1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

help with wiring/unwiring DTRL

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mattsowell, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Jul 16, 2014 at 9:17 AM
    mattsowell

mattsowell [OP] Ridiculously lazy member

Member:
    kamloops, bc
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD DC SB sport debadged
    no seatbelt chime, stubby antenna, 5100's front and back with AAL, offset rims with Dura-Trac rubber, weathertec mats, Image Dynamic sub with 5 channel Amp and Kenwood Deck with steering wheel control, PIA bulbs, K&N air filter, ARB Delux front bumper
    help with wiring/unwiring DTRL
    Hey guys. I know this is not a new topic but after searching the site and google I have not found a resolution to a fairly unique situation. The setup to this is that I purchased my taco from the states to drive in Canada. DTRL are mandatory here so as part of the import the DTRL are hardwired. To make it more interesting, I had a company do the import for me which cost me money but I didn't have to do anything but pick it up at a dealership in Vancouver. Saved money..........which is now biting me in the ass a bit.

Actual issue: the headlights have been hardwired as DTRL. THis is burning out my PIA bulbs almost every year. I have looked behind the fuse box and it has not be installed anything like what you guys suggest within the TW forum. I have attached a couple pics of what it looks like back here and I'm not even sure its this side of the firewall that I should be looking. Anyone out there an electrician that can lend a hand? much thanks
    matt

image-8.jpg
    image-7.jpg
    image-5.jpg

2. Jul 17, 2014 at 10:01 PM
    Jerez

Jerez SoCal LED Dash Swap

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Diamond Bar/Ontario, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 2wd converted to 4wd
    Estock
    Tbis^^ they probably ran the trigger for the headlights to the dtrl relay behind the dash

3. Jul 18, 2014 at 12:39 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Have you contacted the company and asked them how it was done. Better than having people guess who did what to whom on the internet.

4. Jul 18, 2014 at 7:24 AM
    mattsowell

Member:
    kamloops, bc
    Vehicle:
    no seatbelt chime, stubby antenna, 5100's front and back with AAL, offset rims with Dura-Trac rubber, weathertec mats, Image Dynamic sub with 5 channel Amp and Kenwood Deck with steering wheel control, PIA bulbs, K&N air filter, ARB Delux front bumper
    asked them but to no avail. whoever worked there is no longer employed and they didn't give any further help. I'll be pulling my truck apart this week more than likely and one of the members here has given me some instruction. thanks for the help so far and I'll keep you posted

5. Jul 18, 2014 at 9:44 AM
    doughboy

doughboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    norcal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    hid head lights, hid fog lights, always on fog lights, bed lights
    I think I mentioned this to you in another thread, start at the headlight relay in the engine compartment.

hlcircuit_bc8e0ae980c633abec372634f3907cc3d5417255.jpg

6. Jul 21, 2014 at 10:13 AM
    mattsowell

Member:
    kamloops, bc
    Vehicle:
    Hey all. thanks for the replies! Given what you guys mentioned I looked under the dash again with no results. I did know it wasn't going to be in the engine compartment since there was no obvious mods done there. What ended up being the fix was under the light switch itself. I took the steering column cover off and there was a small relay tucked in and spliced into the wiring there. I snipped it off and tested and sure enough there was no more headlights on. Everything else worked as it should. All very good info from you guys and sometimes you just need to get in there and tear some shit apart!

Products Discussed in

To Top