1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can't shift out of Park (even with Override) - Park Lock Solenoid Failed

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cdn_bacon, May 10, 2014.

1. May 26, 2014 at 2:11 PM
    cdn_bacon

cdn_bacon [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Dbl Cab short box 4x4 TRD
    Slim's HID 6000k headlights and fog lights; Redline hood and tailgate struts, TRD CAI
    I think I may have jumped to victory too soon. I installed the new shift Assy. and it worked without a hitch for about a week. In the last 3 days its started doing the same thing... it won't let me shift out of park. Thankfully the new assy. will let me release out of park using the override button next to the shifter (the old unit wouldn't allow it).

Its got to be the brake switch not sending signal to the solenoid. Its the only thing I can think of however the brake lights do work and Toyota checked it when I had it in and they said it worked. I'm really at a loss..... I may just order a new switch and change it out.

Thoughts?

2. May 26, 2014 at 5:20 PM
    over60

over60 Over70 & still a "Grumpy Old Guy"

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno (Punkin) TRD 4X4 Sport DCLB w/upgrade & tech pkg..!!
    Toyota running boards/Solid Fold 2.0/custom stickers/Anti-Dark LED light under hood/Derped grill/Scoop, etc.
    Oh, shit... I'd replace the brake light switch and make sure it's working right...

Good luck man..

3. Jul 14, 2014 at 5:37 AM
    OKJC

OKJC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    NWArkansas
    Vehicle:
    '10 SC 4x4 TRD Sport
    Any update on this? I'm facing the same issue and gearcruncher linked me here. My fuses are all fine, and mine only does it some of the time. A week will go by with no issue and then it will sporadically happen or happen every single time for a day. Very frustrating. I can sit there and restarting my truck over and over until it works but yesterday I started forcing it like you were.

4. Jul 14, 2014 at 5:45 AM
    cdn_bacon

cdn_bacon [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Dbl Cab short box 4x4 TRD
    Slim's HID 6000k headlights and fog lights; Redline hood and tailgate struts, TRD CAI
    Funny you mention this. I changed out my shifter assy and it worked perfectly.... For a while. Now it is like yours, sparatically working or not working. I thought it was maybe a buggy brake switch however I am having power issues to my 12v cig power sockets now. Again, sparatic. I think the truck is full of gremlins... So ready to get rid of the truck but still waiting for the new 2015 F150s to come out. (Come on Oct).

5. Jul 14, 2014 at 11:28 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Agree with Door ding here . Notice how he highlighted grounds and 12 volt power issues .
    At this point you have a needle in a haystack . Time to get into a wiring schematic and start checking the resistance of each wire in the circuit . The fact that no fuses are blown indicates that the circuit is still working but there may be a frayed wire or bad connection .
    Here is the diagnostic and the circuits you need to check including the resistance values .
    Before checking the resistance values , I would be looking at the easily accsessible variables first such as any connector where corrosion can occur

http://www.customtacos.com/tech.old...6toyrm/06toypdf/06rmsrc/rm2006ta/02700810.pdf

6. Jul 14, 2014 at 12:24 PM
    Canufixit

Canufixit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    People ask me "CANUFIXIT"!
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    "Access" Tonneau cover. Bed Mat. Hitch, Timbren SES
    That should be OK. IT's best to find the problem - but sometimes it's just not worth it. Many times I have a known open in a wire and rather than find the exact point and fix it - it's easier to just add a new wire. However, Just I case I'd use the largest wire AWG you can just in case this wire DOES act as a return path for other circuits due to other faulty grounds to the tranny/drivetrain.

7. Jul 14, 2014 at 2:50 PM
    Canufixit

Canufixit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    People ask me "CANUFIXIT"!
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    "Access" Tonneau cover. Bed Mat. Hitch, Timbren SES
    I'd just consider it as an extra ground strap from the frame to the drivetrain. You can always use more than one wire to be safe if you don't have a big awg.

I'd probably go a parts store and get a hefty braded ground strap as it will take the flexing better on the drivetrain.

8. Jul 14, 2014 at 5:15 PM
    TacoLlama

TacoLlama Well-Known Member

Member:
    R.I.
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 DCSB
    Anyone have a proper schematic ?

Where is the main cab ground stud located ? Maybe front firewall.Definitely worth looking at.

Take a good look at the stop light switch and it's wiring.

The ecu provides the voltage through the wire in the the below diagram (e-8-15) sending power engaging the solenoid when hitting the brakes and unlocking the shifter.
    Unplug the 2 wire switch at the shift lock solenoid.Ignition off, using your multimeter on Ohms find a good ground for one lead and the ground terminal in the 2 wire connector for the other lead.You should hear a buzz or have a real low reading depending on your meter (my meter usually says 0.2).Next grab the ECM wire (e8-15) with one lead and the other terminal in the 2 wire connector the + one.You should have a similar reading.This is just testing the wires.If either reading is real high you either have a bad ground wire or your + signal wire is corroded or broken between the ecm and the solenoid.I think the ecm sends both signals but have no way to verify it.The common ecm ground is that (e-6 1 ).

ECM connector for brake switch test.

trans.jpg

Brake Switch Test

stop light.jpg

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  9. Mar 8, 2019 at 8:53 AM
    wmchenry02

wmchenry02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wil
    Vehicle: