1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bayrak's Build & Travel Log

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by bayrak, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Jul 15, 2014 at 10:02 AM
    bayrak

bayrak [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    White 2008 DCLB TRD Sport
    Coastal Offroad Armour, Flippac, Ion Alloy Ion Rims , 285 BFG Ko2, Next Level Audio System, Uniball UCA, FOX 2.5 CO's
    Hello TW! Welcome to the build thread of my 2008 DCLB TRD Sport
    IMG_4314.jpg

Instagram: The_Trail_Limo
    MODIFICATIONS

Armour

Front Suspension
    • Fox 2.5 Extended Travel Coilovers with 14" 700lb King Springs
    • Wheelers Superbumps (To be Installed)
    • Tuff Country Uniball UCA's
    • Radflo 2.0 Extended Travel Coilovers with 700lb Eibach Springs
    Rear Suspension
    • Deaver 10-Pack
    • Wheelers U-Bolt Flip Kit With Superbumps
    • Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks
    • 2" AAL
    Wheels

Engine
    • 1st Gen TRD CAI
    Recovery
    Lighting
    • 2 X 55W 4"x3" Spot Pods on Hood Brackets
    Interior
    Other
    • Flippac with Rainfly
    • Extended Break-lines from OCTaco (To be Installed**)
    • Dakine Tailgate Cover
    • OEM LED Taillight Swap
    • OEM Smoked Headlight Swap

Wanted Items
    • Toyota All Weather Flooring
    • Dual Battery
    • On-Board Pressurized Water (Hot and Cold)
    • On-Board Air
    • Skids
    • Lockers
    • Gears (4.88?)
    • 35's (or 37's)
    • Snorkel
    • 2+ LT in front & Glass
    • Exo Cage
    • Solar Setup
    • Diesel Swap
    • Fridge
    • More Lights
    • More Gear

Anyways, Ill Update this as my build progresses, subscribe for latest Trips, photos, videos, and more!

Thanks For Looking and any suggestions are greatly Appreciated!

Matt - Victoria BC

Some of My favorite Pictures:

IMG_20171011_194236_477.jpg

IMG_20170307_104650_744.jpg

above photo courtesy of http://www.christiantisdale.com/

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    Manfred likes this.
  2. Oct 16, 2015 at 4:42 PM
    bayrak

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    Coastal Offroad Armour, Flippac, Ion Alloy Ion Rims , 285 BFG Ko2, Next Level Audio System, Uniball UCA, FOX 2.5 CO's
    History up to October 2015 - this is a long post...

My love for tacomas started in 2010 when I was 14, when my friend Jered attained a 2005 silver tacoma. We went on a mountain bike trip, and this was the first vehicle I drove offroad alone (yes he was the first to trust me alone with a vehicle. It was supercharged).

When I turned 16, my parents had hinted I would be getting to be able to use a vehicle - I was stoked, thought it would be a surprise addition of a tacoma to the family - but instead was the old minivan... Now dont get my wrong, this thing worked well for shuttling as it was smooth as butter with the soft suspension, but it was still a soccer mom mobile and lasted me all the way through second year university....

An unfortunate event that happened when a friend was driving the silver bullet, with no injuries, led to the death of an era.........:itllbuffout:

And The Birth of a new!!! :bananadance:

My 92/93(?) carolla with 90,000 origional KM. This baby was loaded with blue suede seats, no A/C (riding shirtless for the summer), and built in manual hydraulics with the rear end and a failed inspection :rolleyes:

We Decided the thing needed a bit of a growl and power so we added a Custom CAI for the 2 months she had left on the road before going to the junk yard:sawzall:

:turtleride:

Since It couldnt Haul bikes, Had to use my dads 2003 gmc 1500 to shuttle bikes in the meantime

AND Finally, after months of searching, finally found my truck!!:yay:

It is a 2008 Alpine White DoubleCab TRD. I purchchased used with approx 170,000KM (I am a student) as my first vehicle. It came with an ARB bush Bumper, Kodiak 9,5000LB winch, 2" Revtek Spacer lift, seat covers, as well as Ion Alloy Rims.

My first trip was from Calgary, AB to Libby Montana

Somewhere in Croswnest Pass BC

I soon then packed up and headed out to Victoria BC!

Arrived in Victoria

I mostly Use this truck for shuttling while mountain biking!!!

First Mud! Mt. Prevost - Duncan, BC:mudding:

Then the snow came.....

So we decided to Pack out Bags, and a few buddies flew out to head over to Squamish

It was quite smoky here with the fires

But Cleared Up as the day progressed

So far I have really only changed the sound system to now include a DVD player, and a Phenix Gold Sound System with 2 x 10" Subs in custom made box by NextLevelAudio In Nanaimo, BC

Went Back to Calgary May 2014

Moose Mountain - June 2014

Silverstar Mountain Resort - Vernon, BC

Mt 7 In golden BC

Felx to the max

Mt. Swansea, Radium - BC - Our Record day with 13 Bikes. Started to get snowy near Lake Louise and in calgary. Tires are NOT good in snow

The Calgary weather took a told on the Rat Rack... * Note no tacoma's were harmed in the making of this media production

It was also on this trip that I hit a Milestone!!

Wheel Spacers in preparation for a little present...

My first big purchase - 285/70/17 Muteki Trail Hog Tires. They have the official winter rating, and my buddy was able to get me a really good deal! I wish I went bigger, but Went to play in the snow. Plastidipped the rims and posed in the snow.

Found a brother from another mother

Decided to test the tires out on icy highway from Calgary to Radium and frozen dirt at Swansea....... Buddy has the 265 version and has no lift for comparison

Mt. Swansea, Radium - BC - Feb 2015

Nelson a few weeks later

Kamloops, BC a few weeks following

I also got the Mod Bug before leaving out to the coast by parking by this beast....

3 days before my journey back I noticed something strange with my rear suspension... had a broken Leaf!! Was able to Pick a slightly used set and add my AAL into it and install them before heading out to the coast in May 2015

I think it was from hauling all these leaf's :rofl:

I then headed back out to the cost May 2015

To work on school stuff...

I also changed some belts

Changed the break Pads rotors, and driver hub/VC

I also Installed Tuff Country Uni-Ball UCA's

Old

New

And I have since been on some travels!

Mt. Tolmie - Victoria, BC - Summer 2015

Jordan River

Went for a quick trip home to Calgary to see the family.

Moose Mountain - Bragg Creek, Alberta - August 2015

Sooke Potholes - Vancouver Island, BC - Sepember

Jordan River - September 2015

And now I just intimidate others while parking....

And help people Move

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    Manfred and DavesTaco68 like this.
  3. Oct 16, 2015 at 6:30 PM
    MarcoSTEEZ

MarcoSTEEZ Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marco
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    TRD OffRoad 4x4
    stock as balls
    i like where this is going..

4. Oct 18, 2015 at 3:00 AM
    bayrak

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    Lake Cowachin Trip - September 2015

A short While ago, Shane (A local to the area) offered to take me an a few friends out to check out some areas by Lake Cowichan. The access was off a cut off under the power lines. We checked out various camping spots near the river, as this area is popular for recreation enthusiasts. We also saw a recent fire, which looks like it could have started from a vehicle (vehicle was burned as well - This was right under the powerlines.... I know Shane has the GPS Route for the majority of these, but I must say having him show us around was a major help as this allowed us to avoid some technical features, and helps us not get lost in all the winding roads that are present here. He also took us up to a viewpoint at the top of a logging clear-cut.

The access is up the back way and through an older "stump" forest from previous logging activity. Shane flew this area where I slowly creeped behind. I did not have sliders at this point, so I was pretty nervous.:turtleride:

http://www.christiantisdale.com/

This was likely the most technical strip of trail I have ever ridden before .We didn't take too many photos as we were looking at trying out Video (coming soon), but here are a few snapped while up there (more soon)

[​IMG]

http://www.christiantisdale.com/

We camped the night by the river, in a spot recently affected by a mudslide. The drainage ditches on the old access roads were likely to blame.

The next day pushed on to Mt. Prevost and Labour Day Lake Near Nanimo (See Post TBA)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  5. Oct 18, 2015 at 3:07 AM
    bayrak

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    Was playing around with some free online CAD softwear today trying to think of designs for a rear HC Bumper with swing out. I know on my last trip near lake cowichan I found myself hitting the trailer hitch quite a bit.

I started with Shmellmopwho's thread for reference, but decided I wanted to also have a Dual Swing Out, along with Dual Tables for additional space for cooking. I still need to add the Jerry Can holder onto the swingout which currently only has. This also shows a 35" tire to scale almost, and both of the tables fit underneath. The tire also does not extend past the vertical line made with the tailgate to allow for a topper to be added as well. Any Suggestions are Greatly Appreciated!!!

Color notes:

Black - This is a 69" 4x4 Square tube. The bottom side will be cut to allow for the angles shown. Its has 2 indents - the first is a 2" drop by 2" indent towards the center from the corners. From here the final indent drops the other 2 inches, but indents another 1.5 feet

Grey - 2" Square tube

Light Blue - this will be my table top surfaces. Im thinking aluminium to save weight and they will be on hinges. The table which is on the swingout without the tire will have slots cut out in it to allow the shown added support for the tire holder (still need to add more support I know). The size of the eating surfaces will be roughly 18" (tire side) and 22" (other) so thy dont go higher then the tailgate

Tan - This will be material used to help support tire carrier, as well as the plating used on the side once the fenders are cut off. not sure on thinkness yet.....

Light green - these little triangles will be used as supports for the table

Light Red - This will be my recovery points. Planning on doing it like in the one references.

Dark Green - Standard 2" hitch receiver

Brown - This L shaped Bar will be the main support for the second table / jerrycan holder, and the L design should tuck nicely under the 2x2 tire support and about the 4x4 main part. I think I will need to modify it a bit on hit its mounting to clear the 2"tube fully.

Side view With Tire swingout table supports shown

:welder::notsure:

Im hoping the dimensions work to somehow make it where the tire mounts mount in different positions to allow a sled deck position...

I also started to make some Benson X Tool / Hi-Lift mounts to attach the the rails in the bed. Should have 3 sets of each after I'm done (only half shown) for extras for friends.

Wanted to eliminate this :

Also got some Extended break lines

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  6. Oct 18, 2015 at 3:07 AM
    bayrak

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    Moose Mountain, Bragg Creek, Alberta

As many of you know, I am an avid mountainbiker, and part of the reason I got a tacoma was to help me shuttle me an my friends. So i figured I would share some info for other bike fans here on tacomaworld! Moose if one of the first places I learned to ride, and its super close to my home town. Recently, MMBTS has formed here, and the hill now features an abundance of LEGAL mountain bike trails. Here are some of the various trips Ive done, as well as a showcase of some of the trail here in case you are planning a multi purpose trip in the Calgary area sometime soon!

This is the road the war wagon/ silver bullet bit the dust. Please drive safe!!

Moose Mountain - June 2014

August 2015

There are a variety of trails here, ranging from XC to full DH. I personally only have a DH Bike so only do the DH/ Freeride Trails

T-Dub

Short for "that whore", T-Dub was an origional trail on moose mountain. If origionally went down a gnarly rock gully and thrilled gnar junkies from all around.

Here is a video I shot back in 2010 when I had a separated shoulder of the trail. Please turn the volume low... im sorry for the bad song choice....

Afters Calgarys extensive floods in _____, this part of the trial got destroyed.

Thankfully, due to MMBTS, and a tremendous amount of voulenteer support, T-Dub is back up and running, with a major face lift. Is is now an awesome flow trail!!!

New flow

Still old Knar

Jean Guy

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  7. Oct 19, 2015 at 12:37 PM
    bayrak

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    An early Birthday Present should be on its way shortly.......... Stay tuned for DIY rebuild/facelift for both these and my Walker Evans Rear Shocks!

Will be taking suggestions to possible color combinations (IE front coils)! Has anyone done green before?

For Leaf Pack:

In order from top to bottom spring:

49"
    44"
    40"

& 35" if you want to squeeze a 4th spring in there

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  8. Oct 20, 2015 at 8:39 AM
    Wasatch

Wasatch Well-Known Member

Member:
    As I am also one who likes to put 6-8 bikes into a truck that only has 4 seats... I like where this is going.

Cheers.

9. Oct 20, 2015 at 8:54 AM
    ChamYota

ChamYota Crash Bandicoot Or Groot AKA Cham "Scottalot" Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    05' Taco 4x4 swapped/ 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
    :spy: nice build! :popcorn: for trip reports

10. Jan 13, 2016 at 12:15 AM
    bayrak

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    Trip reports have been lacking as its been since last time i drove her was early dec before i noticed the cracked LCA and installed the coilovers... hopefully soon once I get the spanner wrench to adjust coilovers, an alignment then can get to some new spots..something

Although I rented a U-haul and picked up a topper!!!

IMG_3537.jpg IMG_3538.jpg
    IMG_3539.jpg IMG_3540.jpg IMG_3541.jpg

Matt's truvk edit.jpg

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  11. Apr 28, 2016 at 11:21 PM
    bayrak

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    Got my bolt-on sliders installed

And then drove back to calgary the next day.

Where i spent a bit of time doing work on houses, broke my camera, and found cool parking spots

20160726_194255.jpg 20160726_194306.jpg
    20160726_194318.jpg 20160726_194324.jpg

My buddy also had some private land so I took him for a drive.

received_10154037737728819.jpg received_10154037737688819.jpg received_10154037737353819.jpg

Nimble9 likes this.
  12. Feb 7, 2017 at 12:17 PM
    bayrak

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    While in calgary I did a few trips down to montana

IMG_5428.jpg IMG_5430.jpg

Libbt MT.jpg

Somewhere along Highway 22
    IMG_5463(1).jpg

IMG_5470.jpg

I packed up and headed back to victoria bc

Mt. Prevost Duncan
    20161126_150337.jpg

Added some lights

20170109_155608.jpg 20170109_155804.jpg

Got a Leer DCC Camper and installed my ditch lights

20170127_155732.jpg 20170205_121253.jpg 20170205_121255.jpg 20170205_121308.jpg 20170205_121319.jpg

Then I saw a deal on craigslist that I couldnt pass up so I made a day trip over to Vancouver and picked up a flippac. It was basically new.

20170205_195232.jpg

Got some snow and tested out the flippac. Closing it by myself in the wind proved to be a challenge, and ended up getting someones help in exchange for letting them use my tred recovery ramps to get off a patch of ice where he parked.

DavesTaco68 likes this.
  13. Feb 7, 2017 at 12:59 PM
    Pirhett

Pirhett Instagram @pirhett_ship

Member:
    First Name:
    Rhett
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB MGM
    Stock...
    so jeli of that flip pack!

14. Feb 7, 2017 at 2:08 PM
    bayrak

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:

Was defiantly worth the 8 hour, 2 ferry ride journey to pick it up! Was close to picking up a RTT but then this popped up and figured it would do better with the trails which cause the infamous BC Pinstripes (and rips). It needs a new Mattress and a light cleaning but other then that this thing is mint and included the Rainfly!

15. Feb 7, 2017 at 2:20 PM
    Pirhett

Pirhett Instagram @pirhett_ship

Member:
    First Name:
    Rhett
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB MGM
    Stock...
    mind me asking what you paid for it man?
    Been wanting one for a long time but always seem to be none available or way too pricey for brand new haha

16. Feb 7, 2017 at 2:30 PM
    bayrak

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    I'll shoot you a PM - was a pretty good deal IMO

Pirhett[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Feb 23, 2017 at 5:15 PM
    bayrak

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    Got my TRD CAI installed today

18. Mar 4, 2017 at 8:56 PM
    bayrak

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    Today I got out with the Vancouver Island group and we tried to make it to a local hut along the Kludahk hiking trail.

The area received some fresh snow overnight, which covered the slick ice underneath. Almost slid off once but after a bit of shoveling, and use of my tread recovery ramps, made it out. Brought out the strap just in case though...

20170304_124323.jpg

20170304_130631.jpg
    Unfortunately there was a little more snow then expected which left us hiking in further then we anticipated. After about a mile of packing through deep snow, and realizing we were still over a mile away to the trail head, we decided to turn back and try again when we can bring our boards and a sled for the little guy (not mine..)

20170304_132842.jpg
    20170304_133039.jpg

Ended up finding a wicked new camping spot!

IMG_5489.jpg

IMG_5488.jpg

Untitled.jpg

19. Mar 17, 2017 at 8:09 PM
    bayrak

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    Been out exploring some more local spots around town - found the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada's Centre of the universe.

IMG_20170313_133526_738.jpg
    And Did a run near Jordan River with my buddy and his hummer on dirty 7's

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  20. Apr 11, 2017 at 10:57 PM
    bayrak

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    Was in duncan for an interview so decided to go Exploring on Mt. Prevost. Hope to be spending a lot more time in the area this summer

Can anyone spot 2 new things installed:boink:

Products Discussed in

To Top