1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Glock Stippling 101

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Tackleberry, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Jul 31, 2014 at 12:02 PM
    Tackleberry

Tackleberry [OP] Rifleman not a cook, Appleseed program

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Shelton, CT
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2011 DC long bed Mag Gray
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, Toyota OEM Roof Rack, Console Vault, Weathertech floor liners, LUND bed extender, Gauge pod, Outside Temp, Enviro gauge, Maglite mount, J-hooks for scope stand, MetalMiller's Devil Horns, AVID Light Bar and Side Steps, Pop-N-Lock, Westin Driving lights, Hella 500 Off Road lights, Tacoma Bed Liner, Door Trim Guards, LED dome, map and plate lights
    Try my hand at some stippling last week. Had a friend who was kind enough to give up his Glock as a test run. Have to say it was not hard to do, but very time consuming.
    If you are not going to do any stencil work than you can just sand down the bumps with 220 paper. I used a Dermel in the beginning and then followed up with the 220 paper. If you plan on any design to get it to appear smooth you will need to work up to at least 800 paper. That took a lot of time, if you do go to 1500 paper use it wet.
    Instead of using the solder iron point that came with the mini-iron I made my own, so I could get a smaller “hole” and a less aggressive stipple. I used some 8-32 threaded brass screws. I cut the heads off and spun them in a drill press against a file. I made a few with different size points. I also found bending them in almost a 90 degree angle helped out a lot. Working with the iron straight up from you work, blocks you view of what you are doing and it gets very hot on your finger tips.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pirhett likes this.
  2. Jul 31, 2014 at 12:31 PM
    CrunchyTaco99

CrunchyTaco99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Tacoma
    33x12.50 Pro Comp M/T's All-Pro Coils, UCA and 3" leafs.
    That looks great! Did you cut the off hand finger recess as well?

I did mine a while back but used the stock tip. Doesn't look as smooth as yours but it does the job. Did seem to take forever! I undercut the trigger guard, flattened the finger grooves, and did a mag cut out at the same time.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  3. Aug 3, 2014 at 6:40 AM
    ready6delta

ready6delta REGULAR GUY

Member:
    First Name:
    JACOB
    Finally back in the PNW! Lake Stevens/ Olympia
    Vehicle:
    Black pinstriped 2014 DCSB 4x4 TRD SPORT
    IT NEVER ENDS..........
    Looks good love the spartan! It is a lot easier than people think. I stippled my glock and M&P and they came out great but does take patience!

4. Aug 3, 2014 at 7:03 AM
    Spurholder

Spurholder Master of Zero Trades

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OP, looks great! You've got a knack for it.

5. Aug 3, 2014 at 7:08 AM
    113tac

113tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Magnetic Gray Tacoma
    Mostly Stock for now, 265 75 16 Falken AT3W, Tinted fronts...
    that looks great!

6. Aug 3, 2014 at 6:33 PM
    Tackleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Shelton, CT
    Vehicle:
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, Toyota OEM Roof Rack, Console Vault, Weathertech floor liners, LUND bed extender, Gauge pod, Outside Temp, Enviro gauge, Maglite mount, J-hooks for scope stand, MetalMiller's Devil Horns, AVID Light Bar and Side Steps, Pop-N-Lock, Westin Driving lights, Hella 500 Off Road lights, Tacoma Bed Liner, Door Trim Guards, LED dome, map and plate lights
    Yes I did the undercut, the tip I made is really small, but it made the stippling not as aggressive. I just finished my own, but I am not to sure how much I like the design. I did not want to the same one so I changed it up a little

7. Aug 3, 2014 at 6:42 PM
    Tackleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Shelton, CT
    Vehicle:
    New one
    showphoto.php/photo/419173/cat/500][​IMG][/url]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The slight discoloration on the helmet and sword are left over rubber cement

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  8. Aug 3, 2014 at 6:42 PM
    Tackleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Shelton, CT
    Vehicle:
    Thank you all

9. Aug 3, 2014 at 7:31 PM
    SpoilsofWar

SpoilsofWar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Wilmington NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport Super Charged
    Looks great!!!

10. Aug 4, 2014 at 7:11 AM
    Tackleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Shelton, CT
    Vehicle:
    Looking to get another Glock 19 to do it again. Not sure what design to do on the next one.

11. Aug 4, 2014 at 8:53 AM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    I've been wanting to do this for quite a while now on a handgun frame. I've got the perfect donor gun sitting in my safe too so I may have to get a couple different tips for the soldering iron and give it a try. It's a Kahr that some jokal tried to sand off the texture for some unknown reason. Looks ghetto as all get out so maybe I can make it look spiffy again. I think I may have to do some sand work with higher grit paper first to give it a smoother finish before I start. There's a few gouges here and there so I'm not sure how it would turn out trying to stipple inside of those. They're not really gouges, just larger scratches from an edge of sand paper or something.

12. Aug 7, 2014 at 6:51 AM
    Tackleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Shelton, CT
    Vehicle:

The sanding took a while, I completely stripped the frame and once I got down to the 800 grit I wet sanded. Than 1200 grit than 1500 grit paper . It takes a while but you can get a mirror finish.

13. Aug 7, 2014 at 7:33 AM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    I've sanded/polished lots of plastics over the years so I'm somewhat familiar (even went all the way to tooth paste on a couple of pieces to get an optic quality smoothness... pretty cool trick if you haven't tried it yet) but it's the time part that's kept from tackling it. Just don't have a lot of that these days but maybe a good winter project once the temps start falling.

Products Discussed in

To Top