1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rugged Fails - Don't fail me now!

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by jsi, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Jul 21, 2014 at 9:26 PM
    jsi

jsi [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    native earthling
    OK Rugged Trails I'm going out in the blazing hot summer desert
    tire 1.jpg

Don't fail me now
    tire 2.jpg

OK.jpg

Well, that's OK I have a spare, but don't fail me again on this trip.

tire 3.jpg

OK.jpg

OK, screw the rugged fails - Baby gets new shoes!
    tire 4.jpg

Two flats on the same desert trip. That is more fun than I want to ever have again. I was prepared for the worst, so the flats were more of an annoyance than anything dangerous. Still the second flat was pain, had to call a friend with a Tacoma and borrow his spare to get home. I had BFG AT's on my Jeep and they were great. I had them for 45K miles without a flat, and then sold them when I upgraded to bigger tires. I hope they do as well on the Tacoma.

2. Jul 21, 2014 at 9:30 PM
    Ghost.

Ghost. TW 1%er

Member:
    First Name:
    Raymond
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    2014 4runner Limited
    Lol this thread is awesome. I love the BFG ATs in everything but the mud

3. Jul 21, 2014 at 9:32 PM
    AZBACKCOUNTRY

AZBACKCOUNTRY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    AZ-between the hammer and the anvil
    Vehicle:
    11' AC TRD OFF-ROAD 4x4
    Pelfreybilt front aluminum bumper,AVID off road weld on sliders, RCI Offroad IFS & transmission Skid (steel), RCI LCA skids (aluminum),upper grillcraft, relentless hi clearance bumper,OEM color matched front grill color, ARE MX camper shell, wet Okole realtree seat covers,pelfreybuilt hi lift mounts,ICON 2.5 Coil-overs extended,, ICON tubular UCA's. Allpro expo leafs, SS extended brake lines.Bilstein 110 extended rear shocks.prinsu Cabrac.dwreck pod mounts OKLED 18w cubes.Baja Designs Squadron-R Sport, LED Wide Cornering, Ambers fog/driving 20" IGGY LED Single Row bar.tepui awning,rotopax 2 gallon, TREDs and mount , 100 watt renogy solar panel.victron 20 amp Bluetooth charge controller,Pro comp wheels - cooper st maxx 285/75/16 tires. Skygear bussman fuse relay smart box. ARB 12v plug hard wired for ARB fridge. Pelfreybilt gas tank skid. Smittybilt X2O 10K winch
    Mine failed me a couple times too.

I have the BFG AT also and love them.

Az

4. Jul 22, 2014 at 5:31 AM
    karmatp

karmatp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 4x4 4Runner
    Well, it looks like you had them for a few years anyway.

I took mine off my truck with less than 1000 miles on them and sold them on CL for $400. For $300 more I would rather drive on better tires with the full warranty.

5. Jul 22, 2014 at 6:01 AM
    jsi

Member:
    native earthling
    Agree with you 100% on the mud statement. Being a desert dweller I'm a baby when it comes to being cold and wet, so it isn't a problem for me. Anything much below 90 degrees and its time for a sweater. ;)

Does anybody else have pictures of their rugged fails failing?

6. Jul 22, 2014 at 9:29 AM
    schwarthog

schwarthog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB 4x4 TRD Offroad MGM
    Ultragauge, Weathertechs, Plasti-dip rims/grille surround, Access Tonneau
    Love that first picture. Can't wait to move to Utah in the fall, the high desert rocks.

What kinda stuff were you driving over that punctured them?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  7. Jul 22, 2014 at 10:38 AM
    RogueTRD

RogueTRD Learn to swim...

Member:
    First Name:
    Cade
    So. Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '14 Pyrite Mica DCSB 4x4 TRD OR
    Stacked spacer lift, 22x12 wheels with stretched 33's, tow mirrors, bull nuts.
    I sold my Rugged Fails from my first Tacoma with less than 10k miles on them and my second set from my'14 with less than 1k miles on them so I really didn't give them a chance to shit the bed. Love the first pic, good to hear you were prepared. Good luck with the new tires!

8. Jul 22, 2014 at 2:15 PM
    jsi

Member:
    native earthling
    Both flats were caused by rock bruises in the center of the tread. The first was on the old transcontinental railway bed. Its a graded trail that doesn't see much traffic, beautiful, harsh, harsh, country though. It makes you really respect the people that built that railroad with little more than hand tools. The temperature was a balmy 95 without a cloud in the sky and the sun at high noon.

The second flat was on the old Pony Express route. That road is graded gravel as well. It was actually the next day after spending the night in Wendover NV. We had a nice dinner and gambled a few dollars on the machines. I patched the first tire with some plugs and it was holding air so I figured, just how hard is a good gravel road anyway? We won't get another flat. Yeah, right. It was in the hottest part of the day, a lovely 98 degrees. I put the plugged tire back on and crossed my fingers it would get us back to pavement. The plugs did OK on the gravel, but once we hit the pavement things started to go badly. The heat from the road melted them and the tire would go flat about every 2 miles. I'd fill it back up with my CO2 tank and limp a bit further. I didn't care about the tire, but I did not want to damage the rim. Finally, on the edge of town, at 9:30 pm I gave up and called my friend with a Tacoma and asked to borrow his spare. By the time I got to bed it was well after midnight and I was beat.

Oh and don't come to Utah you will hate it here. There are funny liquor laws, cold winters, crickets, hot summers, Mormons, did I mention crickets the size of your thumb, politicians, stupid drivers, you know those crickets are ugly damn things, oh and the gun laws are friendly to gun owners. Yeah stay away :p (The truth is the place is awesome, but the last thing I want is for people to discover it. :D )

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
    Kpatt9 likes this.
  9. Jul 22, 2014 at 4:39 PM
    schwarthog

schwarthog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB 4x4 TRD Offroad MGM
    Ultragauge, Weathertechs, Plasti-dip rims/grille surround, Access Tonneau
    Haha, those trails sound cool-I've looked at some of the Pony Express paths and really want to check those out. Coming out for ROTC at Westminster. Cold winters, love em. Crickets...we'll see. Mormons, ill take em over California hippies/potheads. Politicians...again, coming from CA-can't get any worse than that :D Gun laws...great! The fewer the better! (And I agree about people discovering it-even though I'm one of the invaders ;))

Products Discussed in

To Top