1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ultimate Camping Thread

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by davestaco, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Jul 18, 2014 at 4:55 PM
    RideFast

RideFast on the flats.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Rtt are sweet!!! I'm for whatever gets people outside!!! As far as truck camping I think I am gunna sell my pop up and get my family into a tent. The pop up was kind of a pita, and all the kiddos wanted to do was play in it.

2. Jul 18, 2014 at 4:58 PM
    BabyTaco

BabyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 RC Tacoma
    90% sure I am moving onto a tipi style tent for truck camping. If anyone is interested in an RTT near wyoming/colorado shoot me a PM.

3. Jul 18, 2014 at 4:59 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    Well don't get an RTT then...kids think they're tree houses or space ships or forts :laugh: You'll never hear the end of "can we play in the tent...pleeeeeease..."

4. Jul 18, 2014 at 5:35 PM
    ImplicitlyAlberta

ImplicitlyAlberta VA6DCO

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    edmonton
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Trail Rated, 16 Tundra CM TRD
    TC Uni Uppers, TC race lowers, TC shock tower gusset/ secondary shock hoop, Modified Pelfrey rear shock relocate, ATO shackle flip,radflo hydro bumps front and rear, Radflo 2.0 CO/ 14" rear, Arb rear air locker, ARB front bump/m8000, Road armor rear bump/m8000, FJ TransCase/ Twin sticks....other shit.
    Lol. Only thing I don't like about the RTT is that they are on the roof. Lol
    I've seen people utilize trailers for this.
    I would rather be able to hope in the truck and cruise whenever I want instead of dealing with taking down my tent.

Just saying.

Whoops almost forgot.
    I have been looking into the light weight hammocks and really like the idea. Where would you store your bag though? Is there room in one?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  5. Jul 18, 2014 at 5:47 PM
    Adventurer_Alex

Adventurer_Alex Generic mall crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan XTERRA
    Hang it from a tree or leave it on the ground. It would be pretty funny to see somebody sleeping with their backpack next to or on top of them in the hammock

6. Jul 18, 2014 at 5:51 PM
    ImplicitlyAlberta

ImplicitlyAlberta VA6DCO

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    edmonton
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Trail Rated, 16 Tundra CM TRD
    TC Uni Uppers, TC race lowers, TC shock tower gusset/ secondary shock hoop, Modified Pelfrey rear shock relocate, ATO shackle flip,radflo hydro bumps front and rear, Radflo 2.0 CO/ 14" rear, Arb rear air locker, ARB front bump/m8000, Road armor rear bump/m8000, FJ TransCase/ Twin sticks....other shit.
    Yeah I figured that'd be it. Guess one should get a dry sack for their bag before hanging it in the tree.

7. Jul 18, 2014 at 5:57 PM
    RideFast

RideFast on the flats.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Just don't buy a "cheap" hammock. Spend the extra $20 and get a nice one. Well with hammock campin most people use top and under quilts. http://www.undergroundquilts.com http://www.wildernesslogics.com

I am workin on making my own quilts for a fraction of the cost using ripstop nylon and apex clymashield (prob $50ish) rather than drop $160 on a quilt.

I honestly am using a gossamar 3/8" pad under my hammock and sleeping in my trusty 15 year old NF cats meow just fine. Just like in a tent you gotta have insulation underneath. Tons of room!!! And a ridgeline to hang gadgets. Watch shugs videos on YouTube. Maybe pick up the ultimate hang by Derek Hansen.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  8. Jul 18, 2014 at 5:58 PM
    velillen

velillen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x4
    Yeah i love my cats meow. Used that thing down into subzero once or twice and it still worked (although i was wearing tons of extra clothes!) but the size was killing me. Just doesnt pack down nearly enough. When it takes up 1/3rd of the 55L bag just itself i knew it was time to move on. Though i will still use it for car camping!

Haha yeah i could fit everything in my 35L if i really wanted. But i like putting everything inside the pack and not having to actually "pack" it is kind of nice too. Just toss crap in and not have to worry about order or anything. The 35L the tent would have to go on the outside as well which i dont like to do. But my packing is also a bunch of stuff sacks. Food all goes in a stuff sack. Clothes in a stuff sack. MISC items in stuff sack. So its nice to just pull out a stuff sack that you need then just toss it back in :)

But my packs have to be a bit of multi-use so i havent gotten a hiking/backpacking specific light weight one as of yet. My packs have to be able to do winter adventurers too which means carrying ice axes, skis, poles, harness, rope, ect. Just need to much extra features that add weight. Still 4.5 pounds is something i can live with for now!

Yeah the fire is near Leavenworth in WA. Its just north of the highway and i'd be starting at the highway and going straight south. So hopefully itll work out! And should be smoke free since the winds have been blowing east (sorry about that all you in ID and MT!!)

If i dont get to go on my route ill be stuck doing just an over nighter. The hike im doing (part of the PCT) doesnt need permits or anything so i can just go. All the other hikes need permits and often need reservations :(

But they have moved the closure down further from the trailhead so its looking good! Fingers crossed!

9. Jul 19, 2014 at 11:55 AM
    BabyTaco

BabyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 RC Tacoma
    I am looking at those and Wyoming Lost and Found. Both are within driving distance to check out at some point so Ill probably be making some calls. Might see if I can set up a group buy when I am ready to buy. I won't do much winter camping this year but I am hoping to get it sometime around winter to test it out and see how warm I can keep the tent.

10. Jul 22, 2014 at 5:28 PM
    velillen

velillen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x4
    Well got back from my shortened hike. Had to cut it to just an overnight cause my dad had surgery today (nothing serious just needed someone to drive him home afterwards). But it turned out to be ok. Weather wasnt that great and the trail wasnt in the best of shape.

Anyways I started at Stevens Pass Ski Area on the PCT. The weather was ~50 degrees, misty at times, and foggy the whole day. This is supposed to be one of the best sections view and scenery wise but the fog kinda made it meh. I ski Stevens Pass a ton in the winters but had never been to it in the summer. Was interesting to see.
    [​IMG]

Also the trail had plenty of down trees over it still. This was probably the worst section really though. Nothing to bad in reality and ive seen much worse. This just happened to be an avalanche path. Broken trees everywhere and still deep snow in the ravine (saved a bit of up and down!). But the trail also took a good 5 minutes to find again since there wasnt a clear path across.

[​IMG]

The trail was also pretty muddy from snow melt out. Made the steeper sections of the trail a bit hairy but nothing to bad. My feet got a bit wet at times though from punching through snow. Also each "pass" still had snow. This was the worst and it was probably 3/4 of a mile of hiking on snow.

[​IMG]

Made it to my destination a bit earlier than planned. Well i had two spots in mind. This one and the next was another 2 miles or so but involved a 700ft climb in .7 miles and i was sure there would be lots of snow at the lake since there was a bunch at this lake. But this lake was still 16 miles in. I was averaging 3 miles per an hour or so. So i stopped here. Still foggy. You can see the snow is still around. But a cliffbar and a shot of maple jack made for a nice snack :)
    [​IMG]

My Big Agnes tent all set up with my new sleeping bag. Kept me nice and warm just in shorts and a long sleeve. I do toss and turn a lot though so it got all sorts of twisted lol. It rained at that night so i was really glad i had the tent. It wasnt heavy rain and there was enough trees that a simple tipi style would have still worked but i just prefer the tent :)
    [​IMG]

And my dinner...which was good in thought but didnt turn out that great lol. Taco meat. But i left the cheese, lettuce, and burrito shells in the fridge at home. So i literally just had taco meat....o and some Sriracha. Not exactly my idea of a great dinner. But another shot of jack and eating next to the lake made up for it
    [​IMG]

The next morning i hiked out ~5 miles or so. All downhill which was nice. But started with some nice eggs and bacon for breakfast and then hit the trail. Was out by 8am and then just had to wait for my dad to show up to drive me home. No pictures cause it was really an uneventful hike. Typical NW trail through the woods. Foggy. Misty.

Overall was an ok hike. Ill go back next year and do Stevens Pass to Snoqaualmie Pass (which includes the section i hiked) but i learned to wait. Mid August i think would be best as hopefully the snow will be gone and the trails will be dried up a bit more.

11. Jul 22, 2014 at 11:22 PM
    TXTaco13

TXTaco13 Taco/T4R Enthusiast

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    4TH GEN V8 4X4 T4R
    '83 CJ7 '19 MT 07
    Why are you getting rid of your RTT? :confused: I figured those would be great for camping without having to mess with disassembling a ground/other tent.

12. Jul 22, 2014 at 11:37 PM
    george2pak

george2pak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BIG G
    Phoenix,AZ
    Vehicle:
    4x4 sr5 TRD offroad
    Brute Force Fab front& rear bumper with winch, sliders, skid plates by Relentless, tires 285/75/16" , wheels by SCS , CB Stryker SR497 etc
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^??????

13. Jul 23, 2014 at 12:03 AM
    TXTaco13

TXTaco13 Taco/T4R Enthusiast

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    4TH GEN V8 4X4 T4R
    '83 CJ7 '19 MT 07
    I'm assuming a tipi style tent is not a roof top tent.

14. Jul 25, 2014 at 7:20 PM
    RideFast

RideFast on the flats.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
  15. Jul 25, 2014 at 10:19 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Whitebox is great alky stove. I have 6! Never tried the wood burner you're looking at but the price is right. Love to hear your thoughts if you pick it up.

16. Jul 26, 2014 at 7:09 AM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    Presumably because the one they make is a heavier gauge making it more reliable?

17. Jul 26, 2014 at 7:27 AM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    Looks like it might be made out of a bud light alu bottle?

18. Jul 26, 2014 at 7:46 AM
    RideFast

RideFast on the flats.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    ygaqenub_71ca591c0a9280fadf806e2f855f8d9caa45153b.jpg

Here's the 1st one I made. It works ok I was able to boil water in about 7 min using about 1.5 oz of denatured alcohol.
    Should I try heet in the yellow bottle?

Also any suggestions on improving my stove. I have 1untouched extra cat can to mod?

19. Jul 26, 2014 at 8:13 AM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    That's what I was thinking.

20. Jul 26, 2014 at 7:27 PM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    Funniest camping commercial I've seen and it reminds me of so many people.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EDwlizz5q7Q?list=PL5F90F53E2ED48342" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Products Discussed in

To Top