1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3" Suspension Lift: HELP!

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Clay1193, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Jul 19, 2014 at 10:01 AM
    Clay1193

Clay1193 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    I recognize there's a 1000 different posts on this forum regarding lifts and I've educated myself as much as I can, but I'm at a point where its paralysis by analysis.

I need help!

I know that spacer kits suck. I've seen that mentioned regularly here. Although they're cheaper and still give the aesthetics, I'd rather dump money into something that will give lift and equal to or better than stock performance.

These are the three lifts I've been recommended:

http://www.readylift.com/products/toyota/toyota-tacoma-prerunner/sst-lift-kits/toyota-tacoma-prerunner-sst-lift-kit-2005-2013-2wd-4wd-2-75-3-0-f-2-0-r-10/toyota-tacoma-sst-lift-kit-69-5056-toyota-tacoma-sst-lift-kit-69-5056.html Independent installer

http://bilsteinlifts.com/shop/05-and-up-tacoma/3-lift-kit-with-bilstein-5100-height-adj-coilovers/ Dealership

http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/Bilstein-Adjustable-lift-kit-with-5100-shocks_p_132.html Dustin, FN Wheels (I've got a set on back order, he's been great, very helpful, informative, etc.)

I've all but written off the spacer kit given the input from you guys and Dustin. I'm inclined NOT to trust the stealership, but it looks to be a good setup as its similar to Dustin's recommendation. However, only Dustin mentioned that, with either coilover replacement lift kit, I'll need UCAs if I go beyond 2.25" in the front. Is that true? Anyone had any experience with that?

The truck will probably be 85% road and 15% off road (occasional camping trips, beach driving, etc.).

I just need feedback to formulate the best decision. I've got about 3k saved up for suspension, wheels and, hopefully new tires 285/70/17.

Thanks

2. Jul 19, 2014 at 10:11 AM
    totmacher

totmacher automotive hypochondriac

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    TN (memphis-ish)
    Vehicle:
    4Runner, Tundra
    Cut & broke off some stuff.
    I say true about the UCA. Going over 2 inches lift in the front, most people need new UCA. Some people are ok with the handling on stock UCA and 3 inch lift but most aren't. My experience with OME 3 inch lift is that the front end felt light and wandered in the lanes a bit with stock UCAs. It felt more controlled once I put on new UCA.

3. Jul 19, 2014 at 12:26 PM
    Clay1193

Clay1193 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
  4. Jul 19, 2014 at 9:26 PM
    bryanbyers28

bryanbyers28 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Woodstock, GA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Black Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    WeatherTech floor liners LED Map, dome, and license plate lighting Home made console organizer 30" LED Light Bar in lower grill Toyota Bed Mat
  5. Jul 20, 2014 at 4:49 AM
    BulletToothTony

BulletToothTony You’ll have that on these big jobs.

Member:
    First Name:
    You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
    Either 5100 kit will be ok. You should be ok and not need after market ucas if you stay under 2.5 inches, although some guys go up to 2.75 and are still able to keep their alignment in spec.

If you are just wanting validation that 5100's are a good shock to go with you'll be set, they're very popular for a reason.

6. Jul 21, 2014 at 9:07 AM
    Str8Flexin

Str8Flexin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1998 Taco SAS linked Crawler
    Lots of stuff
    Hey, if want to give me a call i could help you out with all your questions or options. The best route for performance and ride quality would be a new coil over up front with new leaf springs in the rear with new shocks. You would not have to run a new UCA with up to a 3" lift. A new UCA is only realistically needed when you are running an extended travel coil over. This route would be the most expensive. Your next best option would be to run a Bilstein up front with an add a leaf in the back. This could get you up to 2.5" up front and 1.5" in the back. (but should still sit pretty level) The only negative with this option is that if you run your bilstein at the full 2.5" of lift it pre loads your spring and tends to make a little bit of a firmer ride. Definitely give me a call if you have anymore questions or want to go over some more options.

7. Jul 22, 2014 at 5:55 PM
    ArMarine04

ArMarine04 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Beaufort, SC
    I love the coilovers, for one reason. I needed to adjust the ride height of my front end over the weekend and other than a can of man to crank that spring up it really was quite simple, easy, and accessible. Tires off, adjustment, and back on took all of 30 mins! Not to mention after I drive it around for a couple of weeks and see how it sits if I need to adjust anymore its that easy!!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top