1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Back-up camera install on a base 2014.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Negatetime, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Feb 4, 2014 at 3:55 PM
    samsquamch1981

samsquamch1981 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    i found out that mine is not 100% wired for a camera because there's a plug that has to be plugged in behind the radio unit.. The camera harness has 4 wires and the harness that it connects to has 2 wires i was told....I just had an alarm and starter installed...He said he could do a camera installed for around 150....I'm gonna pay him to do it...Cheaper than me buying all the parts and figure out the installation anyways...

2. Feb 4, 2014 at 4:02 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
  3. Apr 22, 2014 at 10:54 PM
    splitsecond

splitsecond Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Manoa
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR PreRunner 4dr
    Just installed an oem camera that I bought on eBay for $250. Was plug and play, everything is prewired. Other sites online sell it for $400ish or the dealer has it for $750

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Apr 23, 2014 at 4:22 AM
    Frobozz

Frobozz Well-Known Member

Member:
    North of Ordinary
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD/OR Access Blue Ribbon Metallic
    Tonneau, Canoe Rack
  5. Apr 29, 2014 at 2:24 PM
    MidwestGreen

MidwestGreen Member

Member:
    Both OEM camera pictures are here:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/325991-2014-backup-camera-2.html#post8586981

The harness changed.

Note that the older version, 86790-04010, which I know works in an 09, has four prongs in the harness connector, and it has five little slots all the way around the harness perimeter.

The newer version, 86790-04020, which was successfully used on this board in a plug an play works on a 2014. This harness connector has 6 prongs, and more of a bottom clip.

6. May 14, 2014 at 6:26 AM
    Cloudbreakmd

Cloudbreakmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bethesda, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB 4X4 V6 SR5 Blazing Blue Pearl
    Bed Mat, Factory chromed exhaust tip, Factory all weather mats

When you say prewired, did you simply change the the tailgate handle and plug in the camera or did you have to remove the in dash stereo?

Thanks.

7. May 15, 2014 at 4:16 PM
    MidwestGreen

MidwestGreen Member

Member:
  8. May 15, 2014 at 4:34 PM
    Cloudbreakmd

Cloudbreakmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bethesda, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB 4X4 V6 SR5 Blazing Blue Pearl
    Bed Mat, Factory chromed exhaust tip, Factory all weather mats
    Thank you!

9. May 30, 2014 at 9:17 AM
    samsquamch1981

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    i went ahead and pulled the trigger on a camera from camera source that will fit into my pop-n-lock tailgate latch. I just hope i'm not missing the wire that hooks up to the hu. No one knows if these trucks are 100% prewired or not....even toyota...most do come all set, but there are rare trucks that are missing the hu connections....we'll see this weekend how my truck is...i'm hoping it's just plug and play, however i am always the one that gets the "rare" problems....

10. May 31, 2014 at 5:22 AM
    Frobozz

Member:
    North of Ordinary
    Vehicle:
    Tonneau, Canoe Rack
    Good luck, and let us know. It was such an easy install, that even I could do it. ;)

11. Jun 1, 2014 at 5:52 PM
    samsquamch1981

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    unfortunately my 14 was wired at the tailgate, but not to the radio...i ended up having to order the wiring interface to run to my radio now from camera source. we'll see how that goes...running cables and tapping into harnesses always makes me nervous...plus now i have to rip the dash apart as well...i may just bring all the parts to an auto place and have them install it if the directions seem daunting....the plug-and-play I thought it was going to be was supposed to be easy now turned into a major project.

12. Jun 2, 2014 at 6:42 PM
    nrsource19

nrsource19 Member

Member:
    The RVCTY-71T is a"Plug & connect" type unit:

Product listed as RVCTY-71T on this Page: http://cruxinterfacing.com/products.php

13. Jun 17, 2014 at 9:41 AM
    camerasource

camerasource New Member

Member:
    Indeed some 2014 Tacomas are prewired and some are not. So far we have found that all of them have the 4 wire luggage harness in the tailgate but oddly only a certain percentage actually continue the 4 wires all the way to the cab.

In short, to check that you are prewired simply look at the connector behind the rear bumper to see if there are 4 wires heading toward the cab. This would be the connector you would disconnect if removing your tailgate. If there is only 1 wire heading toward the cab you are not prewired and will need a radio interface harness. Again, all of them have 4 wires going into the tailgate but only some have all four wires going toward the cab. It's strange they would even waste the money installing a luggage harness when 3 of the wires don't go anywhere!

So here are the two options available at camera-source based on the options above:

• If you are prewired (4 wires heading toward the cab) there is a kit that will plug right into the frame rail connector. Takes 10 minutes to install and rivals the $700 factory camera in terms of overall construction and picture quality. You can get just the camera or have it bundled with a Pop and Lock tailgate handle.
    • If you are not prewired (only 1 wire going toward the cab) you need to select the full harness option. This kit comes with the same camera config, a full chassis harness, a Toyota radio plug and play camera interface harness, and a reverse trigger wire. You will then route the harness to the cab going through the floor at an existing grommet (no drilling). Remove the radio from the dash (video on youtube), which is not as hard as it sounds. Plug in the Toyota radio interface harness which supplies power, ground, and video connection from the camera. Then insert the reverse trigger wire into pin 2 of the main radio harness, with the other end tapped into the specified reverse trigger wire on the vehicle harness. This wire flips the radio into camera mode when you go to reverse. Everything here is plug and play with the exception of one splice that is required to tap into reverse activated power. Use a t-tap for this and no cutting involved.

Most DIY'ers can tackle this project with ease since no special tools are required, especially the pre-wired version because it simply plugs right in!

ancient11 likes this.
  14. Jul 14, 2014 at 11:51 AM
    ScarecrowPA

ScarecrowPA New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Something that wasn't obvious to me at first, you need to pry open the plastic wire protector and see how many wires there are on the truck side of that connector. I missed this post the first time around and thought my 2014 Tacoma was pre-wired, but it isn't. So now I have a lovely new OEM camera that still doesn't work.

Does anyone sell a harness to work with the OEM camera for the one-wire guys like me? Ideally it will have the radio connector, the T-splice for the reverse switch, and mate with the tailgate harness connector at the back end, leaving the original one-wire connector abandoned in place.

Thanks in advance, fingers crossed.

one_wire-800.jpg

15. Sep 7, 2014 at 10:45 AM
    AFX

AFX Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    I'm looking into installing this myself if its possible. I have a 2014 base model access cab.

I popped off the tail gate, looks like that part is all set (just missing the camera. I checked underneith the truck and the tail gate is plugged into the main set of wires leading up to the cab. I couldn't get a picture of it but there are a few wires running away from that connector.

i popped open the change compartment and noticed a single connector just sitting there... so is it safe to say all I need is the camera at this point or do I need to run a set of wires to the cab?

10660687_10204690307161572_286062712_n.jpg
    10695382_10204690307241574_2144396085_n.jpg
    10668546_10204690307841589_921426207_n.jpg

16. Sep 10, 2014 at 10:43 AM
    moconst

moconst Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Nor Cali
    Vehicle:
    2014 tacoma prerunner dbl cab I4
    looks like your good to go. just make sure there is 4 wires coming out of that plug behind your bumper.

17. Sep 10, 2014 at 11:44 AM
    PeteInPG

PeteInPG New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Vehicle:
    '14 Base Model
    I've got the base model 2014 and checked my wiring to that connector at the rear handle. Although it shows four wires coming into that connector, I traced the wiring back to the truck and see that there are is only one wire following back to the cab. I also pulled the radio to see if there was the connector there just to prove it to myself. Alas, I'm not prewired.

I ended up ordering the camera from camera source and will install it next week. I'll post my results when I'm finished.

18. Sep 11, 2014 at 4:37 AM
    Frobozz

Member:
    North of Ordinary
    Vehicle:
    Tonneau, Canoe Rack
    My 2014 AC came with the 'Convenience Package' and was wired from radio to tailgate latch, just no camera. Popped in a Camera Source cam w/popnlock. Works great.

19. Sep 14, 2014 at 11:38 AM
    AFX

AFX Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    like I said, I got under the truck before and it appears to have 4 wires in the conduit (if you can call it that) headed up towards the cab. I just couldn't hold it open and snap a picture... where can I buy just the camera and/or locking tailgate handle? I found one on Amazon but I'm not sure its what I need.

20. Jul 11, 2015 at 6:31 PM
    B100BOB

B100BOB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    New Windsor, MD
    Vehicle:
    2014 Silver Sky Tacoma DCSB
    Thanks for a good read on back-up cameras. I hope I am not beating a dead horse here, but I am new to the world of Tacoma's. I am currently looking to purchase one of two Certified Pre-Owned units that I have been looking at. One is a 2013, double cab 4x4, described as a CP by the dealer. The other is a 2014 version of the same. Neither is equipped with a back-up camera, but both have touch-screen displays. So, since I have come to this party late, I have tried to digest all that I have read here.

Anyway, I think I have determined that-
    1. If I look under the truck and see a cable harness with four wires going from the tailgate to the cab, it should be pre-wired.
    2. If I pull the touch-screen display/radio, there should be a harness that is plugged into or there may be one ready to be plugged into the back of the display/radio.
    3. If the harness can't be plugged in, there is an after-market adapter available.
    4. A simple camera such as some seen on eBay is easily installed into the tailgate after removing a blank on the right side of the handle.

If all goes well, this should be all I have to do...correct? There is no other programming needed on the display? Placing the shifter into reverse activates it all?

Thanks in advance, and I apologize if this question has been once again been asked one too many times.

FYI, I belong to another forum for owners, collectors and restorers of Wheel Horse garden tractors, and it's funny how often the question of "what is the correct color red paint to use on a Wheel Horse" gets asked.

Products Discussed in

To Top