1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sleeping platform design feedback?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Alplily, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Jul 20, 2014 at 5:51 PM
    Alplily

Alplily [OP] New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 6cyl
    Topper
    Hi all... I'm new.

I will be road tripping in September and have been researching sleeping platform designs. I'd sure appreciate your input as I am not a carpenter by trade!

The rough drawing attached shows my own one-person, cot-sized design drawing (I would use a cot, but I can't find a frame short enough. And I'd rather it was strong enough to support some cargo).

It must be sturdy/stable, comfortable, easy and lightweight enough for one person to install and remove, and it would be great if it could store flat in the garage when not in use. The basic plan uses a 72" x 30" footprint, which will fit a comfy roll-up futon cot mattress. The plywood top is supported by rails, one "broken" to all for wheel well clearance. The rails bolt into the top, so I can remove them for storage. I will also add closed cell foam cushioning and a fleece or carpet covering. I need 9" of clearance below for storage bins (factored into design).

1. Any concerns about the design?
    2. Could I make the rails out of 2 x 10 cut-to-length boards instead of building them from 2 x 4s?
    3. What is the thinnest plywood you think I can get away with? I want light weight but don't want to sacrifice strength/stability.

Many thanks!

Tacoma half platform.jpg

2. Jul 21, 2014 at 1:25 PM
    drr

drr Primary Prognosticator

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Seattle-ish
    Vehicle:
    02 4WD Tacoma
    Have you considered engineered I-joists, like these? They will save you quite a bit of weight over 2x10s or built-up 2x4s, and are at least as strong. You can make them yourself with a table saw if you have access to one.

Also, do you have a beam centered beneath the platform? If not, you'll have to use quite heavy plywood, at least 3/4". I would add a central beam, and either lateral bracing or bridge blocking to stiffen the platform from side to side.

3. Jul 21, 2014 at 1:37 PM
    Archer550

Archer550 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winnipeg
    Vehicle:
    04 xtracab TRD MT
    ARB for now
  4. Jul 21, 2014 at 6:58 PM
    Alplily

Alplily [OP] New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 6cyl
    Topper
    Thanks for the input! The I-beams look like an interesting possibility. I would consider the bedframe idea, but I have been unable to find one short enough for the bed of the truck. I have 72" MAX, which will allow me to just close the tailgate, I think.

I'm liking this set-up a lot: http://www.christopherwking.com/projects/luxury-truck-bed-camper-build/

His design uses 2x2s instead of 2x4s, which would save a lot of weight as long as I can build it with plywood only on the top. It also incorporates a cross-brace as you suggested I add. I figure I can add some corner fittings to the underside of the plywood on the top so it sets snugly into the frame, so it won't slide around. Then I can remove the top separately, which will make it easier to move. The frame would be light enough to hang in my garage.

It's fun to plan a trip!

5. Jul 22, 2014 at 9:08 AM
    BVCOTaco

BVCOTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    BV, CO
    Vehicle:
    02 Xtra Cab SR5 TRD
    ARB Bullbar
    That is a pretty nice set up there! I like the opening between the beds. I lived out of my truck for a couple months when I moved to AK back in 2007 and had a flat platform with plywood and then just put rubbermaid bins, the kind designed for under your bed, underneath the platform. Worked great.

Products Discussed in

To Top