1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Durable rear shocks?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by RogerRZ, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Aug 7, 2014 at 12:19 AM
    RogerRZ

RogerRZ [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    White '14 DCLB TRD Sport

A new kid at the dealership tried something like that. He had a really dumb look on his face when I told him that even though the truck was two months old, I wasn't upside down on the deal, and that if for a second they tried to be cute with the warranty, I'd trade it on a RAM?Silverado?F150 in a second (I work around them day in and day out, and the only thing I have on them is nicer size-a smaller truck is better in tight woods--, and better resale). When he tried to bash those trucks, I calmly reminded them that we were standing in front of a truck with 11k miles on it with a bad front diff, and that my other one had gotten two. No need to bash any one else's.

I didn't buy a Tacoma. I bought Toyota's warranty and my dealership's prior service experience. I think I made this very clear on my new ownership survey. The dealership owner seemed to think so to when he thanked me for giving them top marks on it.

2. Aug 7, 2014 at 12:21 AM
    RogerRZ

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    White '14 DCLB TRD Sport
    Thanks, I will look into OME stuff.

3. Aug 7, 2014 at 1:24 AM
    rrkeele

rrkeele Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD OR Access Cab
    ARB front Bumper, Fab Fours rear bumper, Warn M-8000, OME 887's on 90000's, LR UCA, Wheelers 2" AAL, Snugtop, Tepui Autana Sky, Safari Snorkel
    Just a thought here, but maybe the shock extenders are the cause of the problem? I have read that if only using an AAL you don’t need shock extenders. This is because the droop is limited by the longest leaf. With an AAL, there is really no more travel to the shock (save the thickness of the added leaf). Maybe the extenders are causing the shocks to bottom out. When I lifted my truck, I kept the stock TRD OR shocks and put a Wheeler’s 2” AAL on the rear and it has been fine so far. I will upgrade to Dakar’s and probably OME shocks in the future, but I wanted to save some money and get a little use from the stock parts. See if they will remove the extenders next time they do the warranty work.

4. Aug 7, 2014 at 1:51 AM
    bzzr2

bzzr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    i ran ome dakars with a skyjacker h7045 rear shock, the shock is about 3/4inch longer than the ome rear shock, not much but maybe just a bit less topping out at full extension. either way my tacoma was on a lot of logging roads and wheeling trips with these shocks and i was very happy with them. for half the cost of the ome's or billies these did a very good job. on my new truck i'm running fox since ome wasn't an option, just to give an idea that i don't like crap parts either.. stock rear taco shocks are not up to wheeling applications, or constant pounding from logging roads, washboards or loads which sounds like yours see all of.

5. Aug 9, 2014 at 3:19 AM
    RogerRZ

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    White '14 DCLB TRD Sport
    I suspect most of my damage is driving roads like this:
    [​IMG]

6. Aug 9, 2014 at 3:20 AM
    RogerRZ

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    White '14 DCLB TRD Sport
    And hitting stuff like this at 15-20mph:
    [​IMG]

7. Aug 9, 2014 at 3:30 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    Rock Auto has the Rancho 5319 for the rear for $45 a shock, and they give out a 5% number...and I would be glad to share mine...

I have Rancho 5000 series on the 68 Dodge Utiline pickup (short bed, stepside) and THAT goes roads I don't even put the taco on, and had them on the 07 Dodge Ram 1500ST.

At $90 for the pair, they are an awfully good deal.

Howard

Howard

8. Aug 9, 2014 at 4:25 AM
    RogerRZ

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    White '14 DCLB TRD Sport
    I think that's the route I'll take. It's worth $50 out of my pocket to not have to go through the bother of messing up my day to sit an hour and a half at the dealership so they can change a shock every month or so. I can do it myself, on my schedule in about 15 minutes.

Not to mention, every time it goes in for warranty work, it puts me that much closer to Toyota putting up a stink due to "excessive cost" like they did on my last truck. Death by a thousand cuts, so to speak...

9. Aug 10, 2014 at 5:20 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    I normally don't quote my own threads, but I just ordered a pair of the Rancho 5319 for the back of the taco, and here is the 5% off Rock Auto discount code...If the shocks fail on me early, I will let you know...but I haven't failed a Rancho yet in the driving that I do, but I drive on dirt and gravel every day of the week.

www.RockAuto.com
    service@rockauto.com
    1-608-661-1376

Your discount code is:

Using Your Discount Code

Enter the code above in the "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart. If you are using our traditional HTML catalog, please click the "Apply" button to the right of the field. Your discount will automatically appear, subtracted from your parts order total. Discount only valid for self-service orders placed online.

Please note: We sometimes get calls from people who put the word "discount" in front of their code and do not get the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. Code must be entered before order is submitted to receive discount.

The discount takes 5% off our already-low prices. There's no limit on order size or the number of orders. Use the code for your next order, and share the code with friends, neighbors, relatives, the guy at the corner garage--anyone you know who works on cars or trucks.

This discount code expires on October 5, 2014; so don't wait!

Thanks again for buying your auto parts at RockAuto! ​

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  10. Jan 12, 2015 at 4:20 PM
    RogerRZ

Member:
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    White '14 DCLB TRD Sport
    Just an update on this, I went with the cheap Rancho hydro shocks ($100/pair), and 20 thousand miles later, they still toil on. No regrets, and although they are a wee bit rougher on broken pavement, it's a trade off I'll make to not have to chase the dealership every 10K ro change the other ones when they bust.

Products Discussed in

To Top