1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help/Guide replacing rear bumper Gen 1

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by wizardfishin, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Aug 6, 2014 at 2:13 PM
    wizardfishin

wizardfishin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner SR5, TRD offroad, stepside
    When I purchased my 2001 Pre-runner, the previous owner threw in a complete replacement bumper that had never been taken out of the boxes. He had seriously dented up the passenger side of the rear bumper backing into something at some point. It is a step bumper, and a stepside bed on the truck. I want to replace the bumper myself in the next couple of weeks.

I have been looking online anywhere i can think to and particularly in the TW forums, and have not found a comprehensive write up of how exactly to do this, or exactly what tools I would need. I don't think its a hard process, but never having done it, it'd be nice to read through the process first.

This is my first truck (only had it for about a week) and I have never done a lot of work on my own vehicles, but I am determined to learn how to do as much stuff on my own now as I can for my truck, and I am pretty good with my hands.

Do any of yall know of a guide describing replacing the rear bumpers on a gen 1 tacoma, or know exactly what tools I would need? Thanks Aaron

2. Aug 6, 2014 at 3:26 PM
    paranoid56

paranoid56 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    14 double cab taco
    unhook the license plate lights and unbolt the bumper. iirc its 2 bolts per side holding it on.

3. Aug 6, 2014 at 3:27 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    Yup. 2 bolts per side.

4. Aug 6, 2014 at 4:27 PM
    68dave

68dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Baltimore/WV mountains
    Vehicle:
    $500.00 project 04 TRD 4x4 Lifted 4runner Stock Tacoma TRD Lifted 94 FZJ80 Stock 95 FZJ80
    Toytec Boss kit & OME leafs, 231mm tundra brakes SCS wheels...
    That's too much work, just sell that new bumper to me!:D

5. Aug 6, 2014 at 4:42 PM
    welterbf123

welterbf123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    12voltsolutions.com plug-n-play remote start system. OVTuned OEM Bed lights Underhood and footwell lights Garmin dash-cam Weathertech side vents, bug shield, mud flaps and floor mats Extang Encore tonnau cover OME BP51 Suspension Front & Back / Dakar Leaf Springs Light Racing UCA's XD Holeshot 17" x 9" Wheels Nitto Trail Grapplers 265/70/R17 TRD Pro Grille Raptor Lights iJDMToy 30" LED Hidden Bar Light Toyota Bed Step
    Yes. 2 bolts per side. Real simple. You don't need a guide!....

6. Aug 6, 2014 at 6:43 PM
    BRP27

BRP27 When I grow up I want to be just like Me

Member:
    So far south in Texas my feet are in salt water
    Vehicle:
    04 4X4 Tacoma SR5
    3 in Ultimate ToyTec, set @ 2.5 in. AAL PINCH Weld Mod ( beat the pinch weld over inside the fender) Painted the pinch weld on bottom of cab Black Hi Lift Knock off
    My 04 has two plastic step plates on top of the bumper that also have to come off the old bumper. They come off by prying the old ones off and snapping them back on the new bumper. Not familiar with the 01 it may not have the step plates

7. Aug 7, 2014 at 7:35 AM
    wizardfishin

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the info guys. Didn't think there would be much to it. I do have the step plates on the top of the bumper, and they are also on the wrap around corner pieces that connect the bumper to the step siding. I assume these are just bolted on as well?

Threw in a few pics. I imagine I will have to pull the step plates off all three pieces, then unbolt em. May try to tackle this this afternoon after I get off work.

1007-183502_zps9bf9696b_9d89eddd0a0c6ed33f31bd492e5d47d55cd9f598.jpg
    1007-183534_zpsa8095eea_896c802744f446f4acdc0b7c1a007b1c0f703d01.jpg
    1007-183915_zps20166d7a_2a3d3e3ac55423774fa5cab238052fba9ab4270b.jpg

8. Aug 8, 2014 at 9:31 AM
    Yarddog

Yarddog Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vance
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner TRD Off-Road
    If you need a comprehensive write up for this task, you have no business wrenching on a vehicle! Very simple...only one thing to keep in mind, and that is the front bolts don't need to be totally removed if you're dealing with the OEM brackets...just back them out, the brackets are slotted so they slip out, and slip in, makes installing them a breeze.

9. Aug 8, 2014 at 11:18 AM
    wizardfishin

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    I got the step corner off last night, went to undo the bolts on the rear bumper and couldn't get enough leverage on them with a socket wrench to get them going. I'm gonna go up to my other job today to use an impact driver to get the bolts loose.

Thanks for the info about them slipping in and out of the brackets, i wasn't aware of that. I'm a complete beginner to working on vehicles and just trying to make sure before i get into anything that i know what lies ahead.

10. Aug 13, 2014 at 2:50 PM
    wizardfishin

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    I replaced the bumper last night with the aid of a friend. The two bolts on either side I was thinking i'd just pop out to replace the bumper were actually welded to the frame. To get the bumper off there were 4 or 5 star bolts on the underside, and two bolts w/ nuts on the top under the step plates and one on bottom on either side. Everything went pretty smooth takin it off until we got to the corner that had been banged up. The way the collision pinched the bumper in made it impossible to get to the last nut on the bottom of that corner. We took a pry bar and had to pry the old bumper away from the frame to get to the last nut. The mounting bracket on the corner was bent from the collision, so we took the pry bar and made it close to straight. Popped the new bumper on with no problems. Took a couple hours, mainly just messing with that corner.

I still have an extra replacement bumper if any of yall are interested. its chrome, made by Aplonex International in Taiwan, never been put on a truck. still greased up. No step plates though, just the bumper.

Products Discussed in

To Top