1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AC owners,do you wish you had a DC?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by alexc, May 31, 2013.

1. Aug 6, 2014 at 7:10 PM
    weezer

weezer Well-Known Member

Member:
    southeast
    Vehicle:
    tacoma 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 shocks, OME lifting springs, Ivan Stewart 16x8 wheels, AT tires
    fair enough. get what works for you.

i'm single so reg cab it is. :D

2. Aug 6, 2014 at 9:00 PM
    ranger098

ranger098 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Minnesota
    My DCLB won't drift as easy as an AC once the snow flys, I'll miss that.

3. Aug 6, 2014 at 9:03 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    I sometimes wish I had a 4 door to travel to Vegas but oh well.

4. Aug 6, 2014 at 9:27 PM
    DocD

DocD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mn./SoCal
    Vehicle:
    09 access cab
    Access Cab!!! Better looking (sexy), better ride, better in snow & Ice, faster. more power, higher demand, higher resale, better acoustics, Toyota just put more thought into the design of the access cab, The Toyota Tacoma Access Cab could quite possibly be the perfect truck, Now this is just my opinion!!!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  5. Aug 6, 2014 at 9:30 PM
    pruchai

pruchai KAMA3

Member:
    First Name:
    Igor
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD TX Baja
    Not enough...
    Eh. Does not work like that, unfortunately. I regularly go on snowboarding trips with 3 other people, 55 lb dog (sometimes 2), snowboards, bags, other gear. There is no way to fit all that in a 4Runner, even with a roof box.

DCSB with a shell for dogs and sometimes even a roof box in addition to that.

6. Aug 7, 2014 at 5:04 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Under the platform in my AC are the seats If I take the platform out I can haul people I have done this once in last 50,000 miles there is a huge amount of space back there when the area is flat. I really don't even like the looks of 4 door cars much less a saw off small truck!

7. Aug 7, 2014 at 5:41 AM
    grillmaster

grillmaster Active Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB SR5 TSS Sport
    Could this also be a result from pushing the truck beyond it's limits, with aggressive off-road use (4x2)? I wouldn't expect this in the 2014 models DC TSS sport SR5.

Then again, wouldn't a decent auto body shop be able to repair the crack and paint issue prior to it rusting?

8. Aug 7, 2014 at 5:49 AM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    1 truck 1 car 1 motorcycle
    Have a DC, think I could've gotten an AC and have liked it just a little more.

9. Aug 7, 2014 at 7:13 AM
    Snowbrdr1220

Snowbrdr1220 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    13 DC TRD Off Road NBM
    No thanks! I don't want to put bloody deer, turkey, coyote, or large slimy fish in the 4 runner when I'm hunting and fishing. The DC can haul me and 2 or 3 hunting buddies comfortably wherever we want to go off road, and allow us to haul bloody game out in the bed. I had a different truck in an AC before my DC, and would never go back.

I guess if you don't have many friends, or like to skip out on driving 95% of the time an AC would be perfect! :stirthepot:

10. Aug 7, 2014 at 7:25 AM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod

In my '10 I set up the platform over the seat "seats" ... limited access to the jack/storage areas ... 4 years I never took it out ... on my '14 I took the seat "seat" totally out ... made new platform at same height and now have full access to storage ...

'10 ...

[​IMG]

'14 ...

[​IMG]

11. Aug 7, 2014 at 7:25 AM
    Shwaa

Shwaa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DC Prerunner TRD Off-Road
    The DC is a little overkill for me currently, but I'd rather that be the case and have the flexibility than the opposite

The AC does look nice though, FWIW

12. Aug 7, 2014 at 7:30 AM
    Crusher

Crusher How deep do you think that is?

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Greater YYJ
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB TRD nekkid
    Debadged, Blacked out grille emblem, Alum headache rack & bed rails, OME 886 springs, OME Nitro's all around, Dakars, ARB Deluxe bull bar with Warn VR8000, leather front seats
    Don't be too quick to worry about that. My dc drifts just fine in the snow (when we get it), takes a little longer but it's easy to control and can still be fun. I went for the DCLB because I needed long bed for the quad and wanted to be able to take friends wheeling.

My wife has the ac and I can't believe how different these two are to drive. Ac feels like a sports car compared to my dc, but the dc is a much better travelling vehicle, better ride, way better fuel economy. Wife's truck is the TRD O/R and it is geared much lower than mine. She's about 1000rpm higher at 70 mph.

The other issue I have with her truck is that if you are in a tight parking spot (like almost anywhere but Costco) it's really a pain in the ass to load stuff into the cab.

13. Aug 7, 2014 at 7:34 AM
    Shwaa

Shwaa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DC Prerunner TRD Off-Road
    Is that true? Is it your particular set-ups that make that so?

14. Aug 7, 2014 at 7:42 AM
    Crusher

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Greater YYJ
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB TRD nekkid
    Debadged, Blacked out grille emblem, Alum headache rack & bed rails, OME 886 springs, OME Nitro's all around, Dakars, ARB Deluxe bull bar with Warn VR8000, leather front seats
    I haven't crunched numbers so it's not completely official, but rpms on the hwy don't lie. On longer highway trips mileage difference is significant. Hers is also a six speed where mine is an auto. I also find the auto seems to multiply the torque of the engine, the truck is always up shifting when I'm just toodling around town, keeping the revs around 1000-1200 when driving easy. Wife's truck doesn't like to rev that low, it seems.

Again, the qualifier that I have not crunched numbers, I'm more of a seat of the pants feel kinda guy.

Someone is sure to contradict me with a list of stats etc...

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  15. Aug 7, 2014 at 7:54 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    The only advice here I can give is, that if you have kids, or planning to have some. Go with DC it will save you a lot of hassle later.
    Surprisingly my wife is biggest supporter of my DC Tacoma. We have multiple vehicles including biggest Toyota SUV out there, however when we have to go to tag sales, with our two youngest kids, guess which truck we take ?
    When we have to go to home depot or garden center guess which truck we take.
    Stroll on the beach with toys full of sand, crabs and chunks of chocolate chip cookies, Of course Tacoma again.
    If I was single I would own Regular cab if I needed more room inside the cab for some outdoor sport I would get Access Cab but once married a DC is a must.

16. Aug 7, 2014 at 8:04 AM
    Crusher

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Greater YYJ
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB TRD nekkid
    You can haul a lot more beer with a double cab and a long bed :)

17. Aug 7, 2014 at 8:11 AM
    otis24

otis24 Hard Shell Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    California
    Vehicle:
    OtisBound Outdoors Bodonkadonk
    OtisBound Bodonkadonk
    edeqagus_866ef4986c04bf7e5b57541d6dc1749deac49ec4.jpg

1st gen access can here. The bed length is ideal for sleeping in. I rarely carry more than one other person. I've never wished for a double cab.

18. Aug 7, 2014 at 8:54 AM
    tacojpklx

tacojpklx Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    eric
    michigan
    Vehicle:
    '10 AC OR, Magnetic Gray, 6spd
    toytec lift (eibach, bilstein 5100 at 0, Recall springs +Sumo Springs) seat covers, tint, weathertecs, shrokwork sliders, brute force rear bumper, in bed hi lift.
    Can't fit a dirt bike in a dcsb with the tailgate closed. I'm ocd about things being tucked away and secure. Also, it may just be my perception, but I feel the tailgate up adds rigidity to the whole bed assembly. I minimize tailgate down driving, hence my 6' bed choice.

19. Aug 7, 2014 at 9:37 AM
    js312

js312 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    23 F150 PowerBoost Lariat 502a
    Husky Weatherbeaters, OEM Mud Guards, Wheel Well Liners, Bullet Spray-In Bed Liner, Gator Soft Tri-Fold Cover, Hankook DynaPro AT2 (Summer), Blizzak DM-V2 (Winter)
    I'll give you that. Took mine on some state forest trails around here the other day. Got out constantly to make sure I wasn't going to hit in the middle due to the really long wheelbase. Ended up getting to a gate at one point and must have made a 20 point turn to go back in the other direction. Daily driving, parking, etc. I don't notice the extra length. But when you're trying to turn a 19 ft long truck around on a relatively narrow trail with enormous ditches on either side every bit of extra length is noticeable. A shorter truck would have undoubtedly been easier and I wouldn't have been second guessing myself constantly.

For the amount I go off road, though, it's not a big deal. Most places I take it are old logging roads anyway with enough space where the length isn't as inconvenient.

20. Aug 7, 2014 at 9:49 AM
    hotrod53

hotrod53 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lynd
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    ‘14 DCLB Sport, ‘18 TCH, ‘13 TCH
    Weathertech floor liners moded to hold OEM floor mats, weathertech vent visors, Toyota bed mat, LEER 100XL cap, hood gasket mod to stop whistling.
    Caulk me up for DC/SB owners who wished they has a DC/LB.... now I do.

Products Discussed in

To Top