1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OBA with Ride Rite System and Installation Support

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by KingKoda, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Aug 3, 2014 at 6:05 PM
    KingKoda

KingKoda [OP] Never Satisfied

Member:
    Palmetto
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD.S DCSB 4x4
    Boosted TRD/URD All Terrain Sleeper w/ Sockmonkey Decals Worth +666HP
    What I want:

On Board Air system to inflate tires as needed, provide air to Ride Rite bags and general medium duty air purpose needs. I use air tools in my garage on occasion but doubt they would run off a truck OBA system; likely I’m wrong, but that would be a nice extra benefit.

Option A:
    · Ride Rite bags, OBA compressor, OBA storage tank system all hooked up and installed as factory ‘like’ and clean as possible with Tank PSI and Air Bag PSI gauge in cab with switches to inflate and deflate both independently. Have air hose/tool hookup underneath truck rear at some spot. Full on in-cab clean factory style setup. Wishing in one hand….

Option B:
    · Ride Rite bags, OBA compressor, OBA storage tank system, seamlessly installed w/ no in cab items; with tank pressure and regulator mounted in passenger side small bed cubby next to TRD bed outlet, manually inflate and deflate Ride Rite airbags and turn on compressor with switch in said cubby. Have air hose hookup underneath truck rear at some spot and air bag air inflate/deflate valve at 7 pin hookup. (or turn on compressor from in cab mounted switch) More likely…..

Reasons:

I seasonally carry heavy landscape loads in the truck bed that create excessive sag, tow various ‘toys’, and for the general kickass and damn that came in handy factor of on board air.

I've been doing quite a bit of research this evening (and months ago) on these OBA setups and Ride Rite Air Bags. A lot of solid installations on TacomaWorld, nice work - however, due to not being able to spend as much time as I once did on TacomaWorld (job/life changes) and so many different threads and builds on the issues…I still have a few questions.

Keep in mind, I have a fairly solid idea of the workings but want to pick your brain. I am also not asking for a single person to answer everything, if you know it all, that’s even better.

Questions:

1) Are people with both On Board Air and Ride Rite bags providing pressure to the bags directly from an on board air storage tank or direct from a compressor? Not manually doing anything other than flipping a switch from the driver’s seat. I guess what I am asking also is how are you controlling/regulating the pressure from the tank/compressor to the bags? (Option A)

• If so can you point me to a thread or provide information on how you pressurize the bags accurately from the air storage tank - OR - are you simply utilizing the air storage tank and compressor to manually inflate the bags with a tire chuck as you would your tires if you had deflated them? (Option B)

2) How are you deflating the bags? With (Option B), this is fairly simply I guess, just deflate as you would a tire at the valve stem, but with (Option A) - how would this work - by flipping a switch?

3) Regarding air storage tanks, I suppose you just leave these near full pressure at all times and only turn on the compressor as needed to refill the tank? (Occasionally opening drain cock to let out moisture) But do you worry about summer/exhaust heat increasing the pressure to unsafe limits? My garage tank doesn’t see outside extreme conditions.

4) I understand/have read that the air bags should be independently pressurized to limit body roll or level out a heavy side. Some people seem to have no issue having both bags on the same pressure ‘circuit’, but is there a T check valve type device that could keep each bag air storage separate but allow inflation and deflation from the same spot/line/valve? ..Wishful thinking.

5) Off Topic: The auto transmission is the same that was in first gen Tundra, does anyone know if the rear axle from the first gen Trudra is the same as well?

What I THINK I need:

1) On Board Air Compressor (ARB, Air Zenith, VIAR): Which model(s) will fit behind the passenger taillight bulk head? I plan to mount this hidden in front of the passenger rear taillight bulk head area.

• Can I power the compressor by tapping into the TRD bed outlet positive wiring and grounds? (I also suppose this requires pushing and activating the inverter switch?)

• Or would I need a fuse block and run power from the batter?

2) Air Holding Tank (A ~5ish gallon tank mounted between hitch and spare - http://shop.air-zenith.com/5-gallon-air-tank.aspx - It's aluminum as recommended)

• Will this work? Appears to be what other members have used and mounted, double checking for advice.

• I think I would also run a check valve from compressor to tank to hold air in-tank should compressor power down etc. Where/Which part?

3) Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags and Daystar Cradles

4) Pressure Gauge and regulator mount for small passenger bed cubby (need more info on what to get here)

4) Option A extras if that were feasible, in cab switches, wiring, gauges, etc. – But I would be more than happy if I could install and setup Option B in a weekend.

I know this is long winded and asked a ton, so thank you if you took the time to read it all and provide a valuable response.

I was going to make a reply on the OBA Mega thread but that may have been a slight thread jack, so I created my own to keep my specific OBA system questions consolidated.

Again, I appreciate the knowledge and insight you may be able to provide in order to help me (or others) build out and install the system I am looking to build.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  2. Oct 13, 2014 at 6:11 PM
    TryingTacoma

TryingTacoma Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 AccessCab 4X2 2.7L 4cyl Auto
    Engine Hour-Meter, Fumoto Oil Change Valve, Rear RideRite Helper Air Springs and Left/Right Pressure Guages.
    Have you found an acceptable solution to your OBA wish list?

I have a system much like your Plan A, without a pressure tank. I don't use my minimalist 12V pump to inflate tires. It takes less than 20 seconds per side of Ride Rite air bag to balance the 500Kg/1000lbs of Camper I normally carry. I positioned 2 of 100psi guages and Schrader fill valves behind the sliding window in the rear of my access cab. The 12V tire pump resides in the rear centre console, always plugged into the spare cigarette lighter socket. I can reach back and use an extension hose on the pump to individually fill the airbags. I didn't have to drill any holes anywhere but it is a bit noisy and a bit awkward but it works. Now for some improvements.

Today I ordered three, 12V, 2 position Normally Closed pneumatic valves. My plan is to move the pump to the left-side cubby compartment (quieter) and with the appropriate switches and a relay to remotely control inflation and deflation of the airbags (more convenient.) I only need about 30psi (the valves are rated to 100psi) and very little air volume, so I think this will be my solution. Unfortunately, there will be some drilling required.

Perhaps this helps. Your detailed post was very thorough. I am also worried about over pressuring the airbags so will leave the system unpowered unless I am using it.

Oct 21, 2014: Using An Air Chuck

I used an air chuck to make it easier to connect and disconnect from my fill valves and ran into a problem.

An air chuck is sealed to hold pressure so a pump directly connected to one, can easily, and rapidly, go to max pressure before it is applied to a fill valve.

Problem 1: Max pressure could damage the pump.

Problem 2: The rapid pressure drop from max (100psi) to air-bag (10 psi) when the chuck is applied to the fill valve can also damage the pump --- in my case the pump pressure gauge was knocked 40 psi out of calibration.

My Solution: I drilled a small bleeder-hole in the sealing pin on the air-chuck. Firstly, with my very small pump, the hole means the pressure can not rise until the chuck is applied to a fill valve. Secondly, because the pressure cannot max-out until the chuck is applied to the fill valve, and it drops slowly through the small hole when the chuck is removed from the fill valve, the pump is protected from rapid pressure changes.

Hope this is useful info.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  3. Oct 13, 2014 at 6:13 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    God dang this was a good post, shame it was missed the first time around.

4. Aug 4, 2015 at 3:01 PM
    HawkSloth

HawkSloth Well-Known Member

Member:
    norcal
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Access Cab TRD OFFROAD
    Any luck? Your option A is exactly what I am determined to set up on my truck.

5. Aug 6, 2015 at 7:17 AM
    KingKoda

KingKoda [OP] Never Satisfied

Member:
    Palmetto
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD.S DCSB 4x4
    Boosted TRD/URD All Terrain Sleeper w/ Sockmonkey Decals Worth +666HP
    This project is still on the wish list having recently re-greared, new tires, and some BAMF sliders.

Products Discussed in

To Top