1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Remote Battery Terminal Install

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by WickedTaco, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Jul 16, 2014 at 5:38 PM
    WickedTaco

WickedTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 Silver DC TRD OR 4x4
    iPod Interface, Bully Tailgate Lock, ScanGaugeII
    I'm looking to install remote battery terminals like one of the ones in the pics but I haven't been able to find much info on anyone doing this to their Tacoma.

I'd like to install them in the larger rear storage box, opposite of the bed electrical outlet.

I figure, with the appropriate heavy gauge wire and deep cycle battery, this would come in handy for just about anything you need battery posts for. Like extra jumping posts, an extra inverter power source with the truck off, tire inflators, and so on and so forth.

I figure the best spot would be in the box with the posts coming down from the ceiling of the box so they don't get wet.

Another idea would be routing a heavy duty cut off switch in the cab for safety.

I think I can pull it off pretty easily, but do you guys know of any write ups or experiences? Can you guys offer any advice on the project? Do and Don'ts, etc.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1405556367.103947.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1405556401.452213.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1405556423.866691.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1405557006.405964.jpg

2. Jul 16, 2014 at 5:58 PM
    hitmans.army

hitmans.army Just a guy.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Myrtle Creek, OR
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner & '40 Chrysler Coupe
    Bilstein 5100s up front with OME 885s, rear Add-A-Leaf, LED lights (tails, dome, map, plate lights), Kicker 8" in custom fiberglass enclosure under back seat, Kicker speakers throughout and Kicker amp for sub, Pioneer DVD Player, Satoshi Grille with Devil Horns, Leer 100XQ.
    If I was going to do it, I'd just get a remote battery cable set. I'd use insulated cable clamps bolted to the frame to secure it. As far as waterproofing the connections, with my remote battery in my '40, I used dielectric grease between the connections and then covered them over with silicone. It's worked great so far, no parasitic drain and no movement of the cables. I used clear silicone that way I could see if any corrosion begins at the connections. Also, solder connections to the cable, I don't trust crimped connections.
    If you don't want to run the main cable into and out of the cab, they make remote battery disconnects (looks like a ford starter solenoid).

3. Jul 16, 2014 at 6:02 PM
    03f5sp

03f5sp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road dcsb
    Front 5100s @ 2.5, 1.5 AAL, 265/75-16 all terrains
    What is the purpose of this?

4. Jul 16, 2014 at 6:03 PM
    MiataTexan

MiataTexan Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    D/FW Texas
    Vehicle:
    V6 Tacoma TRD
    I have another suggestion that might work for you if you have the towing package. Buy a 7 pin connector and make a cable using heavy gauge wire and lugs. Store the cable in the bed box and only connect it when you need it. The battery is directly connected to two of the pins in the connector. That way you don't have to worry about it shorting since it would only be plugged in when needed.

If you don't have the connector then never mind.

5. Jul 16, 2014 at 6:17 PM
    WickedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 Silver DC TRD OR 4x4
    @03f5sp - Read my post, brother.

@ Hitmans.army - All definitely noted and great advice, brother. Thank you for the value added input!

@MiataTexan - Although that is a GREAT idea, and I do have the plug, I'd like the heavier cable and lugs to handle higher drain applications like dead vehicle jumping, 1000w inverter, etc.

6. Jul 18, 2014 at 8:51 PM
    WickedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 Silver DC TRD OR 4x4
    Any other ideas/experiences out there?

7. Jul 18, 2014 at 9:29 PM
    Valsmere

Valsmere Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    EXPENSIVE
    tail gate lock, rear view mirror bracket, hood hinge brackets, and the list grows.
    Kinda like the idea actually, I see this set up on heavy duty Cat wheel loaders

8. Jul 18, 2014 at 9:31 PM
    Valsmere

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    EXPENSIVE
    tail gate lock, rear view mirror bracket, hood hinge brackets, and the list grows.
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  9. Jul 18, 2014 at 10:11 PM
    Cjanik

Cjanik Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Vegas
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 Off-Road DCSB in MGM
    OME front & rear shocks, OME 886 springs, Dakar rear leaf pack, ICON UCA, Demello front bumper, BFG M/T 255/85r16
    for that kind of current draw, you need to consider upwards of 4, 2, or 0 AWG cable. the 7 pin connector can not supply that.

To give you insight from my end, Using my wifes 8AWG jumper cable wont jump start my truck unless I wait roughly 5 minutes. Using my 2AWG jumper cable lets me jump start the truck as soon as I connect the terminals.

size does matter due to current resistance/limitations.

10. Jul 18, 2014 at 10:20 PM
    2ski4life7

2ski4life7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle WA
    Vehicle:
    17 DCLB 4x4 TRD Off Road Previously '12 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    Subbed to see what you come up with. This seems like a pretty cool mod

11. Jul 19, 2014 at 5:44 AM
    Bajatacoma

Bajatacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Off-Road, SR5, 6 speed

This is what I'd recommend and what I did on my last FJ40 and my last Tacoma; I haven't gotten around to doing it on the current Tacoma but it's on the list, maybe I'll get to it eventually. I had them under the rear of the trucks and mounted to the front bumpers and the only precautions I took were the plastic caps on the ends and I kept the contacts slathered in dielectric grease. I never had any issues despite them occasionally being underwater during boat launches and the trucks being driven through mud and snow on occasion.

From the front of the truck to the bed is a long run so you need to use fairly heavy cable- I used some old welding cable that I'd come across at one of the metal salvage places.

12. Jul 19, 2014 at 5:44 AM
    WickedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 Silver DC TRD OR 4x4
    I've been looking at wire and I agree with the 8 gauge would be too small as I've had the same jumping issues with low budget jumper cables. I've been eyeing this 4gauge cable for the project. I'm thinking 25 ft would be plenty to run the positive from the battery into the cab to the switch and back out to the bed. For the negative post, I was thinking of running the same cable in a 3ft or shorter length and using an existing bolt in the frame for the ground.

For those of you with better working knowledge of electric current; would some kind of fuse be needed or am I good with just a switch?

Thanks for all your input, folks!

Here's the wire I'm thinking of running.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000K8IZ3Q?pc_redir=1405438165&robot_redir=1

13. Jul 19, 2014 at 6:08 AM
    Bajatacoma

Bajatacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Off-Road, SR5, 6 speed
    A circuit breaker is a good idea but you'd need something really heavy duty to handle the load jump starting puts on it; I never had one in line. Warn uses a solenoid in their kit. Obviously if you're not using a circuit breaker or fuse you need to insure that your cables are protected from possible damage from foreign objects i.e. sticks and stuff coming off the road, as well as from any wear such as where it passes the edges of the frame, etc.

I'm no expert by any stretch when it comes to electrical stuff, but I'd go as large as you can for that long run if you plan to use it for jumping or may at some point add a winch. The Warn kit uses 2ga.

This kit comes with everything including the solenoid:
    http://www.amazon.com/32966-Quick-C...F8&refRID=0RNP2M9AQ2CCV9NV6B4S#productDetails

14. Jul 19, 2014 at 8:20 AM
    Valsmere

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    EXPENSIVE
    Well now it seems I also have another project for my truck!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top