1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I am confused, need some lift help

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Stillfly199, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Aug 30, 2009 at 6:58 PM
    Stillfly199

Stillfly199 [OP] ( . )( . )

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    Ok, so here is my dilema. I have a rev tek leveling kit on right now with 285/70/17 BF GOODRICH all terrains. I really dont like the ride and am hearing all the horror stories about the leveling kit. So I am wanting to upgrade. I love off roading, but who doesnt. So I want to put the best kit on my truck. It is my daily driver, so I dont want to spend $10,000 to lift it and make it only an off-roader. I am not really looking at a budget, I just want to see what the best kit is for my truck. I mainly drive on the road, but when I go off-road I want the best ride. I want ground clearance but I know there are a lot of 6" haters so I am open to all options 3"-6". I know a lot of people are running 5100's, toytec ultimate lift kit, and OME, but are those really the best? I know this is probably a very open question but I am just looking for everyone's opinion on what the best lift kit would be. I have a 2007 TRD Sport, Double Cab, 4x4. Thanks in advance :D

2. Aug 30, 2009 at 9:15 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    Well, I think the best would be probably Icons, saw's, fox's, and then Toytec. Everyone on here love's the Toytec Ultimate lift kit, It is a great coilover and lift. But the best still I think would be the Icon or Fox coilovers/shocks. With some Total Chaos or Icon UCA's...

3. Aug 30, 2009 at 10:19 PM
    Stillfly199

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    Hmmm, good information. Thanks.

4. Aug 30, 2009 at 10:27 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    No prob!!!:)
    Here's a link to wheeler's who sells both at a descent price.

5. Aug 30, 2009 at 10:30 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    The Camburg's I hear aren't that bad either..

6. Sep 5, 2009 at 3:18 PM
    Stillfly199

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    Still not sure on what I want. If I wanted to run 33's with a coilover set to 2.5 or so, how much rubbing would I encounter? I havent even narrowed it down to 2 choices yet.

7. Sep 5, 2009 at 6:17 PM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    you'll have some rubbing with a 3" lift. You will have to do some trimming.
    The 2 I would choose from would be Icon's and the Fox's
    Both are a top of the line coilover. And are considered a supearier product.:)
    But with a 3" lift, your best bet is to go with a 285/70/17 or 285/75/16 depending on wheel size. They are a tad under a 33" and wont rub much. If any!

8. Sep 5, 2009 at 8:09 PM
    Stillfly199

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    I'm running 285/70/17 right now. I like both brands. Thanks for your help man.

9. Sep 6, 2009 at 10:21 AM
    ETaco23

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    No prob.:)

10. Sep 6, 2009 at 11:23 AM
    r12rex

r12rex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cleared headlights, Black emblems, Painted black valence on front bumper, 2.5" 5100 Billys front, 1.5" AAL rear, Satin black TRD O/F wheels with 265/75 16 Definity M/T, Spidertrax spacers
    Save the extra $$$ get the OME kit from Toytec. It includes everything you need and is perfect for street manners and off-road capability without having to deal with the extra maintenance and work with coilovers.

My rationale to the OME kit VS. coilovers:

Coilovers need to be adjusted and this can be a PITA. Does the cost justify how much you will be really "using/needing" coilovers? Every couple of years or depending on how often or how hard you go off-roading, you will need to have the coilovers serviced again...this = labor removing the coilovers + truck downtime + $$$...then you have to get them back on again and readjust the height, etc. etc. Some coilovers require upper control arms for clearance also.

The OME kit is nice because you put them in and don't have to worry about them. They are quite a bit cheaper than coilovers, perform VERY well, don't need servicing, the list goes on.

You really can't go wrong either way, but I like maintenance free items, especially long-term. The OME kit is much cheaper as well and has been proven great off-road AND on-road. The ride is very compliant, firm, yet soft and not stiff by any means. Perfect matched valving with spring rates :thumbsup:

For me, it's a no brainer...but to each his own. :)

:)

Kind Regards,
    Ryan

Products Discussed in

To Top