1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Latest Avid lightbar review and install

Discussion in 'Avid Off Road' started by VanillaGuerrilla, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Aug 4, 2014 at 11:15 AM
    VanillaGuerrilla

VanillaGuerrilla [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    I know there are plenty of these threads but there haven't been any in a while and I wanted to put the information out there for guys that may be getting ready to pull the trigger on an Avid Off Road lightbar.

My ordering experience was pretty identical to others posted. It took around a month from when I placed the order to when I recieved it. Brandon answered all my questions promptly by email and updated me when they started building and when the bar shipped. The guy was a total professional about everything and it showed in the quality of work. Great welds, great bends, awesome light bar.

For me deciding how to finish it was the hardest part. I live in a rural area and not a lot of people aroud here do spray on liners which is what I originally wanted. I got a couple quotes from local paint & body shops to have it painted and they were redicilous.

UPDATE: Updated on 4-30-15. This paint did not hold up well. After a few months some of it ended up chipping off during a wash while scrubbing bugs off. I may have to bite the bullet and get it powder coated.

I ended up going to the local walmart and getting 2 cans of each of these:
    a8edatyh_420e4846d2944558259655ca18e8a9065501db7b.jpg

I did 4 coats of primer and 3 coats of the paint, after a light sanding. I'm real happy with how the paint turned out. A fine texture that is pretty close in appearance to the factory bedliner, which is what I was looking for.
    e2amy3yq_b088eff1b28f980b93df410b4a67a0b630b5047c.jpg

Plus I'm in the finish for about 20 bucks. Excuse the dirty truck, I just couldn't wait to mount this deer catcher:
    ada3y4ad_352776821bf07fe9acfc40c8e435f4862181495a.jpg

Oh yeah the install is really easy. I had to get a deeper socket, I think its 2.5". 14mm. The bar itself is only about 32 pounds so laying under it and hanging isn't much trouble.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  2. Aug 5, 2014 at 3:39 PM
    badphish14

badphish14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD OFF ROAD
    Nice man!

3. Aug 14, 2014 at 7:35 AM
    Colorado

Colorado Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 Double Cab L/B
    Looks good! I'm contemplating options right now, this is pricey but would like a lower profile bar like this. On the top of the list right now. From your top pictures it's definatley thicker then I thought.

4. Jun 17, 2015 at 11:31 AM
    VanillaGuerrilla

VanillaGuerrilla [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    UPDATE:

This paint is wack. Don't waste your time. It held up fine for a few months but after 5 or 6 washings it started comming off while scrubbing bugs. Still have not found any good powder coat options in a reasonable distance from me so I may have to do a DIY herculiner type project.

Products Discussed in

To Top