1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who ones a tacoma but has older toy for wheelin

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Toyota Man, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Aug 19, 2009 at 1:18 PM
    Toyota Man

Toyota Man [OP] Toyota Man

Member:
    Oregon, Centeral Willamette Valley
    Vehicle:
    11' DCSB TRD super charged off road
    TRD super charger, TRD cold air intake, and exhaust. Downey coil overs coming soon
    I have an 08 dc 4x4. I bought this truck for fun and exploring, but have since decided that I don't want to scratch it up and beat it while I am still paying for it. Does anybody else have a second toy. I was thinking an 81 since that is what I stared with when when I was 15. Show me what you got and what you think, or should I sell that DC and just keep an old toyota around. I live in Western Oregon it is brushy.

2. Aug 29, 2009 at 8:12 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    There are several of us on this board with older toys. I have an 88 I am fixing up to make road/wheeling worthy. Dark Knight just purchase an 84 PU. Munky has an 86 xtra cab. The older toys are a blast. The 22R series is a great motor. There are a lot of aftermarket stuff for it. The 3.0 is a good one also (6 Cylinder) but there is very little aftermarket support.

3. Aug 29, 2009 at 8:17 AM
    04coma

04coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Temple Texas
    Vehicle:
    04 trd offroad sr5 prerunner debadged
    air aid intake and throttle body spacer billet grill clear corner lights and 3rdbrake decal "coma" :)
    Yea i made the mistake of goin two trackin and got scrtaches on my taco:(

4. Aug 29, 2009 at 8:29 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    I did the same to my tundra cutting wood in the snow. Found a rut and slid up against a tree enough to put some small dents in my drivers and access door. At least with the 88 I can just say "OOOPS", chuckle then carry on.

5. Aug 29, 2009 at 10:47 AM
    Toyota Man

Toyota Man [OP] Toyota Man

Member:
    Oregon, Centeral Willamette Valley
    Vehicle:
    11' DCSB TRD super charged off road
    TRD super charger, TRD cold air intake, and exhaust. Downey coil overs coming soon
    Yeah I have had 7 Toyota's over the years and by far the funnest was the 93 extra cab I had. I am having a hard time justifying making a payment on the current Taco and then buying an older one for fun in the woods. I am debating selling the Taco and just buying another old Toy most likely an 81 thru 85. I want another straight axle. I took the Taco up to do some hiking last weekend with the family but got a new scratch while not noticable to the naked eye or others I see it and it bothers me. $300 a month should stay nice for a while or at least until its payed for, but I want to use it as that is why I have it. It is just nice having something that I can take the whole family in. I don't want a 4runner, I like the versatility of a truck.

If you all have pic's of your second fun toy rides I would like to see them. Having something to look at will make me envious and finally do something about it and get one. :)

6. Aug 29, 2009 at 12:28 PM
    desertdude59

desertdude59 CRAZY 4WHEELER

Member:
    From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful W
    Vehicle:
    1991 toyota 4x4 sr5-lost but not forgotten
    4" lift after market front bumper bed mount lightbar/roll bar (4)6" kc's on the roll bar (2) kc flat back bumper mounts f/r gears for the 33's
    My 91 xtra cab toy is great for offroading. If I scratch it then no big deal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Aug 29, 2009 at 1:05 PM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    Nice ride Desert!!

8. Aug 30, 2009 at 12:26 AM
    zidaro

zidaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    mammoth lakes, ca
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    87runner with some mods, 08 V8runner ready to rock
    i have a '96, an '87 4runner, and an '85 extracab. all interchangeable.

9. Aug 30, 2009 at 1:52 AM
    GEARAHOLIC

GEARAHOLIC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KELLEN
    PASO ROBLES, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Black on Black BEAST
    73 DODGE W200....current project- built 360, dana 60's, fuel cell, flatbed...
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    99 MAZDA PROTEGE RALLYE[​IMG]

10. Aug 30, 2009 at 3:41 AM
    GEARAHOLIC

Member:
    First Name:
    KELLEN
    PASO ROBLES, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Black on Black BEAST
    I dont understand the question...???

11. Aug 30, 2009 at 3:48 AM
    GEARAHOLIC

Member:
    First Name:
    KELLEN
    PASO ROBLES, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Black on Black BEAST
    oh it was halfway jacked up...I was wrenching on it

12. Aug 30, 2009 at 3:49 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I used to have a dedicated trail rig.... I built up a Jeep Wrangler. Just sold it about 2 months ago.

I would've loved to have an 84ish Toyota with solid axle - but instead, I chose a Jeep Wrangler instead. I already had 96 tacoma as a daily driver. Why did I chose a jeep Wrangler over an 84 Toyota?

1) I can get a newer 90ish Wrangler and not worry about rust and the frames falling apart.
    2) 90's Wranglers have 6 cylinder engines (84 toyota's do not)
    3) 90's Wranglers have solid axles (the only real benefit in getting an 84 toyota)
    4) Jeeps have tons of aftermarket support
    5) Jeeps have tons of parts and the parts are interchangable
    6) Wranglers are convertible

Not trying to sell ya on a Jeep - but that's the exact reasons why I got a jeep instead of a Toyota. I sold my jeep a couple months ago because I'm just not using it like we used to. I'd been wheeling for a good 9 years and have seen a lot of guys build-up Toyotas. They're damn good rigs when they're built properly. However - the frames, body, and some mechanical parts are soooo rust prone and fall apart. I've seen guys built the piss outta their rigs only to discover the frames are toast - and they'd had to start over from scratch with something else. I've also seen some damn good toyota builds that never fall apart because the people built it properly, replaced & repaired things and didn't skimp on their builds. So- It all depends on YOU. How much skills, time, & money do you have to build a sweet toyota (or jeep). The jeep I built was bulletproof and I never had problems with it. It was very reliable because I made damn sure it was prestine when I bought it, maintained it, built it up properly.

13. Aug 30, 2009 at 5:41 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    Janster, I know you are in PA and it may be the same for you as it is around here. Our trails are ALL through the woods. Trails are tight and most of them are cut by Jeepers who have tight turning radius'. Trucks don't do as well unless it has a short wheel base.

If I was to buy a trail rig, it would be a Jeep. And scratches are easy to come by around here because the trails are sooo tight. I decided against taking my truck into any tight trails. I think I'll wait a couple years and look for an old Jeep to fix up for wheeling.

14. Aug 30, 2009 at 5:50 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Same reason I got a trail rig. Tight trails and overall damage to the daily driver. If you broke something, how would you get to work on Monday?

Having a trail rig is nice....although it is expensive. Afterall, you still have to carry insurance on it, and you need to make sure its streetable enough to get you to/from the trails safely. Trail rides are more relaxing....because you're not worrying about every little thing/obstacle/tree branch, etc.

The only worries you might have...is how to get home if you break something. How do you get the vehicle back home when you break something.
    My husband and I carried AAA Plus. Never had to use it though.

Good Luck if you get a jeep. TONS of info out there to research. My husband and I went wheelin in Wellsville one time.... Very interesting area.

15. Aug 30, 2009 at 9:06 PM
    desertdude59

desertdude59 CRAZY 4WHEELER

Member:
    From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful W
    Vehicle:
    1991 toyota 4x4 sr5-lost but not forgotten
    4" lift after market front bumper bed mount lightbar/roll bar (4)6" kc's on the roll bar (2) kc flat back bumper mounts f/r gears for the 33's
    Thank you. Thank you. As my buddy once told me , " They will never be finished, They only evolve." Im sure all Toyota owners know that one. lol

Products Discussed in

To Top