle thing and it could have given me a few more $ off.

Some dealers around here are complete jackoffs as well. Charging bullshit "dealer" fees of $500-800 for whatever the hell they write it off as, which they told me was for some "special" anti-theft etching crap. No thanks, which is how I ended up with the dealer I ended up buying from, who was conveniently 5 minutes from my college dorm which made first 25k service painless.

3. Jul 11, 2014 at 6:28 PM
    stan23

stan23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    stan
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    The best rule of thumb is the OTD price you pay is close to the number on the sticker.

4. Jul 11, 2014 at 8:39 PM
    o0oSHADOWo0o

o0oSHADOWo0o Just lurking in the darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shadow
    Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab Short Bed 4x4 TRD Sport
    Just a few LEDs...
    Dude...not even close.

The sticker price (MSRP)on my 2012 4x4 TRD Sport Double Cab was at least $35,000. Probably a few hundred more. My out the door price was $30,096 This included tax, tags, etc... Now that I think about it, I probably saved MORE than $1,200.

Feel free to pay more if you like, but I happen to like my money :D

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  5. Jul 11, 2014 at 8:53 PM
    JPS11

JPS11 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Melbourne, FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prerunner DC TRD OR Black
    This is a good rule if you exclude the port installed options and make them include the platinum 7 year or so warranty.

The problem with SouthEastToyota is that they include all kinds of port installed options (so they say) that raise the MSRP by $$$$. I would not pay $995 for paint sealant and nitrogen tires. Especially after they already want to charge you $700 for roadside asistance, rental, towing, vin etch, paint sealant (again!), oil change (already included in Toyota Care) and toyoguard kit (wax). Then they try to hit you with $200 for clear paint protection! WTF!

They good thing about Tampa is there are a bunch of dealers in your area. Make them pay for your business. They are all selling the same trucks that are coming in to the area. Figure out the invoice price with the factory installed options you want and go from there.

I got a phone call years ago from the Clearwater Toyota sales manager calling me all kinds of names after I bought my 1999 white AC Prerunner (White Tony Stewart model with sun roof, loved that truck) from Brandon Toyota. But hey, $1,000 is better in my pocket than his!

20140509_090427_resized.jpg
    20140509_090425_resized.jpg

6. Jul 11, 2014 at 9:47 PM
    stan23

stan23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    stan
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    That's just a general rule of thumb. Obviously every state has different tax rates, and some dealers may want to dump a truck due to low demand/strange color, etc..

You got a good price on your truck, so congrats on that!

By sticker price, I mean the Toyota sticker price. I hate and will never accept dealer added options. At my local dealer, they put aftermarket leather on like 80% of their Tacomas so they can mark it up. I would never buy something like that.

7. Jul 21, 2014 at 8:31 AM
    IndianaTaco

IndianaTaco New Member

Member:
    Franklin Ind
    Vehicle:
    Big Red Turd (Baja)
    By looking at KBB, Edmonds, or, recommend Truecar pricing.... with the specs you want on the vehicle. You can determine. factory invoice and average price paid. Currently 500 ad allowance. So you might be able to buy 500 under invoice, and simply negotiate your trade in.
    Day 1.. I did not do research. Everybody wanted MSRP and lowball trade.
    Day 2.. went through Truecar... had 3 dealers chasing me. 2 at invoice, 1 at 500 under. Moral of story... Do your research or you will get slaughtered.

8. Jul 21, 2014 at 8:39 AM
    WThomas1250

WThomas1250 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Definitely use TrueCar. I have USAA insurance and their buying service is basically the same thing as TrueCar. The salespeople have always matched the USAA prices for me.

9. Jul 21, 2014 at 8:44 AM
    miniceptor86

miniceptor86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    McGregor,IA
    Vehicle:
    07 Speedway Blue Prerunner Dbl cab
    TRD sport exhaust and cold air intake, nerf and bull bar, RideRide, ProEFX towing mirrors, BakFlip F1 trifold tonneau
    Not relevant but just FYI I priced three Tacomas last month in Iowa and Wisconsin and they all gave a discount off MSRP from 4.9 to 5.1 %. Just what the sales tax is here in Iowa. I didn't buy.

Products Discussed in

To Top