1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aux fuse box on 2014 DC TRD OR w/ manual

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by seafur, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Aug 9, 2014 at 11:25 AM
    seafur

seafur [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB MT TRD OR
    Sprinter bed tiedowns, Aux fuse box, AIO key, 3-way canopy light switch, 12V bed outlet, Dual Battery AGM G35, Viair OBA, Uni-filter mod
    First real mod, hope it gives some ideas and options.

I searched the forum to see what everyone was doing for aux fuse panels and found some cool brackets but they were using the holes the hydraulic reservoir for the clutch is mounted to. Having a manual transmission these bolt holes weren't available neither was the space for the fuse panel.

1. I moved the small relay box from the side of the factory fuse box to the fender just behind the hydraulic reservoir to clear some space next to the factory fuse box for my aux fuse box. I bent a small tab out of aluminum and attached it to the fender with a sheet metal screw then slipped the relay box on the new tab.
    2. I then bent two brackets out of 3/4" flat steel bar. One mounts using the screw hole from the factory fuse box. I had to replace that screw with a 6mm-1.0 X 16mm screw that was slightly longer since my added bracket made the original bolt too short to reach the threads. The other bracket mounts using the forward clutch reservoir original bolt and hole.
    3. I then cut a 1/4" piece of aluminum the same size as the Blue Sea 6 circuit fuse box. I threaded 8-32 holes in the aluminum to mount the fuse box to the aluminum plate. Then mounted a 50amp breaker on the underside of the aluminum plate, again threaded holes. I then mounted the aluminum plate to the two brackets using 8-32 flat head screws with keps nuts.
    4. I wired the positive and negative using 6 gauge and #10 lugs for the fuse box side and 5/16" lug for the battery positive and 1/4" lug for the ground. The lugs were all Ancor Marine lugs that I soldered then used heat shrink.
    So far I've only wired up my canopy dome light to one circuit but now I'm ready to start adding all my electrical accessories. I plan to add a 12v outlet either cigarette lighter style or Anderson Powerpole in one of the bed cubbies.

DSC_4695.jpg
    DSC_4697.jpg
    DSC_4698.jpg
    DSC_4699.jpg
    DSC_4700.jpg
    DSC_4702.jpg
    DSC_4705.jpg
    DSC_4706.jpg
    DSC_4708-2.jpg
    DSC_4710.jpg
    DSC_4711.jpg
    DSC_4715.jpg
    DSC_4717.jpg
    DSC_4719.jpg
    DSC_4720.jpg
    DSC_4721.jpg

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  2. Nov 16, 2014 at 7:11 PM
    sachou

sachou Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Richland, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport Acc Cab 4x4 V6 6spd
    Super informative write-up! I'm surprised nobody decided to say that this was helpful. Maybe us manuals are getting rarer...

3. Nov 17, 2014 at 10:23 PM
    seafur

Member:
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB MT TRD OR
    Sprinter bed tiedowns, Aux fuse box, AIO key, 3-way canopy light switch, 12V bed outlet, Dual Battery AGM G35, Viair OBA, Uni-filter mod
    Yep, rare I think. Thanks for the positive comment.

4. Feb 7, 2015 at 10:33 AM
    bbersanti

bbersanti Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Redondo Beach
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access TRD Offroad 4.0 V6, 6-spd
    Weathertech's, All-Pro APEX Front Bumper, Maglite seat mount, Fog Light Anytime, Aux Blue Sea Fuse Box, Toyota Bed Mat, color-match grille, 21" LED bumper Light bar, Redline Hood Struts, Full OME 3" Lift
    Great write up! I was looking at the aux fuse box how-to and everyone's looked super clean so I was sold. Opened up my hood to find exactly what you did. Master cylinder reservoir right in the way. I was looking at moving it all the way across the engine compartment but after seeing this I think I can make it work. And yes, manuals are super rare these days. Lazy asses!

5. Feb 7, 2015 at 1:24 PM
    Daveo

Daveo Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD OR
    Subbed for future review...thanks for the tips OP!

6. Dec 29, 2016 at 2:57 PM
    WindRiver

WindRiver Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kent
    Elk Grove, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4WD
    Well I am one of those rare guys I guess because I have a manual and love it! This write is a god-send ... I plan to add an auxillary fuse panel in this same location but as bbersanti stated above no one was showing how to deal with the master cylinder reservoir ... you have so for that I thank very much.

7. Jan 20, 2018 at 5:10 PM
    hammertaco11

hammertaco11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Bay, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma SR5 Pyrite Mica
    OME lift w/ HD Dakars Pro Comp 17" 7069 BFG KO2 275/70
    Such an awesome and helpful write up! Thank you for this! I cant wait to do it myself.

I have a couple questions...does this make every fuse in your aux panel always hot? Since its getting direct power from your battery are the switches you tap into always on or do you have to also wire those switches to the a fuse in the main existing fuse panel to turn on when the ignition is turned on?

8. Jul 27, 2019 at 4:32 PM
    seafur

Member:
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB MT TRD OR
    My setup has all fuses hot all the time. If you want some circuits to only be hot with ignition you could wire a relay after the fuse and use an ignition circuit to energize the relay.

Products Discussed in

To Top