1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

03 DC Suspension upgrade options?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by JasonLee, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Jul 31, 2014 at 9:16 AM
    JasonLee

JasonLee [OP] Hello? I'm a truck.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Q322+3C Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OffRoad
    TRD Supercharger and more.
    I am not considering a lift at this point and will be sticking with the stock 265/70R16 tire size and rims, but upgrading to some LTs.

The suspension is stock except for the downgraded blue Toxico shocks that the previous owner seemed to have replaced at some point. Truck has 160k.

The rear leaves are sagging a lot and have a negative arch.

What I am looking for
    • I want a stronger rear suspension for the heavier weight of the ARE shell and gear (and not shown - 4 bikes on a hitch rack).
    • I may as well match the front end with similar performing equipment while the truck is apart
    • between stock height and 1" lift

This will be my typical use case, which is why I have decided not to do the OME 3" lift (unnecessary):
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jul 31, 2014 at 10:05 AM
    Box Rocket

Box Rocket Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    3xLocked, lifted, well used
    I think if you are trying to stay stock height, or close to it I'd keep it pretty simple. The stock front coils are probably adequate, but it might be a good move to upgrade the front shocks to some Bilsteins. They'll give a little firmer more controlled ride up front and give you adjustability to dial in the height where you want it.

As for the rear, you could go cheap and just do an add-a-leaf but you'll probably get more height than you want going that way and you're still running your worn out stock springs. If it were me I would get a hold of Alcan springs. They will custom build you a set of leaf springs to your specs. They tend to run a little taller than they say, so I would just order them at stock height and they'll probably give you the 1" or so that you want. They will also build them at whatever load capacity you want. If you can tell them the minimum, average and max weights that you generally carry they will build a spring to work.

I've used Alcans on a couple different trucks in the past and they are really nice quality. Not exactly cheap, but they are worth the cost. I've had good experience with them.

3. Jul 31, 2014 at 5:46 PM
    JasonLee

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Q322+3C Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OffRoad
    Which Bilsteins would you recommend? 5100's? Or just the 4600 OEM spec that should be on the truck?
    If I do go with the Alcan and end up with a 1" lift, do I need to get some 5100 adjustable shocks?

4. Aug 1, 2014 at 4:28 AM
    Bergy1

Bergy1 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Gen 1 TRD
    Bilstein 5100 for front and 5125 for rear. Great combination for stock ride height. Did mine and much improved ride.

5. Aug 3, 2014 at 11:22 AM
    JasonLee

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Q322+3C Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OffRoad
    How do I find the correct part number for stock height 5100 & 5125 Bilstein's?

6. Aug 3, 2014 at 7:03 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    I wouldn't cheap out and get bilstiens with 880s or 881s

Instead I'd get a nice coil over. Some SAW 2.0s would be nice. Or any king/icon/fox. Won't need extended travel unless you want it. But that'll mean new UCAs. But these type of coil overs bolt right in and are adjustable to the height you want including no lift at all. You can valve them to whatever you want too and rebuild them yourself for cheap after 30-50k.

You can get the custom alcans easy or wheelers offroad sells some nice ready made alcans. The 5 packs are a great pack and will be nice for the topper you have. You can even add the custom matched AAL later for more weight capacity.

I'd get some fox 2.0s out back. 8.5" will be good since you'll be at stock height. They are also rebuild able and custom valving is easy too.

7. Aug 4, 2014 at 3:58 AM
    Bergy1

Bergy1 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Gen 1 TRD
    Wheelers Off Road is where I ordered mine.

8. Aug 12, 2014 at 7:52 PM
    pickuptruckguy

pickuptruckguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    04 Doublecab 4x4
    I'm in the same boat as you. DC with a shell, want something with minimal lift.

BTW, the blue Tokikos were stock on DC's.

Products Discussed in

To Top