1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Extant solid fold with rack

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by RyanO, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Aug 3, 2014 at 11:35 AM
    RyanO

RyanO [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Massacusetts
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB TRD Sport
    WeatherTech Mats, Extang Solid Fold, Bed Mat, Pop N Lock PL5300, Turned off door lock beep
    Hey I have a DCLB with an Extang solid fold tonneau. I bought the cover soon after buying the truck and probably did not do enough research. Nothing wrong with the cover just the fact that it doesn't work well with a track system for ladder/bed racks. I will probably end up with a used cap for some trips, but I'm not crazy a out the look. Anyway after a bunch of research I couldn't find anyone with this combo, so I figured I would post it.

I ended up using the Summit Rack brackets under the solid fold. The brackets are a little pricey, but it is a good idea and I was in a time crunch to get something setup for vacation. The good news is that you can find the thule rain gutter towers on ebay for not too much. I also already had the thule box from the wife's 4runner. After a week of use I was pretty pleased with the setup.

Anyone who has this cover knows that it is not 100% watertight, but it stays mostly dry. I don't think the brackets made it much worse either. We drove though a couple of downpours on the highway with only a little dampness.

sy4aruqy_9cbe98b476886472aabe6bb2e6ae3431c82ad2a7.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Sep 16, 2014 at 9:54 AM
    CO Ryan

CO Ryan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Offroad
    stuff
    Nice, I have been wondering about using a bed rack with the solid fold. Thanks for the info.

3. Sep 16, 2014 at 4:11 PM
    krob32

krob32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Sierra Vista, AZ / Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    WeatherTec Digi Liners, AVS Bugflector II, TRD FJ SE Anthracite Rims, BF Goodrich AT KO2 265/75/16, AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors, Extang Solid Fold, Pop & Lock, Color Match Grill Emblem (Anthracite), Plasti Dip Emblems, Tacoma Bed Mat, Tacoma Door Sill Protectors, ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, ICON UCAs, Wheeler's Progressive AAL, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey 3rd Brake Light Cover, LED Hood/Bed Lighting w/ OTRATTW Switches, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Sockmonkey TRD Bed Decal, Proven Design 4x4 Mudflaps, BenWA's Rear Power Sliding Window, Jasper Off Road 6" Reverse LED Pod, ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Bracket, GrillCraft w/ Black Mesh and color matched Land Cruiser Emblem, LED Tail Lights, Badge Removal and Vinyl TRD/Tacoma Stickers, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation.
    Over 2 years and still dry. If you're leaking, you can readjust your install and it will stop. Nice use of space with racks.

4. Sep 16, 2014 at 5:10 PM
    hotrod53

hotrod53 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lynd
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    ‘14 DCLB Sport, ‘18 TCH, ‘13 TCH
    Weathertech floor liners moded to hold OEM floor mats, weathertech vent visors, Toyota bed mat, LEER 100XL cap, hood gasket mod to stop whistling.
    My buddy just returned his and got a soft cover. The tri fold leaked constantly, first around the tailgate and they installed a gasket. Worst of all, it leaked where the sections are hinged.

5. Oct 2, 2014 at 9:28 AM
    CO Ryan

CO Ryan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Offroad
    stuff
    Ok I'm looking at doing this, but dang those Summit Racks are expensive for what they are! Anybody know of a more cost-effective option for brackets?

6. Oct 2, 2014 at 6:05 PM
    krob32

krob32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Sierra Vista, AZ / Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    WeatherTec Digi Liners, AVS Bugflector II, TRD FJ SE Anthracite Rims, BF Goodrich AT KO2 265/75/16, AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors, Extang Solid Fold, Pop & Lock, Color Match Grill Emblem (Anthracite), Plasti Dip Emblems, Tacoma Bed Mat, Tacoma Door Sill Protectors, ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, ICON UCAs, Wheeler's Progressive AAL, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey 3rd Brake Light Cover, LED Hood/Bed Lighting w/ OTRATTW Switches, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Sockmonkey TRD Bed Decal, Proven Design 4x4 Mudflaps, BenWA's Rear Power Sliding Window, Jasper Off Road 6" Reverse LED Pod, ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Bracket, GrillCraft w/ Black Mesh and color matched Land Cruiser Emblem, LED Tail Lights, Badge Removal and Vinyl TRD/Tacoma Stickers, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation.

Products Discussed in

To Top