1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Improving upon a Pro Comp 6" lift

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by FishyRichy, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Jul 29, 2014 at 3:53 PM
    FishyRichy

FishyRichy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    6" ProComp stage 1 lift
    Hey guys, So I have a 2007 DCSB V6 with a Pro Comp 6" lift. The main purpose I bought this truck (with the lift installed) was to get down to some prime fishing spots on the Gulf Coast of Texas. So far it has worked very well for the reasons purchased, but the ride quality leaves something to be desired. I was wondering if there are rear leaf setups that I can put in place of the factory+metal block, and what front coil overs would work with this setup. Any help would be appreciated...I don't do any off road besides the beach, so i don't need anything for rock crawling etc. just a better ride for my 200 mile trip to get to the beach...thanks!

2. Jul 29, 2014 at 3:58 PM
    UNDEAD1153

UNDEAD1153 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Weston
    Chattanooga Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    White 2011 TX Pro Double Cab
    Rough Country 6" lift, 17" XD Addicts, 315/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers, 6K HID's, Wet Okole's, Kenwood DD head unit, Custom Exhaust
    Allpro custom leaf pack- $800 I hear it helps the ride a lot. I'm looking to do that in the future. Blocks in the rear suck. Not too sure on the coilovers because I haven't done much research on them. What tire size are you running? Stock gears?

3. Jul 29, 2014 at 4:03 PM
    icallhertaco11

icallhertaco11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner v6
    Engage Long Travel 6 over with race spindles. 2.5x8 sway a ways wrapped in King Coils.
    Lose the blocks and spacers. I ditched mine have Icon 2.5 Coilover extended for the 6 inch lift up front in replacement of the shit. And Icon 2.0 with resi extended shocks and Custom Atlas Leafs.
    Best thing to do is get rid of all things Pro Comp! I also recommend you get new UCA's if you get new coilovers I still have stock UCA's and I dont get much articulation when it comes to alignment.

4. Jul 29, 2014 at 4:10 PM
    DPC08

DPC08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB
    Getting there...
  5. Jul 29, 2014 at 4:11 PM
    icallhertaco11

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner v6
    Engage Long Travel 6 over with race spindles. 2.5x8 sway a ways wrapped in King Coils.
    I would jump on that if I didnt already have the ICONS ^

6. Jul 29, 2014 at 4:23 PM
    FishyRichy

Member:
    Austin, TX
    6" ProComp stage 1 lift
    I have 35x12.50x20 toyo m/t, but thinking of going with an a/t next time

7. Jul 29, 2014 at 4:54 PM
    RND2

RND2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    In my head swimming around
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB
    RCD 4"
    Ordered the Icons for my front end that were designed for the Pro Comp and Fabtech 6" lift. Im running the RCD 5" lift and after talking with Icon they should fit or be able to adjust down to 5" there the 6/7" but the colapsed and extended length are pretty close. They should be here this week or next so if they don't fit you may be able to get a good deal (hint Hint).

8. Jul 30, 2014 at 9:53 AM
    FishyRichy

Member:
    Austin, TX
    6" ProComp stage 1 lift
    Well letme know what happens...

9. Jul 30, 2014 at 10:09 AM
    357sig

357sig Donut king

Member:
    First Name:
    dough boy
    donut shop
    Vehicle:
    Gold digger
    I wanted icons! Went with kings instead.

2r70ar5_30888b25a8bd8ef0c8b1d2ddb4d352e4582f3c08.jpg

Op!! You better jump on that deal! Think they are 1800 new? Same ones I have
    indeed!

If the icon are the same length at the kings, 5 inch I got be a little low.

10. Aug 1, 2014 at 5:59 AM
    FishyRichy

Member:
    Austin, TX
    6" ProComp stage 1 lift
    So I have been doing a little research, and I think I am going to go with the atlas rear leaf packs unless I can find someone local that makes something similar. The Icons and Kings look great for the front, but I was wondering if there is a cheaper option since I don't need the top of the line off-road susspension. Is there a quality coilover that provides a good ride quality for $800 or less for a pair? I would jump on the craigslist kings, but am just researching at this point and saving the $$. I really don't do anything besides 60 mile runs down the untammed beaches...

11. Aug 1, 2014 at 7:12 PM
    icallhertaco11

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner v6
    I mean the thing I'd kinda recommend would be get the direct bolt in Pro Comp coilovers. That would be if FOX, Icon, and King were ruled out (per your wallet). I dont know if sway a way makes custom for that much lift... The only person I know with the pro comp coilovers is Ryan and from what I've heard it just not really the greatest way to go.
    I know it's hard dumping money but sometimes even if you don't offroad its a good thing to spend a little so you can have reliable suspension that will last so you arent dumping money into broken crappy parts.

BUT FOR THE LEAFS BEFORE ATLAS I WOULD LOOK INTO ALCAN SPIRNGS: http://www.alcanspring.com/

They will pin point the leaf build to the tee!! Check them out! I just chose ATLAS since they were local but if ordering check out Alcan.

12. Aug 2, 2014 at 7:55 AM
    FishyRichy

Member:
    Austin, TX
    6" ProComp stage 1 lift
    Funny you should mention Alcan, cause I was just looking at them last night. They look like they know what they are doing there, and it looks like any way I go I will have to get them shipped. I am going to give Alcan a call and see what they can do for me. I think that will be the route I go since I have read nothing but excellent things about them and the custom tailering to my needs.

I am not going to throw more Pro Crap at this thing, so I guess I will have to either wait and save or sell something...anyone looking for a vintage ludwig drumset, collectors edition cuban cigars, or a 1999 5 spd v6 mustang with CAI and duel flowmaster exhaust hit me up!!! :)

Thanks again guys, I couldn't ask for a better resource for info than TW!!

13. Aug 2, 2014 at 11:28 AM
    icallhertaco11

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner v6
    Haha good choice man, and glad you find this site helpful it's always my go to! Put that stuff up for sale on here man I'm sure someone will buy and whenever you get the stuff down post up some pics! Always love to see transformations.

Products Discussed in

To Top